Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 10:02   #16

Boat: Catalina 25, Pearson 30, Coastal 45
Re: Questions about USCG Captain's License

First, I have my Captains License.

It is valuable for knowledge and keeping up with your activities, plus it provides license that is recognized.

I agree with going to Sea School. I did in Charleston SC. They are a testing facility also and they did get the medical stuff arranged for us. AND did again when I renewed mine.

I do not believe I would have passed by doing the self study alone. In addition, experience Captains taught the course and there were nautical videos I never would have seen...and learned from.

I see it as a big positive, not the negative comments earlier.

Sam
Capt Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:14   #17

Boat: Boatless

I have a 100ton US and NZ Launchmaster. Contact Sea School. I went with them back in the 80s and they have answered all questions ever since and with a smile.

Worth every penny.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:16   #18

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Unfortunately, when they bring out the book of colored dots, I always see the wrong numbers. Puts a screeching halt to all these aspirations, even though there is no practical effect in the real world.
Being able to tell red from green is a very big deal on the water.
In relation to licensing, I have a 1600 ton oceans master and 2nd mate oceans unlimited tonnage license. I make a very good living, have been around the world multiple times but am away from home too much. The proficiency level of time at sea (underway) and continuous study for professional development...well there's a world of difference between professional mariners and yachties of which I also am one in terms of ability to manage events when things go wrong or could go wrong with the lack of knowledge.
So....I'm all for continued learning and facing testing requires substantially more rigorous study of important topics such as "rules of the road" and seamanship. Holding the cert/license is less significant than the knowledge gained through the work to get it. A 100 ton license isn't a big hill to climb if you carry the seatime that allows it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I have had my 50 Ton USCG Captains license for 10 years now.

I can tell you first hand that it is a waste of money for a Cruiser that is not trying to make money using there boat.

You want to learn the rules of the road then take a course or read a book or watch YouTube videos. There are much better ways to learn the rules of the road than getting a USCG Captains license.

Delivering boats was fun the first year or two, then it gets REAL OLD after that.

Your delivering the boat to a schedule in the worst possible circumstances imaginable.

A lot of delivered boats are not properly maintained and have no spares or tools on board, so your in a poor situation and now you become a boat mechanic. Fun Fun.

The weather is usually not in your favor.

You as captain keep the boat moving as the owners wants it at a new location ASAP.

Your working the boat delivery 24/7, so your delivery rate sounds high, but your actually making less than minimum wage.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:16   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDewDude View Post
I probably should have stated this earlier, but I have quite a few opportunities to work with this license. I'm not just trying to put it on my mantle.
Since you already know that you have a few opportunities to make some money using a USCG Captains license, then it would make perfect sense to get one.

If your young and single with no family commitments then all the better, as you can make a nice career out of it.

I have a young 27 year old friend that just received his USCG Captains license and was scooped up within a month to captain a New FP Saba 50 Charter cat out the the BVI.

Its a real dream job for him and we can see he is in heaven when he is working that boat.

Best of luck on your new Journey.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:17   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Rummage around on this site, if you haven't already, for info about requirements, test questions, and so forth.

Credential Application Process

At entry level, the two common tests are for the 6-pack and the 100-ton. The latter test has only a few more questions...

If you pass the 100-ton tests, then your sea time/tonnage time comes into play and they grant you the license that applies to your tonnage time. Hence if you were to only have time on 5-ton boats, the outcome of passing the 100-ton test would likely be a 25-ton license.

-Chris
Maybe what is being missed is the time onboard for a specific tonnage. As I recall there is a time parameter of 15yrs., sticks in my mind, as to when the time was logged. Surely the CG as a good explanation on line.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Maybe what is being missed is the time onboard for a specific tonnage. As I recall there is a time parameter of 15yrs., sticks in my mind, as to when the time was logged. Surely the CG as a good explanation on line.
I believe recency is within 5 yr and 2/3 of time in the tonnage you're testing for.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:56   #22

If if you're going to charter it is obligatory. Don't cheat because a faux charteree can come back on you if things go South. There is only one worthwhile system out there.
Mariners Learning. It is very close to impossible to pass the rules of the road section of the test without being in some kind of a course. Passing grade 90. Mariners Learning is authorized to WRITE their own test. The Coast Guard test is much harder and has fewer times and fewer places to take the test. If you would like to talk about it call me 919 732 8345. I have no commercial interest here but am a very satisfied customer.
I am re-upping my hundred ton and can get all the hours from my earlier license.
TWIC is as easy as pie unless you have been a convicted felon. The Coast Guard is extremely strict about the documentation and again a course is very helpful. They provide all the forms and make sure they are correct. The Coast Guard will knock back your application for the slightest error.
Moving directly to the hundred ton if you do have 720 days is an easy and cheap upgrade. If your chartering the hundred ton enhances credibility significantly.
Do not accept money unless you have the license, a competitor who has a license can finds out and will turn you in. You could lose your boat.
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:32   #23

Haha I am an American, I just see that's how it's spelt online and I'm a chump.

The inland demarcation line, is the 25 mile line or?

Also you say 360 days, but for the 100 ton =P do you need to have been on a certain sized vessel for sometime? I was on a 27 ton sailboat for 150 days.

Also I'm trying to get my sailing endorsement, does that entail much more besides logged sailing time?
DewTheDewDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:35   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Perhaps. The info is on the NMC site, though.

Overall, 360 days for inland, 720 for near coastal, etc. I think it's X amount of that time on minimum 5-ton boats to qualify for for 25-ton license, Y amount of that time on minimum 25-ton boats for 50-ton license, Z amount of that time on minimum 35-ton boats for 100-ton license... and so forth.

Takes some looking, but sea time and tonnage requirements are spelled out there...

-Chris
Old 07-04-2017, 11:41   #25

Quote:

Also you say 360 days, but for the 100 ton =P do you need to have been on a certain sized vessel for sometime? I was on a 27 ton sailboat for 150 days.

Also I'm trying to get my sailing endorsement, does that entail much more besides logged sailing time?
Inland/International demarcation varies by body of inland water but is specified in CFR and colregs
Old 07-04-2017, 12:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I believe recency is within 5 yr and 2/3 of time in the tonnage you're testing for.
You may well be correct. The 2/3 does ring a bell. I thought it was 15yrs. but it is longer than that I looked into it and at that time both my son and I had missed the boat so to speak on the time. My boat had sail long ago.

Just as a point I recall, military time on board counts although neither of ours was.

Just as a point for any ex Navy or CG guys with an interest. As I said my input is dated.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:51   #27

Quote:
You may well be correct. The 2/3 does ring a bell. I thought it was 15yrs. but it is longer than that I looked into it and at that time both my son and I had missed the boat so to speak on the time. My boat had sail long ago.

Just as a point I recall, military time on board counts although neither of ours was.

Just as a point for any ex Navy or CG guys with an interest. As I said my input is dated.
Navy or CG time is dependent on which rate you sailed as and is granted at a percent of time served but the time doesn't expire.
Old 07-04-2017, 13:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Navy or CG time is dependent on which rate you sailed as and is granted at a percent of time served but the time doesn't expire.
I hope that is good info. for someone. I can't see someone going for a license unless it is to be used. I laugh at, Captain Bob because he got a 6 pack. Bob is someone I know.
Old 07-04-2017, 14:11   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Oh - ok no worries then. Don't let those pesky Brits influence your spelling! I live in the Caribbean and have British Ex-Pats "correct" my spelling all the time. The struggle is real!

As a few other posts said, the line varies, but generally it follows the most seaward points of land.

Yes - I don't remember all the intricacies of the sea time anymore, but I would say that if your time on the 27 ton boat, you would qualify for a 50 ton license. The sailing endorsement is mostly another short exam. When I did it, it had some crazy questions about how to reef square rigged boats or some such nonsense.

If you are thinking about working your license, get as much as you can. Never let your license (or lack thereof) hold you back!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 20:02   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

FYI: you dont have to take any class. All you have to do is meet the requirements and pass the exams.

You can find all the requirements at https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, license