Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 06:04   #1

Lessons needed St. Pete

Hi. I just purchased a 32’ Beneteau and need sailing lessons in St Pete. My friend that’s a captain was going to teach me but got sent of out of state just after I bought it. So I’m currently headed up shits creek.

I have basic sailing knowledge (ASA101) and power boat experience but nothing this large with as many components. Help please! Let me know rate and availability.
Jewell96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 07:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Lessons needed St. Pete

PM sent
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 07:16   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, Jewell96. You're OK. There are three sailing schools in St. Pete that I know of. Start with Googling St. Petersburg Sailing Center.
Old 17-06-2020, 07:29   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

My advice would be to visit local marinas, docks, and yacht clubs and find someone with a B32 like yours and get rides on it for starters. A lot cheaper and less likely to end up with problems.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 07:37   #5

Thanks. I’ve taken classes at St Pete Sailing Center but looking for lessons on my vessel vs the Ideal 18’s.
Jewell96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 08:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewell96 View Post
Thanks. I’ve taken classes at St Pete Sailing Center but looking for lessons on my vessel vs the Ideal 18’s.

Smart move! Be it me, or another ASA Instructor with blue water experience, take lessons on your boat. He or she will teach you how to dock YOUR boat and how to single hand YOUR boat.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 09:22   #7

PM sent. I am in the Tampa Bay area and willing to teach you.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 11:15   #8

Boat: American 14.6
Talking Re: Lessons needed St. Pete

Hi Jewell...

Most sailing schools will gladly teach you on your own vessel.

And get them to take you out of the bay into open water...preferably on a windy and choppy day.

I took ASA 103 (Coastal Cruising) on a 43' sloop back in March.

I was dreading our class because the weather sucked. Day 1, it was blowing 20-25kts, gusting 30+, seas 4-6' with occasional 8+'. We had 2 reefs in the main and a little bit of headsail out and still making 7 knots. This was a big deal for a fair-weather sailor like me.

What did I learn? Reefing in some gnarly conditions. I learned the boat wasn't going to fall over (I was always very conservative with heeling in the past and would never let the boat heel far before easing the sails or heading up a bit). I learned how to anticipate the wind gusts and be ready on the helm. I got to experience weatherhelm unlike anything I had ever experienced and how to adjust the sails to minimize it. I learned how to heave-to under these conditions.

The next day was blowing almost as hard, but we were in protected waters so sea was not quite as lumpy. We practiced man-over-board under conditions that might actually exist when someone goes over. The instructor said he had never gotten the opportunity to teach MOB in those conditions...it was a nearly perfect classroom for us.

It was a fantastic experience that I never would have gotten on my own (I would have stayed tied up at the dock ). Those conditions I was dreading turned out to provide the best education I could have gotten. I now have more confidence in my ability, and the boat, to be able to handle it and get home safely if I end up in those conditions.

Enjoy your new boat, and happy sailing!
RileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 11:35   #9

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

We had a day like what RileyBoo described when we took our 103 course as well. It was ideal for learning what to do and what not to do. We had a "real" MOB situation - well sorta, the Magma grill cover blew off due to the high winds. I was on the helm and instrctor standing next to me when I noticed it blow into the water behind us. We were making almost 7 knots. He looked at me and smiled... so I yelled "Man Overboard" and the rest of the crew snapped into action. We recovered the cover (which saved the Instructor a few bucks)! Finding a dark blue piece of canvas in a blue ocean is HARD - speaks volumes to wearing light colors when sailing/on PFDs.

Being taught at the extremes is what you want to have a full breadth of experience. Dealing with the mundane is much simpler.
Old 17-06-2020, 12:26   #10

I first learned when I was 7 years old in Flying Juniors. I then sailed Hobie Cats, Lasers and lots of Windsurfers. Only now in my 50s do I sail 'big boats'. I think there's no replacement for sailing small boats with no instruments except the wind on your face, ripples and waves on the water and your body weight as a critical element of trim. More than anything the fun of sailing takes root in your DNA. Do both!
BoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 13:06   #11

Boat: Island Packet 350

Highly recommend Cpt. Danny Blankenship based near you in Palmetto. PM me if you need his number.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 23:15   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I took the NauticEd online sailing courses finding them very comprehensive.

There are instructors associated with the school in Tampa/St. Pete. I found the instructor really great.

Bennie Ficarrotta <seafarersway@gmail.com>

Contact Bennie or Grant at NauticEd.com

Well worth every penny.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote