Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 06:37   #1

In Need of Experience

I was introduced to sailing when I was young and enjoyed spending weekends with a friend's family on the Great Lakes in Michigan on their Catalina. I've enjoyed Hobie Cats and have always owned some sort of power boat. I've taken all the ASA Coastal Cruising courses and have completed a couple of bareboat charters in the Carribean.

I now live in the Florida panhandle on the Gulf Coast and aspire to build more sailing experience. The goal would be to eventually own a cruiser and spend a few winter months/year a bit further south (Keys, Carribean). I just don't feel comfortable enough with my experience to buy my own boat. I also have no experience other than very near shore coastal cruising. I have not been able to find any local sailing clubs and there are very few cruising sailboats in our area (mostly fisherman!)

Sorry for the long intro, but here's the question:

What is the best way to build experience for the type of sailing mentioned above? Are there any forums for delivery captains looking for an extra hand or others simply looking for company on short or even longer passages? Is there a place where classifieds are posted?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
breilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 18:12   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: In Need of Experience

Try crew finder
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc