Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 08:45   #1

Certifications: RYA course on holiday -> home country licence?

I am a resident in Switzerland and planning to get an RYA qualification during my holidays in Spain, because I am much more interested in ocean sailing vs lake sailing.

However, I am reading here, that the skipper must have a licence from his home country (my case CH - we don't even have see here...) or prove, that he/she was resident in the country he/she obtained the licence (not going to happen on a 3weeks holiday stay).

Does that mean it's a waste of effort getting a licence in the warm seas, I can't even go back to where I got certified to rent a boat?
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:21   #2

Re: Certifications: RYA course on holiday -> home country licence?

Hey Tom,

we have been in a similar "having no clue situation" last year.

You can look for RYA schools and certification. They offer various levels of certifications, from a 2-day "Start Yachting" weekend up to a several weeks/months training and certification of the so called "Yachtmaster".

As far as I can tell, those certificates are globally well accepted when it comes to chartering a boat for a holiday.
(In fact, many charter companies I have seen so far, do ask specifically for the "RYA Day Skipper" certificate, or something comparable as minimum before they are willing to give you a boat.)

Depending on what you want, you can start with the Competent Crew or directly plan for the DaySkipper if your holiday is long enough.

RYA education scheme - General Infos/Overview

RYA Day Skipper

RYA Yachtmaster Info

If you are serious about sailing, then this might be what you want.

Best regards.

PS: I have never heard anything that you are required to have a license from you country of residence. (Would be pretty odd, if you move from one country to another for example.)
The RYA is, as far as I can tell, certainly not bound to your passport and internationally well accepted. - RYA would be my recommendation (regarding proper training as well as in regards to international acceptance).
sailingpzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Certifications: RYA course on holiday -> home country licence?

Hi GTom.. I'd suggest you go straight for the RYA Day Skipper course.. its not that hard and a lot better than a Competent Crew ticket.
Regarding the Country.. not relevant as far as I know.. however if you do your Day Skipper in the Med I'd suggest next time you have time off go to the UK and take the RYA Coastal Skipper course there.. you'll learn so much more about hands on navigating in tidal area's and calculating currents etc which will be useful later on when you start to venture further afield.
The Med courses are okay for boat handling experience but you learn nothing about the open ocean waters in what's basically a big lake.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:48   #4

Re: Certifications: RYA course on holiday -> home country licence?

I Boatman! I arranged for competent crew in Gran Canaria in my coming holidays in May, it's not sure if I can take time for the DS in one go, I'll see. But I definitely want to reach coastal skipper level within a year, because I'd like to buy a boat in the not-too-distant future.

I thought UK or south Africa for the skipper courses, I agree one learns a lot more on difficult waters than in the pool.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, enc