Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2022, 08:08   #1

Boat: FP Astrea 42 (Nov 2021)
Canadian sailors - license documents

For my fellow Canadian sailors, what documents du you travel with when sailing internationally ? I have a new sailboat in France and will be travelling the Med this summer. The only official document I have, apart from the boat invoice and insurance, is the Pleasure Craft License from Transport Canada in PDF. This document does not even show the boat's name ?!?!

Do you guys use something else to provide authorities or marinas when you check in ?

Thanks!
MartyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 08:27   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
For my fellow Canadian sailors, what documents du you travel with when sailing internationally ? I have a new sailboat in France and will be travelling the Med this summer. The only official document I have, apart from the boat invoice and insurance, is the Pleasure Craft License from Transport Canada in PDF. This document does not even show the boat's name ?!?!

Do you guys use something else to provide authorities or marinas when you check in ?

Thanks!

For completeness sake a full Canadian vessel registration is best as several European countries are refusing “ light “ registrations , make sure the registration number is displayed on the hull ( usually the stern is sufficient)

You’ll need an operators competency certificate of some form

Insurance ( if you want to visit marinas )

Ships radio license or valid MMSI /call sign

Operators vhf cert if required in home country
Old 25-04-2022, 10:25   #3

Re: Canadian sailors - license documents

How do you get a «*full*» registration?
I’ve got my MMSI and radio license certificate and insurance. The only thing I’m not sure of is the full registration as what I got from transport Canada is a 1 page document with license number…🤷*♂️

Thanks
Old 27-04-2022, 02:09   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

I’ve got my MMSI and radio license certificate and insurance. The only thing I’m not sure of is the full registration as what I got from transport Canada is a 1 page document with license number…🤷*♂️

Thanks

Very simple Google search yields this page: https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...ons-answers#r2

Near the bottom of this page is an entry titled “What is the difference between a licence and registration?”

Your TC license is only good within Canada. If you are outside Canada or want to cross into other countries you must register your boat. Refer to https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...er-your-vessel

It’s not that hard to Google this stuff.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:11   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Thanks

A sailing competency cert for the skipper is recommended if sailing the European med
Old 27-04-2022, 03:47   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
For completeness sake a full Canadian vessel registration is best as several European countries are refusing “ light “ registrations , make sure the registration number is displayed on the hull ( usually the stern is sufficient)

You’ll need an operators competency certificate of some form

Insurance ( if you want to visit marinas )

Ships radio license or valid MMSI /call sign

Operators vhf cert if required in home country
For licensing (or "light" registration) the numbers MUST be displayed on both sides of the bow, not the stern. But the OP really needs to be "registered" not licensed and can't be both. See here:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...essel-register
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:53   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
For licensing (or "light" registration) the numbers MUST be displayed on both sides of the bow, not the stern. But the OP really needs to be "registered" not licensed and can't be both. See here:

I agree which is while I mentioned “ light registrations “ as in what he already has. ( ie a TC license )

Many countries have simplified “ registrations “ largely aimed at their domestic users. International suited registrations are usually more thorough and comprehensive and have better standing , ie U.K. part 1 versus SSR etc.
Old 27-04-2022, 05:55   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post

pcmm, I'm struggling to find where a Canadian vessel needs to be "Registered" and not just "Licensed" to enter the US!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 05:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
pcmm, I'm struggling to find where a Canadian vessel needs to be "Registered" and not just "Licensed" to enter the US!
You don't need to be "registered" to enter the U.S. I never said that. The U.S. will accept our "Licensing" from what I understand (from there cruisers that have gone to the U.S. licensed). The OP's question was about going "international" as in Europe.
Old 27-04-2022, 06:07   #10

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Very simple Google search yields this page: https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...ons-answers#r2

Near the bottom of this page is an entry titled “What is the difference between a licence and registration?”

Your TC license is only good within Canada. If you are outside Canada or want to cross into other countries you must register your boat. Refer to https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...er-your-vessel

It’s not that hard to Google this stuff.
fxykty...That's a nice link that explains the procedure to "Register" a boat, but it says nothing about the need to Register a boat to enter the US. Simply put, it is not a requirement to Register a Canadian boat to enter the US. Licensing is sufficient.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 06:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
fxykty...That's a nice link that explains the procedure to "Register" a boat, but it says nothing about the need to Register a boat to enter the US. Simply put, it is not a requirement to Register a Canadian boat to enter the US. Licensing is sufficient.
If you read the content of the links...They don't say that you need to register a vessel to enter the U.S. they DO say: " a licence is not a title document. You must also carry other documents, such as a document that establishes ownership, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine."

Ironically they say the basically same thing about "Registration" documents: "You must carry registration documents on board the vessel at all times, together with any other ownership documents, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine."

The context of this conversation has nothing to do with entering the U.S. the OP's new boat is in France (Europe)
Old 27-04-2022, 06:46   #12

Thanks guys! I will investigate the "registration" procedures for travelling in Europe. The boat will come to the US and the Bahamas at the end of the year so might as well have all paperwork in order...!
Old 27-04-2022, 06:49   #13

Quote:
Thanks guys! I will investigate the "registration" procedures for travelling in Europe. The boat will come to the US and the Bahamas at the end of the year so might as well have all paperwork in order...!
Registration is really simple. Just a few forms to fill out and pay a once registration fee. Once you get your registration you just need to affix the registration numbers somewhere to the hull (typically inside)
Old 27-04-2022, 08:31   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yeah registration costs money but comes with some additional benefits, like the registration document is proof of ownership and no one else in Canada can register the same boat name as you.

I also feel the boat itself appreciates being known (legally) as a name rather than a license number!

Definitely worth doing, you'd maybe be fine with just licensing but I wouldn't take the risk. As PCMM said it's a simple process (though I think there is a minimum size requirement for the letters of the name for readability)

Tags
license, men, sail