Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 00:29   #1

Best certification to get (if any) for world cruising

I'm an American living in eastern Asia. Current plan is within the next two years get a boat and transition to sailing the world full time. I sailed quite a bit when young, but as it's been over two decades since I've been sailing, I'll definitely be taking some courses (ASA or RYA or anything else?)

Since I'll be taking courses, I'd like to take the ones which will result in me getting any needed license/certification. All my research seems to be mixing me up as a lot of places say no license or certification is necessary for cruising the world, while others say that some countries require a certification and Europe (especially inland) requires an ICC. It also seems like certain certifications may help when getting insurance?

So any advice/info would be appreciated. Since there are no courses in English where I live, the whole world is pretty much open to me for where to take classes. So I'm open to any courses that would give me the most "useful" or widely accepted certification.
Ranshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 00:33   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Best certification to get (if any) for world cruising

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...sforum.com+rya
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:41   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The only area I know of that seems prone to asking recreational sailors for liscencing is Europe. You can get an ICC via either ASA or RYA. You dont need any form of liscencing to sail recreationally in most of the world.

If you have any thoughts of going pro in the future then RYA is the most relevant path as they have pro certifications, ASA is recreational only.

Also look at availability of affiliated schools in your area...that may become the deciding factor.

And look at the search link John posted above. There are loads of threads here discussing the relative merits of ASA vs RYA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 19:23   #4

Thank you for your reply. I think I didn't phrase the question correctly, which is my fault. I wasn't necessarily looking for which course is better. Rather I was looking for which course offers a more widely accepted certification. I had done a search before and gone back through the pages on this forum about licenses but in all the reading it seemed most info was about the actual value of ASA vs RYA, rather than the usefulness of any license they provide. Licenses came up in a few older threads but seemed to have some conflicting information. Granted I know times change and countries change their rules.

But your response answered that question directly. Thank you. I have noticed that the ASA's version of an ICC is called an IPC. I'd be curious if anybody has had an issue with this not being accepted.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:53   #5

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

For world cruising on your own boat, none of the certifications (I.e. the bits of paper) are of any value.

What do you mean by asking if it will 'be accepted'? Accepted by whom, and for what purpose are you expecting to need some sort of paper qualification?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:21   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes sounds like you're overestimating the need for any "license" at all.

Learning the actual skills is 5000x more important than the piece of paper.

If you were renting a charter boat in some nanny-state jurisdiction, either one will usually do in practice.

To find differences would be a challenge, and only pertain to that one context.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:26   #7

Boat: Amel 50

Assuming you have your own boat, if you feel that you need a certification, get the one that is required in your residence country, or boat registration country. At least you have something to show, in case someone asks. It may be good for insurance reasons too.

But, if you feel that you need more knowledge, get all the certifications you can. In real life though, practical experience is the best teacher.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:15   #8

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I have been almost around, including Europe, sailing the past 15 years from Australia. I have no formal sailing certificates, or licence. The only time I have been ask for a certificate was in Madagascar. I showed them my car drivers licence and told them it covers boats as well, and that was it.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best certification to get (if any) for world cruising

For a good grounding in all area's go for the RYA Coastal Skipper and a VHF Licence.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 13:04   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Croatia requires at least an ICC. Greece sometimes can be picky as can Portugal (but you have to be unlucky to find a maritime policeman in portugal that cares)

Otherwise - mostly any type of certification will get you a break on your insurance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 16:28   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranshiro View Post
Thank you for your reply. I think I didn't phrase the question correctly, which is my fault. I wasn't necessarily looking for which course is better. Rather I was looking for which course offers a more widely accepted certification. I had done a search before and gone back through the pages on this forum about licenses but in all the reading it seemed most info was about the actual value of ASA vs RYA, rather than the usefulness of any license they provide. Licenses came up in a few older threads but seemed to have some conflicting information. Granted I know times change and countries change their rules.

But your response answered that question directly. Thank you. I have noticed that the ASA's version of an ICC is called an IPC. I'd be curious if anybody has had an issue with this not being accepted.

Thanks in advance.
IIRC there is a process to get an ICC from ASA. I will confirm.

For recreational sailing, both are recognized very widely and I doubt any officials will care as long as they can tick the box that you have the piece of paper they want.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For a good grounding in all area's go for the RYA Coastal Skipper and a VHF Licence.
Totally agree with Boatman.
I researched this a bit about 5 years ago
as i was starting to “Crew” around the world.
Without a doubt the RYA is held in higher
international esteem. No hard evidence
to offer However I got many more call backs
when I posted
RYA Coastal Skipper/Tidal with ICC
On occasion got picked up for deliveries
with all expenses paid. SWEET
PM me for recommendation in the UK
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 13:57   #13

Boat: Lagoon 420

Have you looked at IYT? They are based in Canada but have accredited schools worldwide including Thailand, China, Indonesia etc. Their accreditation is widely accepted and you can get an ICC if you do their bareboat skipper course plus VHF course. Doing the training in Thailand, run by Australians and Brits mostly, is cheap by any standards.

https://www.iytworld.com/
rudykruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 19:00   #14

Thank you everybody for sharing your firsthand experiences. It has gone a long way to helping me paint a better picture of what I need (and don't need) for certain places.

And thanks for the suggestion about IYT, i didn't know they give an actual ICC. I'll add them to the list to do more research about.

Tags
certification, cruising