Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2020, 15:11   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Advice for 100% Beginner Please

There are a couple of ways to go. ASA, then charter a big boat. Similar to the boat you were looking at getting.

Alternatively, take all of that money and buy a small boat. And just go use it and learn.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 15:17   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

PLEASE do not just go out and do it!

Take ASA 101 and then sail a boat small/inexpensive boat.

Then take ASA 103 and go sail some more.

Take ASA 104 and the same

A good ASA instructor will teach you how to be a good master. He/she will teach you crew management as well as boat handling.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 15:40   #18

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
Greetings. I don’t really think there is a set number of days or years before anyone should get a boat or move up. Everyone learns differently. Some people learn faster/slower.

I started sailing 6 years ago, and so far have owned 3 boats 21-25’, and just purchased an Alberg 35 to get around more comfortably. I have had a few sailing dinghies here and there too.

I suggest hanging out at a local yacht club and crewing for a couple months and see if you actually enjoy sailing. It looks beautiful from a distance, but really can be a ton of work. Even more as a newbie with your own boat. OPB is a great way to learn. There are a lot of sailors out there wanting to teach/take people out sailing!

Nothing replaces real life experience! Just get out there and do it. A smaller boat would probably be best to learn on though.

Not saying you shouldn’t do ASA 101-3. I actually did that later, but had a lot of support for my first couple years sailing.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 16:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sawneemountain.
You should have 1,127 nautical miles on (under) your belt, before you might have the experience to purchase your own boat.
Do cruise ship miles count?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 18:02   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
PLEASE do not just go out and do it!

Take ASA 101 and then sail a boat small/inexpensive boat.

Then take ASA 103 and go sail some more.

Take ASA 104 and the same

A good ASA instructor will teach you how to be a good master. He/she will teach you crew management as well as boat handling.
Is this really what life has come to?

No more reading? No more studying? No more learning to sail yourself?

We must rely on "qualified" instructors to teach us how to sail when every last bit of it is available to learn in books and online?

All you really need is a small boat and to study points of sail/trim for your first couple times out. That coupled with "if it's bigger than you it has right of way" can get you through your first few outings. Safety gear of course.

There's nothing wrong with learning on your own. Why does everyone feel so helpless?

Sounding like a crotchety old man, but I can't buy into this. It's just a little sailboat. It's sailing around the bay/harbor/ near coastal. Possibly inland on a lake.

I'll have to admit that's how I did it. I don't think that had the ASA courses when I started a bit over 30 years ago.

I bought a 23' shoal draft monohull on a trailer. Made my mistakes trying to apply whatever I learned in a Gary Jobson book and a few other books. There was a certain magic to learning yourself. You learn about being overpowered not through theory and rules, but by panicking as the rail starts to go under. Ha ha.

That type of education is irreplaceable and in my opinion, gives you far more respect for the sea than plodding along getting tips and acronyms from someone trying to convince everyone they are the world's foremost expert on sailing when they started 10 years ago. Ha ha
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 21:17   #21

My grand father told me that sailing was probably the best sport to take up.
Why Grand father -- well Michael because you can still do it when you are a grandfather and you learn something new every time you go out in a boat!
i am now 87 and looking for a new boat and still learning and most of the real game changing things are not generally taught in School. Example just one " Never keep leftovers even if you are running low on food " Why because if they go off and make you sick they will make the whole crew sick and you all might DIE! If you provision in a strange port never let Cardboard or paper packages come aboard, ___ because they may contain Cockroaches or many things worse or their eggs---- Wash every thing in sea water before you bring it aboard then dry it on deck first ----
Try to get to know a good experienced Delivery skipper and offer to pay for your schooling while learning. You will learn more in One delivery than in a year of school and have fun too! It is a great life I love those hours when you are totally self dependant and FREE. Michael Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 21:35   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pope View Post
Try to get to know a good experienced Delivery skipper and offer to pay for your schooling while learning. You will learn more in One delivery than in a year of school and have fun too! It is a great life I love those hours when you are totally self dependant and FREE. Michael Pope
Yep to that! That was my experience too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 07:29   #23

Boat: Pearson 10M

hmmm
i'd start with a good book such as Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 68th Edition
https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Pilot.../dp/1618372432

and maybe something from Don Casey's excellent collection or boat repair and maintenance for the DIY owner.

Then I'd buy a boat and go sailing.
You're already dive instructors, meaning you have a lot of experience in the ocean.
Don't be mislead into thinking you need a certificate to do something that people have been doing for thousands of years.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 06:33   #24

Thanks for the kind advice and replies!

The first step of the plan is to now either take courses or learn from a private captain near the Carribean. If you know of any good opportunities, please let us know and we look forward to getting out on the water with you all someday!
sawneemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 03:23   #25

DonL - you're a hoot.

Good catch, though. I thought Gord was lowballing the nautcal miles required myself...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 03:32   #26

Sawneemountain,

Have a look at today's new posts where a young sailor is asking about what RYA Skipper certificate he should pursue.

He's got himself a crewing position on a boat going on a month-long sail to Panama, then he'll be joining another boat and sailing around Fiji for 4 months.

Is there a marina near where you are? Go walk the docks speak to the boat owners and see if anyone is looking for extra crew for some short hops. Be honest about your experience.

Also, there's always the Crew Forum on this website. Post your details and monitor the boats who are looking for crew.

Good luck!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 03:46   #27

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I think you should probably invest in at least a few week-long RYA or similar (ICC) courses if you are a rank beginner. They are fun, useful, and honestly, if you cannot afford the time or money for one, you cannot afford a boat of any size. When you get out there, you'll see hundreds of credit-card captains endangering your boat at anchorages.....DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!!

Internet, for us, we use two things. 1) A Bitstorm Badboy wifi stealer... can pull wifi out from surprising distances as long as you know the passwords (apps online can get them for you, or better, go to shore, get a coffee, and ask for it).
2) Solis Skyroam. Connect up to 5 devices thru wifi. It simulates a SIM card in 150 or so countries automatically, to give you unlimited data for 80 euros a month. Been using it for 2 years, sail between countries, it connects faster than our phones. Very VERY happy. We watch netflix all night with it as well....

Offshore, not much except sat, and that's too rich for our blood. Altho we have a system built in I would get a prepaid 500 buck card for any oceanic passage. But since you're within sight of land or anchored 99% of your life, the above 2 are more than enough.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 10:43   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

ASA classes are not a bad option. If you ever want to charter, you will need some proof of formal training.

Much of the more important parts of your education will probably be self directed.

1. An encyclopedic knowledge and deep understanding of the Rules of the Road, or COLREGS. Poor knowledge in this area can cost lives and vessels or considerable property damages, as well as legal penalties and higher insurance. THERE IS NO EXCUSE for not knowing and following them. Literally. But so many do go to sea with only the sketchiest idea of The Rules.

2. A sound knowledge of the basic principles of Navigation and Piloting. At a bare minimum you should be able to construct a plot sheet for your Latitude, and keep a proper DR track. Electronic navigation you can learn in an hour or so. But you need to be able to do your own Navigating, too. Celestial is NOT hard and requires no specialized equipment apart from your compass, a sextant, pencil, paper, dividers, triangles, almanac, and sight reduction tables. Half of that stuff you need for keeping your DR, anyway. Most of the haters are either intimidated by it for some reason, or simply too lazy to learn a very simple skill set, or have been scared off by elitists who have told them that only the brightest and saltiest sailors stand a chance of learning how to do it. Pushing buttons and swiping touch screens have spoiled a lot of folks. You should also understand sailing guides like "Sailing Directions" and "Coast Pilot", and Pilot Charts as well as paper navigation charts, light lists, characteristics of lights and other nav aids, and numerous other sub topics.
3. Emergency Procedures, Damage Control, and First Aid.

4. Rules and Regulations, and where to find them.
5. General maintenance and troubleshooting.

Last but not least, or actually last AND least, actually sailing the boat. Just learning how to make the boat go where you want only takes a few hours. Refining your sailing skills to equal the best takes years but the basics are simple.

Sailing with others either as cruising crew or guests, or racing crew, will teach you a lot, particularly in the beginning.

You can start with a day sailer or a dinghy, and start your learning on that. Or a small, cheap fixerupper dock queen that has promise, that you can live aboard while you fit her out. Either will teach you a lot. Sometimes the hard way, but that's the best way to be mentally and emotionally prepared for genuine emergencies 0n your cruising boat.
Old 27-02-2020, 11:57   #29

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Ask a 100 different people and you will get 100 different answers.
Sailing is not that hard. If you are intuitive, you will pick it up quickly. Use the engine when you are unsure. Soon you will find that you are using the engine less and less. Just do it.
And.....buy the smallest boat you can stand. Not the biggest boat you can afford.
Have fun and bee safe.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:18   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Do some reading , internet searches and make you mind up through good analysis of what you read , you must be prepared to scythe of the dross and come up with a small number of boats that meet your need in size. price point and ability to sail short handed, get your boat anytime you want and either go on a course or bring an instructor onto the boat and learn first hand , then get your self out in sheltered waters and sail and learn , it is the best way,
I have never crewed on anyone's boat , nor took formal training , and my first boat to me was 42 ft.
Still going strong !!
Internet access out at sea and away from any hot spots are generally very slow, Iridium Go is a cruisers favourite but poor internet , then you can go up to sailor Iridium , with Iridium's new constellation of satellites up there might be a change in speed.
You are a young couple , no doubt fitter than most and got some determination , go for it and learn on the upward curve , sailing is not hard , nor complicated , and can easily be done with the right mind set , after that it is just experience and time.
good luck have fun and stay safe
Second that! I did some casual dingy sailing at a National Park Marina a few times a year, then bought a Catalina 42 Mk2 last year as a first time owner. I hired a local captain for 2 days to show me how the systems worked, and to have an experienced hand on board, but then...yeah- just took her solo all season- jumped right in! I shopped for something that’s easy to fix, cheap(ish) to own, and a safe, forgiving boat- no regrets!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease