Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 11:22   #31

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: A cheap crash course in sailing so we know what we're doing for the sea trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
. . . just telling them they can't buy a boat for the next X yrs and all that jazz will only stop them from posting, not from doing what they want to do.
Right again, Lizzy. But if they are as gung ho as they seem to be, they will be sailing/racing every weekend from now to the end of the sailing season in Vancouver. And when the season is over, they will be chartering 30 foot boats in warmer places. So the X number of years could be next year. But I and several others are trying to tell them that it would be foolish and costly to buy any boat this year. If they jump into buying a boat now, and go out and have a horrible or horrifying experience due to their lack of experience--which is not far-fetched--what will that do for the rest of their sailing lives? And where does that leave their big un-refitted boat? They will have only the receipts from their insurance and dockage payments to show for it until they can unload it.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:33   #32

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: A cheap crash course in sailing so we know what we're doing for the sea trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
If they jump into buying a boat now, and go out and have a horrible or horrifying experience due to their lack of experience--which is not far-fetched--what will that do for the rest of their sailing lives?
That's how I learned Never chartered a day in my life. Granted, I grew up on boats and my first boat was a Sailhorse, so not exactly the same, but according to some of the posts here I should sell my boat, move back on land and start over too, just to do it "right".

Here in the Netherlands, lots of people buy their first boat without having any experience whatsoever. They find a marina near a smaller sailing water and take it from there.

Again -- most of the advise given here is good advise. But when people want to do something their way, I just think it's better to help them do that as best as possible and not just shut them down. Won't stop them doing what they want, but it will stop them asking help.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:16   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A cheap crash course in sailing so we know what we're doing for the sea trial

Sounds you have done the equivalent of the RYA Theory..
As others have said.. let the owner do it and watch what he does..
To be honest if I was in your shoes I'd have splashed out for a couple of hours practical at least.. that way at least you'd have some idea of what you are watching and hopefully learning without breathing over his shoulder all the time..
If its a deal after the Survey/Trials try and work a couple of days sailing with the owner into it..
Best of luck.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:23   #34

Boat: Nauticat 32

Some people just buy a boat and then learn to sail it in steps that are suitable for them. That's ok, and maybe the best solution for these people. On the other hand someone might buy a boat that is is very bad shape and then sail it out to the ocean and into a storm, without any skills. That's not the way to go.

I think it is fair to warn people that there are some serious danger elements involved, and that they should proceed in a way where those risks never (never!) materialize. The difficult part is to tell from a distance what path would suit each individual. Those individuals and their friends are probably the best experts to propose answers to this question.

If someone has the tendency to break all his new gadgets, they definitely should have a new more careful approach to sailing. If they never break their toys, and they think they understand the sailing related risks, then they are likely to continue their old safe approach also with the boats.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sounds you have done the equivalent of the RYA Theory..
As others have said.. let the owner do it and watch what he does..
^^^^^^^^^^^

Paul's #16 was quite good, too.

But, but, but

You don't need to know how to sail when you go on a sea trial. The PO should do everything and show you that everything works. And how it works.

If the surveyor is along for the ride, all the better.

Take notes, be prepared by making checklists before you go, and take pictures. I've also found taking pictures and then, right then, writing down what the pictures are on a piece of paper and taking a picture of THAT to be very helpful. Like vacation pictures with road and town signs.

There are also books along the lines of "how to survey a used boat" and "how to buy a used boat."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:56   #36

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
...You don't need to know how to sail when you go on a sea trial...
Then it isn't a sea trial--it is a boat ride.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 13:13   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A cheap crash course in sailing so we know what we're doing for the sea trial

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;2070479]^^^^^^^^^^^

Paul's #16 was quite good, too.

But, but, but

You don't need to know how to sail when you go on a sea trial. The PO should do everything and show you that everything works. And how it works.
QUOTE]

But....
I know you don't.. and you also do not have to know how to do a Survey.. that's why they're hiring a surveyor..
Some of us are more concerned with advising him how to learn to sail minus the crash..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-03-2016, 16:32   #38

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
And if it's the latter, then buy a dinghy. There's really nothing better than learning how to sail in a small boat, which tells you almost immediately when you're doing something wrong
I couldn't agree more. There's nothing like getting wet when you screw up to teach you the fundamentals. Small boats also quickly tell you when you're doing something right.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:56   #39

Quote:

But....
I know you don't.. and you also do not have to know how to do a Survey.. that's why they're hiring a surveyor..
Some of us are more concerned with advising him how to learn to sail minus the crash..
I went back and reread the OP. Of course, you're right and I don't disagree. But the way I originally read it was he was kinda in a hurry and was ready to soon do a trial on this boat. Agreeing with many that he ain't gonna learn sailing very soon, that's why I wrote what I did. I am sure there are tons of folks who have bought boats after sea trialing them with a surveyor, who had no clue. Not that it makes any sense, but...

Of course, if he has the time, then yes, the advice given here on the many different ways of learning to sail would certainly help.

I particularly liked the posts who noted that if he couldn't afford a lesson or two he might have issues with keeping up with the boat once he gets it, but we're here to discuss sailing, not his pocketbook.
Old 12-03-2016, 17:10   #40

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
that's why they're hiring a surveyor..
I hope they are
Old 12-03-2016, 17:48   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never know gal.. now they've read Stu's post they may buy the book.. its cheaper..

Old 12-03-2016, 18:44   #42

Boat: Mirage 35

There was much discussion created by Mike and Michelle's earlier post: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-155958.html and I think it helps to understand their point of view, so one might want to use it for context when replying to this question.
Old 12-03-2016, 18:50   #43

Quote:
Never know gal.. now they've read Stu's post they may buy the book.. its cheaper..

Ach, I missed that one!

Why didn't I mention...???

Sailing For Dummies

Actually a very good read. And used? CHEAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
There was much discussion created by Mike and Michelle's earlier post: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-155958.html and I think it helps to understand their point of view, so one might want to use it for context when replying to this question.
Superb memory, thanks for linking it.
Old 12-03-2016, 23:22   #44

First time post here. Great information provided so far on this forum.

We are looking to purchase a catamaran and are preparing for all these procedures. I have a question: should you do a haul out before or after your sea trial, or does it matter as long as you do it? Thanks much!
StuJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 03:00   #45

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJune View Post
First time post here. Great information provided so far on this forum.

We are looking to purchase a catamaran and are preparing for all these procedures. I have a question: should you do a haul out before or after your sea trial, or does it matter as long as you do it? Thanks much!
I think it doesn't matter too much. I'm thinking about the costs here. Hauling the boat out (or to the water if it is on the dry) may be costly. If you hire a good surveyor (I recommend), that costs too. You don't want to do these with many candidate boats.

So, you do these two things only when you have already almost decided to buy that boat. Then it makes sense to optimise the order and timing so that you can have your surveyor present all the time, and so that you can get all the possible info from the previous owners too.

If the boat is on the water, you might do the sea trial (or just another casual sail) first if there is a chance that you will be disappointed and want to cancel the deal. That will save the cost of the haul out (maybe surveyor costs too if he was not present yet).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, sail, sailing