Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2010, 12:58   #61

I do not understand your comment.
Cummins 6BTA5.9 rated at 280HP (not 308HP). I typically run at 1600-1800 rpm but occasionally open up to 2300. (I do not know what your reference to "will turn 1850" means??)
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:53   #62

Boat: Monk 36 Chai Yen
My Monk 36 1984 uses 2.1 gph at 1700 rpm speed 7 to 7.5 depending on the water. Consumption Records kept for over 8 years bear this out.

Tight lines and following seas!
John_Greenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 06:51   #63

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
True trawler hull at 40K pounds at half load. Running a single John Deere 4045T. Generally run at 1600 RPM which is 67% of WOT, I get 7.5 knots at 1.5 gph for 5 nautical miles per gallon (no wind or current). I carry 700 gallons of fuel, so a range of 3500 miles till empty. If I slow down, I can extend range. These number have been verified over 8 years of cruising.

Patrick
Willard 40PH
ALOHA
La Paz, MX
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:16   #64

Re: Trawler Fuel Consumption

I am considering buying a 37' Vista Sundeck trawler with twin Volvo TAMD 40B diesels. Does anybody have any real world fuel consumption numbers for this engine on this type of vessel?
flynaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:29   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

David,
It works better if you start a new thread with your question rather than piggy backing off of someone else's thread.

No big deal, just trying to help.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 09:15   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
I know of several people with Nordhavns and they seem to be great bang for the buck and seem very efficient. I believe they have the Lugger engine.. Any opinions on that engine line??
I am a member of a Yahoo Group that dream of owning a Nordhavn. Not sure if they are great 'bang for the buck' or not but they are certainly among the Rolls Royce of trawlers. I certainly would like to own one. The Lugger engine is an expensive option on many of these boats, many of which use the John Deere as standard. The JD is in fact the basis of the Lugger unit, but it has various parts changed out for more continuous rating. Luggers are fitted to many commercial fishing boats which says it all. For leisure use a Lugger is really an overkill, as they are designed for continuous use over long periods.

Another interesting fact I have learned, is that you can have an engine that's too large for the use to which you intend to put the boat. Several Nordhavn owners have expressed a preference to have had a less powerful engine installed, so that it could be run at a higher load more commensurate with its designed output. Currently, they have to run at full throttle for maybe 10-15mins once or twice each day to 'clear the pipes'.

Like all engines, the faster you go, the nastier the consumption curve.

In truth most of us WANT a bigger boat with bigger engine/s, whereas what we NEED is a small boat with economical engines.
rtimmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 14:15   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtimmorris

I am a member of a Yahoo Group that dream of owning a Nordhavn. Not sure if they are great 'bang for the buck' or not but they are certainly among the Rolls Royce of trawlers. I certainly would like to own one. The Lugger engine is an expensive option on many of these boats, many of which use the John Deere as standard. The JD is in fact the basis of the Lugger unit, but it has various parts changed out for more continuous rating. Luggers are fitted to many commercial fishing boats which says it all. For leisure use a Lugger is really an overkill, as they are designed for continuous use over long periods.

Another interesting fact I have learned, is that you can have an engine that's too large for the use to which you intend to put the boat. Several Nordhavn owners have expressed a preference to have had a less powerful engine installed, so that it could be run at a higher load more commensurate with its designed output. Currently, they have to run at full throttle for maybe 10-15mins once or twice each day to 'clear the pipes'.

Like all engines, the faster you go, the nastier the consumption curve.

In truth most of us WANT a bigger boat with bigger engine/s, whereas what we NEED is a small boat with economical engines.
CORRECTION

I had rerun in my thoughts what i wrote here, and decided to check my story. Fact is that many of the Nordhavns do have Lugger engines as standard. It is the N55 that is my favourite, and it is them that have the John Deere fitted as standard with the Lugger being an upgrade. Sorry if I put anyone on the wrong track.
rtimmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 15:03   #68

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The Defever we had for couple of years, got 2 1/2 to 3 nmpg, with the genny running,so with 800 gal onboard we had a pretty good range and that was with 2 120 Ford leymans. in a 43 ft boat! any of the 4 stroke diesels of this type have been great fuel misers for years ! Just my 2 cents
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41   #69

Boat: Kha Shing (King) 40 sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynaround View Post
I am considering buying a 37' Vista Sundeck trawler with twin Volvo TAMD 40B diesels. Does anybody have any real world fuel consumption numbers for this engine on this type of vessel?
Flynaround, I've got those motors in my 40' Kha Shing (also known as Vista or King) and I burn 3.2 gph at 1800 rpm for 7.1 kts. Pushing them to 2500 rpm burns 7.4 gph. Email me for more info if you want. [PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES IN THE CLEAR. EXCHANGE EMAIL ADDRESSES BY PM.]
flymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:57   #70

Boat: Passagemaker Lite
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataraxia

1.3 usg/hr. or about 4.9 liters per hour for a speed of 6-6.5 knots. This is the speed and fuel use achieved by M.V. Idlewild on her recent circumnavigation. But that is a fuel efficient troller without ball room dancing capabilities as the fuel hungry trawlers.
Ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:09   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

"Isle of Skye" 37' C&C/Bruckmann trawler, full displacement, 7.5 knots,
Perkins HT354, 1.2 gallons per hour. Toronto - Dry Tortugas and return, St. Johns, St.Mary's, Chesapeake, Delaware = 779 gallons
Old 08-11-2012, 18:53   #72

Boat: Gulfstar MK1 43'

2.4 Gallons per hour @ 8k. Twin 6.354 Perkins. 43 foot Gulfstar.
khhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:31   #73

Boat: Swift Trawler 44 - Bénéteau

On board, a swift trawler 44 Beneteau, 2 x 300 HP:
7.5 N at 1450 tr / mm - 2 L / Nautical Mile
17 N at 2850 tr / mm - 4 L / Nautical Mile
It's the best and "only" rotation to have a good performance.
Tourecanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 09:53   #74

Boat: 46 Custom Trawler

45 Shannon Voyager with twin 660 Cummins. I can't bring myself to look at the flow meters when I'm on plane....! At 8.7 knots I get about 1 mile per gallon.
Nashbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 14:37   #75

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Damn nice boat at a bargain price
Compucraft: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Epoxy Over Strip Plank Cedar | Queensland (Qld) - Mackay

50 foot 10 tonne cat with 100hp yanmar x 2 apparently gets,
Quote:
with cruising speeds of 9-10 knots, averaging fuel economy of 1L per nautical mile.

Tags
consumption, fuel, trawler