Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 16:18   #46

Re: Shore power KW usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t understand any of that and think you guys must be talking about kWh. KW is nothing but kW is a power level, not consumed energy which needs time factored in.

Anyway, you need to install a kWh meter on your boat so that you know what you used and can check the bill
I actually have installed revenue grade kw meters on my boat. Hence my update post.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 16:22   #47

I’m curious why Seabrook is only charging 6.9cents per KWh and Waterford is getting 10cents? Are they different electricity providers ?
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:49   #48

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t understand any of that and think you guys must be talking about kWh. KW is nothing but kW is a power level, not consumed energy which needs time factored in.

Anyway, you need to install a kWh meter on your boat so that you know what you used and can check the bill
You are 100% correct. Please pardon my brevity/sloppiness. The OP and I have boats 8 miles apart. We run A/C units. The OP had a usage of 1700KWH versus my 300 or so KWH. Point is he should not be using 1700KWh. !000 KWH maybe but not 1700KWH I am offering my usage which is going to be smaller as I have a single A/C unit and am only cooling the back 1/2 of my boat. Plus the usage is surely less on a monohull than a Motor Cruiser given my boat has less glass area and less volume and the area I am cooling is shaded.

The OP was looking for energy usage (as you correctly point out would be KWH) for a boat used in similar fashion and location. I can compare my boat as we are geographically in the same location and we are off the boat most the time. The OP runs his A/C units near the same as I do but my usage ergo my bills range $18 to $35. Not the $172 bill the OP got.

No idea why your marina is 10c/KWH. The marina I am in is 6.9cent/KWH with service from Centerpoint. I can see why I use less as I set the t-stat higher and have a smaller space to cool. 1000KWH sounds reasonable given his larger volume and much more window areas. But I don't see how he can be getting a bill for 1700KWH. Hope this helps.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power