Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27   #31

Boat: 1980 Chris Craft Commander 45'
Re: Seasickness Questions?

Yes the blurred vision and feeling off balance was something I experienced as well. plus I was starting to feel a little sickish. That is the reason I ended up taking off the 1/2 that I tried before I had any feeling of sickness. I had a girlfriend that swore by them and they did work well for her. I have not tried the Ginger Snap thing but will have some on hand for anyone on my boat that needs them.
Capt Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Allan View Post
.................... I have not tried the Ginger Snap thing but will have some on hand for anyone on my boat that needs them.
So, after reading your post, I turned to Nancie and asked her, "How long before heading offshore do you eat the ginger cookies?" She replied, "Oh, I still like the ginger cookies, but I've been taking the Meclizine tablets for years!" She explained that these are the pills that she first had when they were available on a Holland America cruise a few years ago.

So, now I'm thinking that she nolonger has seasickness at all, but she just likes to eat cookies and take the helm!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seasickness Questions?

On the Ocean liner to the UK in the 60's from India I did not get seasick once... so when my folk gave me the option of Army (Dad) or Airforce (Mom)... before thay returned to Pakistan... I choose the Royal Navy as a 'baby sailor'...
Puked my guts out on HMS Wakeful.. and a few others after that but was forced to control it... particularly hard when your stuck below 4hrs on, 4hrs off for weeks on end with the Sonar pinging in your H phones....
Today many years later I can still get queasy but a quick hurl over the side and getting back to it soon sorts it out...
1st 3 days after a long spell ashore is the 'queasy time'

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".

"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17   #34

Great feedback everyone. Thanks. I guess it depends on the person and different remedies depending on the person.

I lived on a sailboat for an outward bound trip while in HS, for a few days and have been on plenty of short boat rides on smaller boats and ferries and have never gotten sick. My kids have been on trips anywhere for 3-8hrs and have never gotten sick.

I will take some time this summer and take them all out again to test some more.
Old 22-07-2013, 21:43   #35

I understand that as people get older they are less prone to sea sickness. I certainly hope this is true.
OneofSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 22:15   #36

Boat: H28

My wife's never-fail seasickness remedy is to go sit under a tree.
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09   #37

The cruise ships all have stabilizer systems to keep them from rocking much. A cabin lower in the ship and in the middle of the deck will have the least sensation of movement. But as a precaution and especially for smaller boats I take scopolamine capsules (aka used to be Scopace). I've tried numerous other remedies like the patch, wristband, plugs, and ginger.. but capsules did the trick. It's a prescription, and they ship out within a couple days.. Scopolamine . Good luck!
goodlife247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you buy the scopalamine, do take it on land to be sure you do not have blurred vision or hallucinations with it. My doctor recommended that practice to me. Whatever it is, whether Stugeron or Scop, try it where any side effects will not cause danger. Stugeron is my "magic bullet," AND it's not for everyone, either. We all have to find what works best for us. And that happens through experimenting on ourselves.

Ann
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30   #39

As Ann said, be sure you test your reaction to scopolamine in a safe environment and don't take too much...

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:06   #40

Boat: P30

i suppose everyone reacts differently
I've come close twice. once while dealing with fuel problems, backward and upside down, while underway in a lumpy sea.
and nearly once the time i was first off off shore in 6-7 swells. seemed to help to get out of my "near vision" and focus on the horizon...and not thinking about it.
a former girlfriend would second the ginger cookies, and ginger tea...she never did get sick and we sailed for some years together.
my daughter has sailed since she was waist high and has never gotten sick.
her mom believed in the pressure bands you wear on your wrists.....but then again she believes in voodoo.... so who knows....
Old 04-09-2013, 14:27   #41

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Marazine is the seasick remedy of choice with my partner... personally, never suffered after my first bout of it at age 14 on my first commercial sea going experience. Was sick for about 8 hours straight but it cured me.
Marazine seems to work great because you can take it after the onset of feeling sick and it seems to take hold right away. Hard to find, though. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:29   #42

On my last "cruise" across Drake's Passage to the Ross Peninsular (think 5-10m swell on the beam), none of my party of 10, including three renounded for their propensities, developed sea sickness. The strategy: Take Phenergan (Prochlorperazine 25mg) each night starting the night before departure. The sedative effect helps you sleep but wears off by morning, but the anti-emetic and the vestibular stabilizing effects persist. It's what NASA uses - space sickness being even more prevalent than sea sickness it would seem.
So my kids, if the sea conditions look they will be interesting, get either an adult dose 25mg if wt >50kg, or a half dose if <50kg the night before. Works for us!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 16:39   #43

Yes, if you do take scopolamine.. be sure to take it BEFORE! It's meant to prevent.

The recent exposure in the news about scopolamine i'd say is overhyped. Talk to your doc
goodlife247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:03   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

with kids it is often the parents suggesting they should be sick that creates seasickness in kids.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:23   #45

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil

Stugeron is great and have used it with many crew. Only issue I have is with night watch. Anybody have a suggestion to make long night shifts easier to stay awake?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle