Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2021, 12:57   #1

Boat: Hunter 46
New Toilet Advise - Want to Get it Right

I know this has been discussed plenty of time is the past, so apologize for this potentially duplicate thread. Plan to replace 2 toilets on a 1984 Symbol Sundeck 50 powerboat which currently have Jabsco electric toilets with raw water flush with new ones with fresh water flush. I really want to get this right so appreciate the forum's recommendation. I have preliminarily researched these options:

Jabsco 3710-1090 with 3 position switch - same as on my Hunter 46 works fine ~$500 each
Raritan Elegance ~$900 each
Raritan Sea Era ~$600 each
Saniflo SaniMARIN 31C with 2 position switch (add water/flush) - ~$670
Other?
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 13:09   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: New Toilet Advise - Want to Get it Right

Take a look at an article I wrote on this very subject, published in SAIL Magazine. www.schooner-britannia.com/freshwater-heads.html
Old 05-06-2021, 13:12   #3

Sorry but I cannot open the file.
Old 05-06-2021, 14:57   #4

OK....decided on a Raritan Elegance with fresh/raw water intake and smart control based on recommendation from Peggie Hall.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:56   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
OK....decided on a Raritan Elegance with fresh/raw water intake and smart control based on recommendation from Peggie Hall.
That's the one I have. Generally it works very well. When you have to service it their attachment points are stupid. Rather than have welded nuts onto the bracket it's this floating thing that has a tendency to fall off when you're trying to install so then you have to remove all of them to get the one that fell off back into position. Next time I do mine I will have a piece of starboard that those brackets will be attached to and then on the outside of the toilet the starboard will be mounted to the deck. Never again will I have to mess with those ridiculous screws.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:09   #6

Cpt Mark..........now that is great advise, thanks for sharing!!
Old 06-06-2021, 10:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Cpt Mark..........now that is great advise, thanks for sharing!!
You're welcome. Don't ever force anything down. "helping" it is not going to help you. trust me on this one lol
Old 06-06-2021, 15:49   #8

An old consideration is to mount the toilet so that should all the valves and plumbing fail that it won't have seawater spilling over the rim. i.e. so that the seat top is above the LWL. There is always someone who forgets to close off a valve etc.

We recommend the TMC models but I am sure others do a good job.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:34   #9

@Cpt_Mark
My first choice will be a Raritan Elegance. However, I'm wondering how to connect both, the pressurized fresh water and raw water. I'd like to do the first flush with raw water and the second one with fresh water to avoid odor. In case of holding tank use I only want to flush with fresh water and in case of watermaker failure or contaminated seawater I want to have the raw water as a backup.
Which model should I chose? The prezzurized or that one with the external raw water pump?
Your advise is highly appreciated.
Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
@Cpt_Mark
My first choice will be a Raritan Elegance. However, I'm wondering how to connect both, the pressurized fresh water and raw water. I'd like to do the first flush with raw water and the second one with fresh water to avoid odor. In case of holding tank use I only want to flush with fresh water and in case of watermaker failure or contaminated seawater I want to have the raw water as a backup.
Your advise is highly appreciated.
Cheers
Dirk
Hi Dirk,

YIKES!!!! That sounds complicated. Are you sure you want to do this? The headmistress Peg Hall on tis forum might be able to offer better advice. 1st question is, is yours salt water only, fresh water only or both?

If you're going to do this I think you're going to need a wye valve with one way valves installed as well. You'd hook the fresh water to one side and the sea water to the other and then send both of those outputs to a fitting that sends the water you want into the head. Lot of connections and parts and future maintenance which may or may not be an issue. Teaching people which valve to use when could be an issue. Seawater has to go through a throughhull as well as a filter. Not sure if you'd need a pump for that too.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:48   #11

I know 1 guy who has no water input to his head. He just fill a 1 gallon jug and uses that as needed. Simple. Maybe too simple tho lol
Old 08-06-2021, 14:32   #12

For sure the scoop will be my second backup after a lightning strike ...
I'll try to get in contact with Peggy - thanks.
I'm wondering by just using two Y-valves from True Design. One to devert the outlet and one to switch the inlet between fresh and raw water (but in "wrong direction"). Looks not really like rocket science so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y-deverting-valves_True_Design.png
Views:	70
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	239992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Check-valve_True_Design.png
Views:	63
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	239993  

Old 09-06-2021, 11:15   #13

Went ahead and purchased 2 Raritan Elegance compact, straight back, 12v toilets with momentary control for $720 each and 50 feet of 1½ inch diameter Raritan Sani / Flex sanitation hose for $9.79 per foot. Some beneficial toilet features are integral macerator pump, integral fresh water solenoid valve and vacuum breaker (which makes installation simpler). The beneficial hose feature is its flexibility.
Old 14-06-2021, 22:09   #14

To be able to read is an advantage

The Marine Elegance like many of the other Raritan models offers a SeaFresh flushing option allowing the owner to switch between freshwater flush or raw water flush.

And further on ...

Control options include the Smart Toilet Control giving the user the ability to control intake and discharge water separately as well as flushing for a normal cycle or water saver cycle the simple multi-function control offering the simple water in or water out on a momentary basis in addition to a flush that allows intake and discharge to run at the same time or a good old fashioned pushbutton is also available.

With embarrassing regards
Cheers
Dirk

Thrad closed
Old 15-06-2021, 06:18   #15

Thanks Dirk01!!

Tags
oil