Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 13:56   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
The best bang for the buck is Bayliner and SeaRay. After that you have to be more specific. We can walk you through the process of making an offer and buy a used boat. Even if you can pay cash I recommend using a bank/finance as they will make sure you do not go to far wrong. They usually have a list of recommend surveyors to use as that is one of the first steps is to have the boat surveyed/appraised.

I do not recommend a buyer broker as they can cause more trouble than they are worth as most seller brokers do not want to slit the fee. Boat brokers are not like land realtors. More like vehicle
I don't like the design from bayliner, so may be a sea ray 350 sun dancer is a good idea. What specific trouble can a buyer broker cause in trade?
cnyifei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 09:07   #17

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: New or Used Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyifei View Post
I don't like the design from bayliner, so may be a sea ray 350 sun dancer is a good idea. What specific trouble can a buyer broker cause in trade?
Trades are not very common when buying selling a boat, so selling and buying a boat is generally two separate transactions. So you will have a broker to sell your boat and the sell will have a seller brokers. You could use your selling broker to act as your buyers broker also. Most sellers wil not want to take you boat in trade.

Boat brokers are not like land realtors as they normally do not share listings and/or commissions. So if you have a buyers broker and the sell broker will not split the commission you get to pay the buyer brokers also. Also if you have a surveyor, used a bank/finance and insurance company I don’t see where a buyer broker is going to be much of a benefit. The only benefit is if you do not like/want to make the offer and negotiate which the buyer broker will have to have you OK. We can guide/walk thru the buying process. I think a buyer brokers puts you another step away from the seller. I would prefer to talk to the sell direct as most brokers do not know the detail of the boat.

When we bought the Eagle, we were newbies, but luckily I have bank connections and they required we use one of the surveyors on their list. I wanted an old salt that knew and been around older boats as he would have a better general knowledge what to look for. If you can make sure you are there so you can ask questions.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 13:37   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Thanks ranger,

I probably go for a smaller used boat first. Say 20-30'?
I supposed the sea ray will retain better value when I trade in later due to the popularity, right?

Hard to guess what length you might prefer; best to look at some in person, see what you think.

BUT... lots of boaters suffer from three-feet-it is. IOW, once they have a boat, they realize a slightly larger one would ring their chimes better. And then lose a bit in the transition. Not bad to think ahead, with the idea that you might try to buy your second -- or even third -- boat FIRST.

Can't say about holding value. Sea Ray is as good as many, but you can look at yachtworld.com (etc) to compare the asking prices for 2, 3, 4, 5 (etc.) year old models of any new boat... and mostly you'll see they drop like a stone.

Also, the idea of "trade-ins" isn't quite like cars. Think more like houses. You sell your old boat, then you can afford your next boat. There are exceptions, of course, and the big Sea Ray dealerships (and MarineMax and so forth) can maybe work some of that better.... sometimes.

-Chris
Old 31-08-2013, 18:42   #19

After reconsidering, I narrow down my choice between the sea ray 45 sedan bridge and meridian 391/441 sedan. Really like the the fly bridge and agree advises from you guys that bigger boat works better. Here leads to another question: as the meridian does not have the lower helm, I live in Vancouver, the PNW cold weather may ends with every body stay warm down while leave the captain upstairs enjoy chill wind. Is this true?
Old 31-08-2013, 20:06   #20

Flybridge helm stations can be or are, wrapped in canvas and clear vinyl to give protection from the weather. With the addition of drop curtains at the rear of the bridge, you can be completely enclosed and stay reasonably comfortable on nasty days. Once you operate from the bridge you will rarely want to go to the lower helm station. If the weather gets that bad, you probably shouldn't be out anyway. The day or night visibility alone from a flybridge makes any cool weather insignificant.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 20:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
Flybridge helm stations can be or are, wrapped in canvas and clear vinyl to give protection from the weather. With the addition of drop curtains at the rear of the bridge, you can be completely enclosed and stay reasonably comfortable on nasty days. Once you operate from the bridge you will rarely want to go to the lower helm station. If the weather gets that bad, you probably shouldn't be out anyway. The day or night visibility alone from a flybridge makes any cool weather insignificant.
In this term, the meridian is better as she has larger area on the bridge. But I see most boats are always been covered with the canvas, which is not good looking in my view.

One more question: what is minimum age for kids you guys suggest that is better to bring on board. My kids are 3 and 2yrs now.
Old 01-09-2013, 15:02   #22

To clarify, by 'wrapped', I meant flybridges enclosed with canvas panels (with some clear inserts) rather than hard materials. I would say most of the boats in your area are equipped this way. All of this canvas is removable.
As long as you have lifejackets on your children and keep them under strict control and constant observation, why not take them along?
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 15:16   #23

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Used. Diesel. Put some sails on top. You got a boat.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17   #24

Thanks for all the helps from you guys.
The 441 with hard top and Zeus engine are the nice feature I like.
Is there any other place to search used meridian 441/391 other than yachtsworld?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28   #25

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Look at a used 37 foot Nordic Tug. Very functional good resale made for the Waters you will use it in. There are always a few available often do to owners going up or getting too old to use. If you buy one you may not need a second boat. There is a reason they are so popular and its not the initial price as with Bayliner and the other white bleach bottles.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 14:51   #26

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
After reconsidering, I narrow down my choice between the sea ray 45 sedan bridge and meridian 391/441 sedan. Really like the the fly bridge and agree advises from you guys that bigger boat works better. Here leads to another question: as the meridian does not have the lower helm, I live in Vancouver, the PNW cold weather may ends with every body stay warm down while leave the captain upstairs enjoy chill wind. Is this true?

Could be bridges might be cooled/heated with reverse cycle AC and heating.

Not atypical to see a flybridge "enclosed" in some combination of clear hard vinyl (EZ2CY, Makrolon, etc.), roll-up sheet vinyl (Isenglass, Strataglass, etc.), all held together and attached to the boat with a bit of "canvas" of some sort (often Sunbrella or Stamoid)... and there's a bit of greenhouse effect.

Some boats have these enclosed bridges serviced by another AC/heat unit, so as long as water temps cooperate (so the reverse cycle -- think "heat pump" using water -- works), the bridge can be reasonably bearable, even comfortable. Or you can usually add that bridge heating/cooling later...

I'm not familiar with the weather there, but maybe you get the picture...

-Chris
Old 05-09-2013, 15:03   #27

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

How about something like this 2002 Grady White 330 Express
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 20:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
How about something like this 2002 Grady White 330 Express
More like a flyer bridge style.