Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 18:25   #1

Need Help with NAVMAN GPS

Hi Guys,

In advance thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

I recently purchaseda 2007 Four Winns Vista 258 and it came with Navman GPS which I noticed was working but you can hardly read it because the back light has blown in the GPS.

So I searched around and purchased a Brand New one thats obviously a few years old sitting in its box but was all wrapped up in new condition.

I installed it and it worked for about 10 minutes perfectly then all of a sudden the light went out and wouldnt come back on.

Surely I cant be that unlucky ? All the other electronics in the boat work except the Galvanic Isolation red light is always flashing.

Any help

Cheers,

Lee
leeroybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 04:44   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Need Help with NAVMAN GPS

Lee.
If you google "Navman GPS LCD failure"you will find you are not alone. There are vendors and help pages to sort the lcd backlight issue out. So yes you may be that unlucky. You don't mention which model which may help you get more replies.
I would also check that you have a solid ground connection first.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 16:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
Lee.
If you google "Navman GPS LCD failure"you will find you are not alone. There are vendors and help pages to sort the lcd backlight issue out. So yes you may be that unlucky. You don't mention which model which may help you get more replies.
I would also check that you have a solid ground connection first.
Thanks for your help.

Yes I did find plenty of other people with blown backlights. The thing is I dont think its blown because when you first start it up it flickers on then off. Also a day ago I was working on it and it worked again for about one minute.

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but how do I check for a solid ground if thats what you think it is? It just has a round plastic connection with multiple pins for the power.

Because its a big boat I dont know where it runs after that.

Thanks,

Lee
leeroybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 20:23   #4

Lee,

From my Navman Manual:

Power/data cable (black locking collar)
Pin Wire Signal
1 Black Ground (power negative, NMEA)
2 Brown Power out, 9 V DC
3 White NMEA out, to autopilot/radar
4 Blue NavBus - or NMEA2 input
5 Red Positive power in, 11 to 16.6 V DC
6 Orange NavBus +
7 Yellow Auto power in (connect to positive
power in to enable auto power)
8 Green External beeper or light out,
switched to ground, 30 V DC,
200 mA maximum
Note: Shield is connected to pin 1, black wire

Depending on where the Navman is located on your helm area, you possibly will need to open an access panel, or open the main helm instrument console, as its most likely the wiring ground ( black) is connected to the common ground to the other instruments in that area.

Hopefully someone with a Four Winns will join in and explain how to access that area. The Navman draws more current ( 600 to 800mA depending on model) with the full backlight on, than without. Hence a bad ground may pass the GPS electronics current load, but not the full 600mA load. That is why you should check that first. Look for a loose termination or corrosion.
Old 24-02-2016, 21:41   #5

Lee,
Also first check both the male and female parts of the Black screw in plug. Ensure there is no corrosion on the pins. If there is, use electronic equipment cleaner spray (from Walmart , Tandy or equivalent). I don't recommend normal CRC or WD40 as they tend to leave a residue which you do no want. Get the correct spray, you will need it to maintain your boat anyway. Make sure to blow dry connections before assembly. Dental teeth cleaners brushes do a nice job of cleaning the female pins in this situation.

Tags
gps