Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2021, 08:47   #1

Looking for a liveaboard

So sitting here thinking of a vessel to buy in roughly 18 months

I'm in my mid 40's , grew up around the ocean with smaller boats 18 to 28 ft for the last 25 yrs, but no liveaboards. The plan is to buy a liveaboard for 9 or 10 month stays a year. 2 people mostly with 4 people , a couple weeks at a time. Florida, East Coast, Bahamas and eventually the Caribbean (willing to wait on good weather windows) ..

Criteria :

45 to 55 ft motor sailor, pilothouse or trawler
US 300K budget for boat only.. (roughly $3k to $4k monthly budget for monthly expenses. Rarely eating out and we don't drink)
2 or 3 staterooms
prefer an aft deck( sun deck)
prefer Lehmans or the like but open to DD or Cats with low HP
will run it slow 7 to 8 knots. Prefer 2 NM or more a gallon

Thoughts on the following boats

mid 80's Hatt 53 or 54
mid 80's to 90's Jefferson. 50 to 53Ft
any of the Taiwan made boats (Marine trader 50?)
Grand Banks 45 to 50ft
Defever 45 to 50ft
OA's
Viking MY

Willing to buy , for example a mid 80's Hatt 53 or 54 for 150-170K and put 100K into it. I would have 4 to 6 month full time free for the refit in South Fla, finding the right people, materials, etc. Would help out with the sweat equity doing minor projects and running arounds for all the parts and materials, though I have little skill besides a 5 day diesel basic course and my captains license, I know, no help..

So. please let me have it, the good, bad and ugly

Thanks Paul
barmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:34   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Looking for a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmen View Post
prefer Lehmans or the like but open to DD or Cats with low HP
will run it slow 7 to 8 knots. Prefer 2 NM or more a gallon

As you shop, you'll see you only have a little choice when it comes to engines in specific models. Makers built boats with "whatever," and that means "whatever" will be your choice.

That said, you can often run boats all kinds horsepower... at below hull speed and get decent mileage. Not all hull forms are great for all weather or sea states... but in general, and with some weather planning, you can usually putter along at slow speeds without breaking the bank.

(Usually that just means operating the engines at appropriate loads and resulting temps, not hard to do.... and often that's can be as low as a few hundred RPM above idle.)

IOW, find the boat you like, then worry about evaluating the engine(s) -- that come with it -- afterwards.

You'll probably get a few similar responses to your post in the other forum, too...

-Chris
Old 02-02-2022, 04:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)
Re: Looking for a liveaboard

I see your plans are about 2 years earlier than mine. A huge concern/expense for me was going to be the insurance for that was a steady mandatory monthly expense. The boat would be paid off and did not want to be strapped by that monthly payment. That is why I got into marine insurance and learned a lot...mainly don't buy a boat over 20 years old. If you get one 19 years old and find insurance for it, once the boat hits 20 years don't switch companies. Odds are you will be grandfathered in with the current company. Oh, and keep a boating experience resume handy with year, make, model, years owned/operated handy while looking for insurance. I have my clients complete one that I submit to the carriers that way there is a high likelihood a licensed captain may not be required aboard.

It will be just my wife and I, so I am becoming deadset on the Carver 444 or 466. Great stable boats the 466 has 3 staterooms but the 444 has an aft cockpit area. We have been driving around Florida looking at these from people currently owning them not selling them, not to buy just to look. Dont want to waste brokers time knowing we are not buying yet. Silverton and Mainship also have some great models in the 44-50' range that we may consider as well. Yachtworld is my best friend.

Good luck and keep us posted, learning all i can.
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard