Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 10:18   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Guns aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Taking bets on when this thread gets shut down. I pick today and bet all my worldly possessions. And my girlfriends Pomeranian.
How come, Sand Crab? Seems to have been pretty civilized so far... but not very conclusive.

Meanwhile, the basic answer is each person has to figure out their own answer to the gun question. What is right for me (as a fairly experienced off-shore cruiser) may not work for the Rambo-cruisers... and I have never felt threatened by arms-carrying cruisers or assailants.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-06-2013, 10:23   #62
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
…. I’d say do it if it makes her feel more secure.
Interesting.

As there is nowhere near enough data to even take a wild guess if being armed increases security onboard should such a major decision be made solely on an emotional perception of the situation, largely influenced by social factors like the country someone grew up in?
Old 25-06-2013, 10:25   #63

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

1 - Make sure you have a boat that can be locked down. (nice strong entry doors/hatches, and small ports help here)

2 - Have strategically located tear gas canisters that can be remotely activated.

Really - I'm not sure how safe the canisters are, or whether or not they're legal? Anyone know? Seems like they might be controlled munitions. Not so great on a windy day ... but a step up from pepper spray!
Old 25-06-2013, 10:28   #64

Some interesting new facts, and some nice foamy debate over on Slate.

But yeah, this thread has outlived its usefulness on a sailing forum. Please shut'er down.
Old 25-06-2013, 10:44   #65

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

The problem with guns is that - sailors would necessarily hide them very well, in some out of the way place. In a surprise assault (which most assaults are) the weapon would be out of reach. This is the scenario that many law enforcement officers describe in their investigations of crime. The gun gets found by the criminals when they do their search (for loot) and they (the criminals) use it against the victim.
Old 25-06-2013, 10:52   #66

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I feel the OP is just stirring a pot of POOP! She does not even own a boat but poses an argumentative gun question in the event that maybe someday she will be a boat owner. Because guns on board were discussed to adnauseam in past threads, this thread posted by a non-boat owner will continue inflaming both those who defend guns on board and those who are against guns on board. JMHO
Old 25-06-2013, 10:56   #67

Good communications help a lot. It's easier to have your phone handy than your gun, such that you could usually press the 911 button for crime committed in the states. This may not be as effective in other countries obviously. I'm not sure if a code can be attached to 911 (like 1 for robbery, 2 for rape, etc) Such a thing would give the LEO a somewhat better idea of what to expect and what priority to apply ...
Old 25-06-2013, 11:15   #68

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I have a 60# CQR, a 44# Bruce and a Fortress FX23 as a stern anchor. The CQR is on all chain.
Old 25-06-2013, 11:20   #69

The reason this debate becomes contentious is that there is no single shoe to fit all feet. There are probably cases that justify one side, and cases that justify the other.

One thing is certain. If you favor them (guns) it would be imprudent to list your inventory on these pages, or even to admit your predisposition to the idea. You'd be putting yourself on the short list for harassment, IMO.

So, GalaxyGirl must decide for herself, what shoe she wants. She is probably the only one who has the level of detail needed to make her decision. I think these gun threads do serve a purpose because they provide ideas for individual decisions, but of course civility is needed here as well.

Some people don't realize that there are extenuating circumstances for other people outside their sphere of knowledge. It is legal for some civilians to own machine guns in the U.S. Did you know?

Different cases, different strokes. ..
Old 25-06-2013, 11:29   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I have a 60# CQR, a 44# Bruce and a Fortress FX23 as a stern anchor. The CQR is on all chain.
Any sailor who can swing a 60# CQR probably doesn't need pepper spray or a gun!
Old 25-06-2013, 11:51   #71

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...new invention...making a shoe that fits everyone...size 36.5 US...width G... Eureka!

Mauritz
Knows all & sees all...your weight and fortune...only...
Old 25-06-2013, 11:53   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Anyone heard of using wasp spray as a deterrent. Was talking with a non boating friend about living in his hometown of Camden, NJ. Seems there is a small need for protection there and stupid gun laws in NJ. He recommended the wasp spray as an effective tool but may have some long term effects if not washed off quickly.
Old 25-06-2013, 11:57   #73

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Rover! Are you sure it's not a spray against bears? I need to protect my honey!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 25-06-2013, 12:18   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Taking bets on when this thread gets shut down. I pick today and bet all my worldly possessions. And my girlfriends Pomeranian.
I think everyone should have several guns!I would give all 5 kids at least one gun! I would make sure that wherever you sail to that you hide the guns so that they wont be taken from you..I would shoot at everbody that comes near the boat and make sure you have plenty wadcutters,hollow points,cop killers( AP) ammo and sinces its sooo hard to find these days take along some reloading equitment too..this ought to do it dont you think Sand crab!?
Old 25-06-2013, 12:40   #75
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I carry cans of Spinach.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns