Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2009, 13:42   #1

Boat: 2004 Scout Bay 220
General Question about Trawlers / Cruisers

I know a good bit about small boats, specifically center console type saltwater boats. I'm here to learn about big boats.

As I begin to research, I assume as in small boats there are certain manufacturers to steer clear of. I'm looking at Yachtworld, Craigslist, etc, and see brands like Carver, Bayliner, Marine Trader, and others and really don't know which of these can hold up to 30 years of use, and which are junk after 3 years of use. I know in small boats, Bayliner is a 4 letter word.

Anyone want to give opinions on brands that are known to be trouble? I'm not expecting to be able to buy a 20-30 year old boat that doesn't require mechanical/electrical work from time to time, I just don't want to spend my life fixing rot, cracking due to cheap gelcoat, blisters due to the same, complete mechanical/electrical reworks, and other things related to generally poor workmanship.

Plus I'd like to know the boat is not going to sink and risk my family's lives.

John
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 14:12   #2

Boat: Crealock 37
Lancer, Bayliner, Coronado, Irwin - heard bad about these, although I've owned two of these brands and thoroughly trusted at least one of them ...

It really depends on what you are using the boat for. I've found the (not so)old salts on this site most helpful when I brought questions about a particular boat. We've been researching voyaging sailboats for a couple of years, and I've learned that boats I loved for my daily sailing escapades weren't anything at all like what I wanted in an offshore vessel.
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 17:47   #3

John,

Take a look at Endeavour Power Trawlers at www.endeavour.com. I have been in the factory and you should too plus I've been on several of them. They are made well.

JerryF
Old 29-07-2009, 18:16   #4

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Maybe this site will help as a starting point.
Boat Reviews by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor - Index

Good luck!
Old 29-07-2009, 19:26   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It sort of depends on budget and some requirements. A nice Grand Banks or Flemming might set you back a fair amount of money. If you want open ocean capable add quite a bit more. Some of the older Tiawan trawlers can be had cheap enough and may need some work. Single screw will be cheaper than twin turbos. Around here the 36 to 37 in a sport fish or double cabin seem to be what works for two people with the occasional grand children. Sort of depends if fishing is a big deal to you. You can cruise for some weeks at a time comfortably and anchor with a genset frequently in decent comfort.

It is less about brand and more about condition. In the better boat list it is easy to miss the budget very quickly. The bigger the power plant the greater the price increases. If you want to go along at 7 knots there can be some affordable boats out there. Boats in this vintage can have a lot of subtle problems and you likly get a few you didn't anticipate. It still can all work out if you go over them well before you buy and hold back funds to cover a few surprises. Boats siting idle in a marina don't age all that well. Regular use can indicate a boater that also did regular maintenance. Excpetionally low engines hours is not usually all that good on an older boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 18:18   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
never mind the hours on the motor... check the hours on the bilge pump. Now THAT would be information that would tell the tale...

Seriously, arrange for a 24 hour test. Pump the bilge dry. Go motor for the day. Anchor for the night. The next day at 24 hours check the bilge. Wet? Pump out the bilge into buckets and measure the "haul" for the day. Then do the math... That will tell you legions...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 18:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
check the hours on the bilge pump. Now THAT would be information that would tell the tale
Sort of depends on what kind of water and where it comes from. The details could be salt a leak not a huge deal, fresh the water system extra effort, neither fresh or salt - trouble. A leaky holding tank inside the boat is trouble!
Old 30-07-2009, 19:05   #8
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Let's us not taste test it shall we?

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 19:09   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Let's us not taste test it shall we?
It's the Internet. Sometimes limits are good.
Old 01-08-2009, 19:19   #10

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully more to come, and I'll keep reading old posts.
Old 01-08-2009, 20:05   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If you are looking for a traditional trawler yacht, I would first look at Grand Banks.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 20:07   #12

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
You may find information on one of the trawler forums. This book is quite good, available on Amazon.
PowerBoat Guide to Motor Yachts & Trawlers (Paperback)

by Ed McKnew (Author), Mark Parker (Author)

They do a good job describing and giving the pros and cons of most brands of trawlers

You will find the main problems may occur on older boats of just about all brands of trawler: Leaking fuel tanks, Leaking teak decks, maybe blisters. leaks around windows.
A good surveyor is very important!
I have owned a Camano 31 (2002), and recently bought a Monk 36 (2003), I have been happy with both, both relatively new and have fiberglass decks.

Good Luck
Steve Willett
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 14:26   #13

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Get yourself a used steel fishing boat and fix it up to suit your needs. They come with huge fuel and water tanks, good solid engines, and more space than you'll ever find in a manufactured cruiser. To fix one up to the standards of say a Grand Banks will cost a fortune, but if your OK with the crudeness of a fishing boat you'll get great value for your dollar.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:23   #14

Hmmm, and old shrimboat? I'm not sure about that. It seems like it would always smell like shrimp.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:37   #15

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
More information needed...

This thread is sort of meandering around with no focus. We need to know what the intended use of the boat will be and the areas expected to be cruised.

A powerboat for putting up and down the ICW will be very different from a powerboat intended to cruise the Bahamas and Islands further south.

A powerboat for fishing the Chesapeake with the family will be different from a Sportfisher to do serious fishing with the buddies offshore.

A powerboat to liveaboard with kids will be different from a powerboat to liveaboard with just a couple and very different from a weekender or day trip boat.

Without knowing all the details, we can't suggest which boats are right for you. I think most people are posting which boats they like but their needs are not your needs.

There is also the question of hull material. I weld and fabricate so I chose a steel boat. Some guys are good with woodworking and choose wooden boats. Most people that don't want to work on the boat that much choose fiberglass. Insurance is also easier with fiberglass.

What about gas vs diesel? depends on your intended use :^)

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote