Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 23:02   #1

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Three Dead, Four Hurt in Power Boat Grounding on LI

Here is the link:
3 dead, 4 seriously injured in N.Y. boat accident - USATODAY.com
Unfortunately this is the kind of thing we get used to hearing about but this particular accident is not conclusively determined to be the result of an over reliance on GPS systems.

I propose that this thread be about the people in NY who ran their boat 100' out of the water in a narrow channel after dark rather then the NZ rescue crew.

My first observation is that in my sailboat, even at hull speed or slightly above, I could never end up 100' from water.

My second observation is that someone with a boat like Alex' could bend or lose their cantilevered keel and easily end up upside down.

My first speculation is that these deaths may have been caused by an over reliance on their GPS/charplotter.

My next speculation is that this would have been worse for the operator of this M/V had they run over a dinghy or sailing vessel.

I guess I kind of like my 'old shoe' with it's centerboard that acts as a depth sounder at maybe 6 knots. I also like going fast (hull speed) but that seems to be when the real problems happen quickly. Momentum = velocity (speed) x mass (weight).

Y'all know where this is going: to the state legislature, and beyond. I think I could pass the sailing endorsement on my license as well as watch keeping. I am pretty good about keeping a 'weather eye' out as well but first I would have to get a license from the CG, if it comes to that.

Just a few more bucks out of recreational sailboat owners into the state coffers to keep us safe from ourselves. I am sorry to be the messenger but I am beginning to think that it just may be in our future and is perhaps not the worst idea. I just do not know how you can legislate people to act 'reasonably' without hurting the core of those that are 'reasonable'.

GPS and other electronic navigating devices are worse then no driving while using hand held cellphone in a car. Add in an i-Pod and where are you?

JMHO.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:55   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
My first speculation is that these deaths may have been caused by an over reliance on their GPS/charplotter.

JMHO.
I'd speculate that the operator was barely clever enough to find the ON button for his GPS/chartplotter. But plenty clever enough to find the money to buy a fast 40 ft power boat, with cash left over for something to drink.

This was more than likely caused by someones choice to speed with callous disregard.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:02   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Experience with road traffic teaches that licences do not prevent stupidity. Plenty of drunk, high speed accidents end up with dead people.

So how precisely will changing the licencing requirements for boats improve what happens on the water?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Speculation is never good. Have we ruled out incapacitation due to heart attack or something?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Not enough detail to falt anything other then poor captaining...is that a word?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:32   #6

Boat: gozzard 44
Knowing these LI waters well, it's all marshland with narrow channels. It's difficult to get into trouble if you maintain a reasonable speed when it's dark. Usually the go-fast boats run into the bridges before they run up on the marshes. Speed was undoubtedly the killer. It remains to be seen if DWI was a factor.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Good point Ex-Calif...I'm sorry for my remark, and take it back...I dont always think before I peck.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:36   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Not speculating is hard. No harm no foul.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:41   #9

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
"The 40-foot speedboat plowed onto marshland on a moonlit Sunday night"

"The Nassau County Police Department said officers responded to the accident at around 7 p.m"

Sunset was at 6:33pm with Nautical twilight at 7:32pm this past Sunday in New York. Hardly a "moonlit Sunday night", assuming the accident occured sometime prior to the 7pm response time of the police.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:21   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Ronbo I agree with you. Speed was the killer. This quote from the article below is kind of funny.

Quote:
"done that [route up Great Island Channel] a hundred times. They lived right there. They weren't going fast. I don't think they were going much over 40 miles an hour."
Crashed boat's captain, passengers were at eatery
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:07   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Every now and then, something like this happens on Lake Washington, usually somewhere around the U of Washington. Mid-size power boat, going way too fast, runs up on shore or into a bridge, at night. Almost always, alcohol was consumed in copious quantities.

I recall reading a BoatUS report a few years ago where they said, like auto accidents, alcohol is a contributing factor in most boating accidents, too.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34   #12

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Hum, you wonder what killed them... they ran up 150' on the marsh, not like hitting a bridge... you would not think that impact so bad... no pics so maybe it inverted ? Just curious..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
How about a license for anything capable of unnatural powered(as opposed to wind power)speed above 20mph. I can't name the few sailboats that can do that. When was the last fatality caused by a "speeding sailboat" drunk or not.

Personally I'm tired of all the excuses of those with the money to buy these things use. If you are not 20miles off shore you shouldn't be doing 70mph it's dangerous to those around you. At night you're just homicidal.

Perhaps not a license? Then how about speed limits. No one can tell me there is a need to go 70mph+ to go fishing or any other on the water activity in the bounds of a small lake or bay. Off shore? Sure go for it.

Still, I hate to bring any of these ideas to the attention of any government agency for fear they screw up the logic..........m
Old 07-10-2009, 11:01   #14

Boat: MJM 50 Z
The local papers had more info. The boat was built for the owner 9 or 10 years ago and he had lots of experience. The owner was very familiar with the area. The boat is a real go-fast, it has surface drives. The kind that just start moving at 60 kts. A license would not have saved lives in this case. The occupants were thrown free of the boat. We don't know if there was a medical problem or mechanical failure.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:38   #15

Boat: Cascade
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
Personally I'm tired of all the excuses of those with the money to buy these things use. If you are not 20miles off shore you shouldn't be doing 70mph it's dangerous to those around you. At night you're just homicidal.
Many a time I have been out in the twilight or dark on the way back to my slip and heard fast moving party boats approaching from my stern. I now have a spot light that I shine on them to let them know I'm ahead. They move way to fast and there are too many background lights from the city to trust that they see me!

CBC News - British Columbia - Woman killed in B.C. boating accident