Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2022, 18:59   #1

Cape May to Annapolis, MD

Thinking of planning a trip from the Cape May, NJ canal to Annapolis through the Chesapeake Delaware canal. Haven’t traveled longer than 4 hours from my house in my 26 Pursuit. Has anyone done this trip and is a one day or do I need to make it two days?
Stvroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 19:54   #2

Re: Cape May to Annapolis, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvroth View Post
Thinking of planning a trip from the Cape May, NJ canal to Annapolis through the Chesapeake Delaware canal. Haven’t traveled longer than 4 hours from my house in my 26 Pursuit. Has anyone done this trip and is a one day or do I need to make it two days?
I did the reverse on a sailboat at 5 knots in 2 full days. Depends on a lot, but if you have flat seas and time the currents in the Delaware river and canal right I am guessing there's no reason you couldn't easily do that in a day at 25 knots.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 03:51   #3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I did the reverse on a sailboat at 5 knots in 2 full days. Depends on a lot, but if you have flat seas and time the currents in the Delaware river and canal right I am guessing there's no reason you couldn't easily do that in a day at 25 knots.
What RRRob is attempting to say, in his inimitable Southern style, is: here is an opportunity for you to do a little passage-planning exercise.

First, figure out the rough miles from Cape May to Annapolis (hopefully you have a chart), now, based on the weather, what's your 26-foot boat's average sailing speed? Do a rough calculation - 100 miles at 5 knots/hour = 20 hours - so one VERY long day, if you're trying to do it in one day (and that's based on doing 5 knots consistently the whole time).

But wait! Now figure in your tides. What if you left on a rising or falling tide?

Now it becomes a bit tricky because the rising tide may help you to get to the canal, but then (depending on how the local tides run specifically) once you're in the canal and approaching the entrance to the Chesapeake, you'll want to catch the falling tide at the top of the Chesapeake to assist in transporting you down to Annapolis.

Does that give you a better picture, I hope? If you're not going this weekend, do some research into this weekend's weather and tides and see how you would plot to maximize the benefits of both. Remember, sometimes the tactic is to ride the rising tidal stream to the mouth of the canal, anchor until slack water, then haul anchor as the tide turns and begins to fall towards the Chesapeake.

In any case, do NOT discount the strength/ help provided to you by the tidal streams. Ignore them at your peril.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 04:17   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

The distance is approx 120 NM so could be as short as 4 hours (after you enter Delaware Bay from the canal) if you cruise at 30 kts. And depending on if you have enough fuel tankage to make it all in one leap; otherwise you'd need to add refueling time.

But... Delaware City makes an OK stop. Chesapeake City makes an OK stop. Fuel available in both. (Fuel also available at Summit North Marina on the C&D Canal.) You could break up the trip with a stopover at any if you like, one in one direction, the other in the other.

We can do the trip in one day, but more often we run at trawler speeds and make a stopover either at Chesapeake City or Delaware City, depending on how the mood strikes us.

DO pay attention to weather planning. Wind against tide, especially on Delaware Bay, can make for a miserable trip!

Also, DO be sure you're clear about where the jetty is at the east end of the C&D Canal. IOW, don't hit it.

If you can also plan it so you're running Delaware Bay with the tide, so much the better... but I'd guess at your likely cruising speeds that won't make all that much difference.

-Chris
Old 23-04-2022, 04:28   #5

I guess a Pursuit 26 is a powerboat? Didn't see the Forum it was under. I was looking at today's list of New Posts.

Sorry about that, Steve - the conceit of a sailboat-er. I'm always thinking from the perspective of a sailor!

(Leveraging tides could still help a bit, though)
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 05:57   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

This is s speedy powerboat.

Avoid going into the wind on the Delaware; it can throw up a miserable chop. Other than that, and planning for fuel, nothing special. This is a two day trip in a sailboat, but it's only a two day trip for you if you want to break it up.
Old 23-04-2022, 06:15   #7

Boat: Adams 45

If you wanted a pretty cove to spend the night about half-way, the Bohemia River near the west end of the canal is very pleasant. No services, just a nice place to anchor.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 07:10   #8

Boat: S2 9.1

I have done it twice on a sail boat and stopped both times at Chesapeake city, nice stop. Good crab shack.
Tidal currents could help you a bit like Little Wing says. I was delivering a 45 foot cat from Annapolis to Albany.

Worked out the tides and left Chesapeake City at 7 am Thursday morning and went under the Verrazzano Bridge into NY harbour at 11am Friday morning.

I was pretty pumped about that time. Oh and that was April 1-2nd.

Have fun!
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 15:32   #9

I have done this trip over a dozen times. Here is my 2 cents.

1. Buy the proper charts. You do not have to have them, but it makes the trip a whole lot more fun as you navigate the route. There is a LOT of commercial traffic in the Canal and approaches... hence another reason for charts so you know where there is water and where there is not if you are forced out of the channel. Also, there are a ton of ranges that you can navigate and they will be clearly indicated on the charts. To me, it is fun and satisfying to know that I am am able to "shoot a range."

2. Plan your trip, and I do mean plan and plan well. One of the worst places you want to be is to exit the Cape May Ferry canal and try to turn north at the entrance buoy on an outgoing tide and an incoming wind. You will think you are the Capt. of a submarine. Of all of the bodies of water that I have traveled, the Delaware Bay is among the worst in nasty weather. That being said, once you get south of the flats in the Chesapeake, a SE wind would be right on your nose, and you will be forced to slow down.

3. Try to time your trip so you have an incoming tide by the time you enter the C&D, and an outgoing tide when you depart. The current is fierce through the canal. Use it to your advantage. One year I purposely left Annapolis at 3 AM so I could take advantage of the tides. When planning your trip, think what a 5 kt current will do if it is to your advantage or disadvantage.

4. Full tanks please. Fuel is scare in the upper Delaware. If you find yourself with a 1/2 tank in Chesapeake City, you should stop for fuel. Again, you should be planning fuel into your "float plan," which may also have to consider if a marina is open at your scheduled arrival.

TBL: The trip can easily be done in one day in a 26 Pursuit with a 25 kt cruise provided you have done proper planning and do not get a bad case of gottagoitus.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 09:35   #10

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
This is s speedy powerboat.

Avoid going into the wind on the Delaware; it can throw up a miserable chop. Other than that, and planning for fuel, nothing special. This is a two day trip in a sailboat, but it's only a two day trip for you if you want to break it up.
I think I would say..... avoid wind against the tidal current.

Written as such, makes it sound like wind on the nose is bad even if it's with the tidal current.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 09:57   #11

Pursuit is a power boat. Model 266 (new as of 2020) has a range of about 300 miles at cruising speed 24 knots with 2 x 200 Hp outboards according to some test data.
cruising_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 10:16   #12

Boat: Baba 40

Did it against the wind (thanks, Mr. Seger!) and pounded all day. Rubbing our noses in it, we watched a powerboat slowly riding the stern wake of a freighter, barely spilling their cocktails, no doubt!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis