Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2017, 20:11   #16

Re: Boat Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
OP You should move over to Trawler forum, no matter how may times you try to make yourself clear these guys are going to sell you something with a stick and bed sheets .... it's the nature of the beast

BTW, sorry but I couldn't resist dropping your name...
Diesel vs Gasoline - Page 3
englewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37   #17

Nordhavn 46

https://www.followingseas.media/blog...ng-to-cruising

1996 nordhaven 46 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

How much fuel you burn is hugely dependent on how fast you want to go. If fuel was a big consideration then they would have been asking about a sail boat. But that is not what they want.

Not only will a twin engine boat be more likely to get you back to the dock, maneuvering at the dock is massively increased.

I would take a twin screw over a single screw with a bow thruster any day.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 15:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalmile View Post
Thanks very much for advice so far.

Budget is approx £300k and ultimately we would like to sail around New Zealand although we might start in the Bay Of Islands where it is calmer waters.

We have been looking at boats in the US so I guess boating will start in these waters.

I appreciate there are loads of boatmakers to choose from but was just wondering if anyone had any particular experiences of these types of boats, good or bad to help with our purchasing choice.

Apologies for not making the Power boat bit clear! I am new to this site and will get the hang of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
I have a single engine, on 8000miles in 2 yrs this trip. I spend more on insurance or booze and food or etc. then I do in fuel! I will agree with the upfront costs though. Blue water power boats aren't cheap compared to a sailboat.
I know this thread is several months old, but just in case...

A lot of power boats are designed to cruise at higher speeds and drink fuel like a fish. This makes them expensive and gives them a short range. However, there is a subset of long range passagemakers that motor along at slow speeds sipping fuel at low numbers gallons per hour. When I say slow speeds, these boats are apparently much faster than monohull sail boats because they can firstly go in a straight line, and secondly maintain a constant speed of 5-6-7 knots depending on length because they are not limited by the wind. When you are using so little fuel, your fuels costs are supposedly comparable to the cost of maintaining sails and rigging of a wind powered boat.

I would read Coastal Cruising Under Power by Robert Bede and The Troller Yacht Handbook by George Buhler to get a good understanding of how this philosophy. I'm a particular fan of Buhler who espouses simpler boats focusing more on simplicity, seakindliness, seaworhtiness, efficiency and comfort (as opposed to luxury).

You can get Diesel Ducks in the mid 40ft range for your price. Most production boats in this range, like nordhavns, which are very nice boats, are targeted at the wealthy luxury market and are well outside your price range I would imagine.
Mozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 22:25   #20

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

I would suggest the Northwest boats, like the Northwest 52.

The Northwest has serious offshore cruising capability. This particular one is a twin. BTW, I would recommend a single engine for a boat like this. From a maintenance perspective, you are better off having one engine to worry about, and 1 big engine is better than 2 little engines. Diesels are very reliable. If you are worried about a diesel engine failing, you are probably not ready to be operating an ocean-going vessel. Basically, you don't want to start going long distances offshore unless you have confidence in operating and maintaining the engine.

jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men