Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 10:54   #16

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'
Re: Any safety issues with this dingy?

In addition to the overhangs taking a beam sea I'd also be concerned about getting pooped (swamped) from the rear. Also what is the load capacity of the stern platform? Pounding into head seas can create shock loads that could compromise the platform. Most ribs carried on the stern are either in their side to prevent filling or on purpose built davit systems designed to carry the load and minimize stern wave flooding.
You refer to your flats boat as a dinghy. It's not. It's a fishing boat designed for backwater shallow fishing grounds. A good RIB will provide you with a much better solution to your dinghy needs. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 11:06   #17

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGator View Post
It won't cause any issues with marinas sticking out. As I stated in my post I will not leave the dingy on the transom when docked. I appreciate the input, but the use of the dingy is not the question here. The question is about the safety, stability and any other concern of transiting with the dingy on the platform. Should I use chalks? Is it OK for the dingy to sit directly on the platform as in the picture (assuming I put a large rubber pad down), etc?
The first thing that occurs to me is that if you get into heavy seas, and are rolling badly, waves are going to strike that tender and try to rip it off the platform.

Perhaps the solution is to be prepared to shift the tender to being towed. Many larger yachts tow their tenders on passages. A strong towing eye very low on the bow will make that boat tow better.

On the other hand, this looks like a light, flat, low boat with a tall, heavy motor (probably 50hp, and up on jackers!). I am not sure how stably it will tow. It is self bailing? I am sure that it has a battery for starting that engine, put a huge bilge pump with an automatic switch in it.

And good luck, I wouldn't do it.
Old 21-09-2020, 13:27   #18

Boat: Phantom 32

I wouldn't tow a dinghy. Even in a moderate following sea and breeze, the thing will surf into your stern. Ask me how I know
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:28   #19

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Even on a relatively flat sea, the overhang is problematic. How often have you slowed down and turned into a large wake to minimize pounding and roll. By slowing down, the wake isn't pushed away from your hull, but moves along the hull. Even a relatively small wake would hit the bow hard. If the running sea picks up and you slow down for safety and comfort, waves may hit the boat at an angle, which would be disastrous for this setup.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:37   #20

Is your 16 ft self-bailing?
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:47   #21

Boat: Irwin 38

Assuming the cockpit area is deep enough -- front to back -- why not rest it on the gunnels? Use 2x4s to protect the glass and gelcoat and shape them to match the hull. Add a couple of right-height saw horses in between. Cover the wood with carpet like trailer beds.

Any waves at gunnel height and you're already in trouble, regardless of the skiff.

Just be aware that at gunnel height, the extra weight in the stern of the skiff -- engine, arch, batteries, etc. -- could mess with the port/starboard balance of the mother ship.
SV Aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:27   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Call me crazy (wouldn't be the first time), but have you ever seen a nesting dinghy?

Saw the front 5 or so feet off the flats boat, glass over the open ends of both, flip the front over onto the aft section (hinges, maybe)? and you have something that fits on the platform. Just need to build a good system to lock it open in use.

p.s. it's "chocks". Chalk is something you write with, and very water-soluble.
Redline452 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:32   #23
cruiser

Boat: 33 Sloop

Looks like a fun potato chip.

For dingy duty that’s not going to be ideal, it’s not a V hull so it’s going to be sporty in chop and your kidneys might not love you, I’d also expect some rash taking it into the dingy docks, on top of that if it take a big wave and floods the cockpit I wonder if it’ll sink, looks like it already is a low freeboard boat.

I’d think it’s happy place would be hauling butt on a flat lake or in a garage, I have a similar boat with a 225hp 2 stroke, fun but not something that’s very useful aside for fun and girls in bikinis.
FastTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:45   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you’re determined to take it, at least tow it on open water passages. Don’t rely on the bow eye you use to pull it up on a trailer. You need a much stronger eye with a big backing plate for towing a boat at any speed.
Old 21-09-2020, 14:50   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

This is what you need to tow it safely.
BROWARD MACHINE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BAF5254-5356-4C6A-9487-19485B01172D.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	223911  
Old 21-09-2020, 15:41   #26

Boat: Tiara 4400 49.5

Similar question- Looking for input on hanging over just 8" with my sea cycle? Should I lift it higher or do you think it will be fine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seacycle.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	223915  
Dallas Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 16:07   #27

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

OP, that should be fine.

On mine, the bottom of the swim platform is only whacked by a wave very infrequently, such as at anchor with an idiot making a wake, so covering the platform openings is unlikely to cause an issue.

It is unlikely that normal operation will cause an issue as the dinghy bow will always be in the air, not in the wake or in the spray.

One concern would be if the local LEO want's to come alongside. That aft projection might contribute to problems if they raft up.

Yes, not using the vee davit chocks would probably be best for that dinghy.

On my dinghy, when I am just putting around, the vee davit chocks are sufficient, when required I use a single 2" ratchet strap. I have a second 2" ratchet strap that could be added. I also secure the dinghy bow and stern w/ lines to the boat cleats.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 16:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Bell View Post
Similar question- Looking for input on hanging over just 8" with my sea cycle? Should I lift it higher or do you think it will be fine?
Welcome to the forum.

The mass of the Sea Cycle is only 175 lbs. That setup has most of the mass on the platform.

The improvement that would have the biggest effect is for fore and aft port pontoon lines pulling downward, such as a line attached to the port bow, wrapping under the platform, secured to the port stern pontoon.

That additional retention would eliminate the possibility for the Sea Cycle to bounce when handling rough water.
Old 21-09-2020, 16:18   #29

Boat: Tiara 4400 49.5

Thanks Wingless!
Dallas Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 16:22   #30

Dallas Bell, you're welcome.

OP, is would probably be best to have the dinghy outboard vertical, in operating position. I would move the dinghy as far to the port as possible, probably just a little more than shown, to have that engine mass not hanging over as much as possible.

Also, remove as much weight as possible from the dinghy, fuel tank and other extra stuff will also help.

Tags
safety