Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2023, 17:20   #1

Am I looking for the perfect boat that doesn't exist?

We recently got our first boat a couple months ago (23' center console) and we're already talking about what we want in our next boat but I'm not sure all our needs are possible. I realize everything in boating is a compromise, but I'd like some of your thoughts for what boats (new or used) would best fit our needs:
  • <$200k
  • >30' Length (Don't want to get beat up exploring the Chesapeake Bay)
  • >1.5 MPG
  • >2 Berths (4 adults, including myself @ 6'2")
  • Enclosure
  • Enclosed Head
  • A/C & Heat
  • Generator
  • Refrigerator
  • Galley
  • 8+ Person Capacity
Am I looking for a unicorn? Was thinking something like a Jeanneau NC 895 Sport, but I'm thinking something with a deeper V and an extra foot or so will make a big difference around the Bay. Maybe Ranger Tugs R-29? Thoughts?
BaltimoreCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 05:53   #2

Boat: Cargile Cutter
Re: Am I looking for the perfect boat that doesn't exist?

Suggest you search "Trawlers for sale" in facebook marketplace.
Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreCaesar View Post
We recently got our first boat a couple months ago (23' center console) and we're already talking about what we want in our next boat but I'm not sure all our needs are possible. I realize everything in boating is a compromise, but I'd like some of your thoughts for what boats (new or used) would best fit our needs:
  • <$200k
  • >30' Length (Don't want to get beat up exploring the Chesapeake Bay)
  • >1.5 MPG
  • >2 Berths (4 adults, including myself @ 6'2")
  • Enclosure
  • Enclosed Head
  • A/C & Heat
  • Generator
  • Refrigerator
  • Galley
  • 8+ Person Capacity
Am I looking for a unicorn? Was thinking something like a Jeanneau NC 895 Sport, but I'm thinking something with a deeper V and an extra foot or so will make a big difference around the Bay. Maybe Ranger Tugs R-29? Thoughts?
Almost every power boat greater than 30 feet meets this criteria (With the exception of center consoles and walkarounds).

Express Cruisers: Searay, Cruisers Inc., Monterrey, Maxum, Bayliner, Rinker, Four Winns,

Flybridge boats: Searay, Silverton, Carver, Luhrs,

Trawlers: Mainship, Albin, (any Chinese trawler)

Try searching on Yachtworld.com.

Believe it or not, your criteria is not narrow enough.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:32   #4

OK, maybe the 1.5MPG will be a challenge on larger planing boats. Trawlers will definitely have the best fuel economy. Small express cruisers 30 -32 might be close to your goal.

Honestly, fuel cost is probably the cheapest expense on a powerboat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Almost every power boat greater than 30 feet meets this criteria...Believe it or not, your criteria is not narrow enough.
I've looked at a lot of those models, but haven't been able to find much that also meets the MPG requirement. Basically everything I've seen gets 1.0mpg best case scenario
Old 09-08-2023, 06:46   #6

Copy that. I think my use case living on the water and wanting to cruise around and explore the Bay 3-5 days per week is what is making the mpg thing a bigger deal for me and my fam that for many people. That being said, the idea of needing multiple boats is starting to become a reality for me based on input here and a couple other forums/FB groups where I've asked the same question.
Old 11-08-2023, 13:10   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreCaesar View Post
I've looked at a lot of those models, but haven't been able to find much that also meets the MPG requirement. Basically everything I've seen gets 1.0mpg best case scenario
We can usually get around 1.5 NMPG if we run our diesel planing-hull boat at "trawler" speeds. (At least below maximum theoretical hull speed, and better, a factor of 1.1x or 1.2x instead of 1.34x.) Sometimes even approaching 2 NPMG if wind, current, ride cooperate.

Not sure whether the gas version of models Shrew mentioned will do that... but they might.

Otherwise, at planing speeds, > 1.0 NMPG might not be an easy one to solve.

-Chris
Old 13-08-2023, 05:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

If I run my single screw trawler - 22,000 pounds - at 6 knots I’m looking at 1.6 gal/hr or about 3.6 nm/gal

My previous sailboat 33’ at 6 knots under power burned less than a gallon an hour.

Go slow it’s more comfortable and cheaper [emoji3]
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 09:09   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've found a couple more options to add to my list, primarily the Benneteau Antares 9 which I'm really liking
Old 21-08-2023, 14:14   #10

Boat: Riva 48

Congrats on getting into boating with your first boat. It is a typical pathway, you start with a small boat, then you decide you need a home with cabins and heads on the water. You are focusing on things that are not important since most boats have them. Better to think about the following:

- New vs. old. Old is always better value but maintenance can add up quickly.

- Deeper v hulls vs. flatter bottom. Deep v is more sea kindly in heavy weather, while flat bottom (<12 degrees) is more fuel efficient. The vast majority of people choose fuel efficiency.

- Pretty much any power boat of meaningful size makes 2-3 nmpg at below hull speed and 0.8-1 nmpg at efficient planning speed, deep-v is 0.5-0.8 nmpg. If you have the option to plane, most people plane, i.e. after all the purchase, docking and maintenance costs, you would rather get to the destination 3x faster for double the fuel cost which is minor relative to the other costs. Trawlers appeal to a very specific kind of sailor and can be beautiful but cruising at 30 knots has a beauty of its own. If you do not relax the 1.5 nmpg condition you will end up with a very small boat not suitable for four people.

I chose an older Riva 48 and could not be happier but every now and then I get upset with the maintenance costs. I would focus on quality (value), age vs. budget, looks and layout. These are the factors that would make you smile when you enjoy the boat.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 17:37   #11

Boat: Imexus 28

We found a yacht that does nearly everything you are looking for as well as sails much of the time saving huge amounts of fuel costs.
Our long range cruising equipped Imexus 28 can sleep 4 comfortably and accommodate 6/8 at the dinette or in the cockpit for drinks/dinner.
It is trailerable behind a regular larger 4x4 opening a huge range of cruising ground options.
We have standing headroom at the galley, an enclosed shower toilet, lots of internal and cockpit storage lockers and for those unfamiliar with sailing it can operate as a planing powerboat whilst the owner tentatively learns the sailing ropes so to speak.
Whilst not a really fast sailing yacht it is more than adequate for sail assisted long range cruising.
It is a different experience from the likes of a Ranger Tug and in my view more flexible in many respects.
Not as spacious or as cold climate comfortable however.
It has an inbuilt location for a generator and we have a Honda eu 2.2 which we used previously but now have lithium drop in Powerpacks and solar panels providing shore power like 240v whilst remote cruising.
We are currently living onboard out on The Great Barrier Reef in Australia for several months and have been out here 4 weeks since last resupply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	279913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1491.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	279914  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg