Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 07:05   #31

Re: 10m Cooper Prowler - Seaworthy?

I'd apologize for this long post, but I think it's great that a few other Cooper Yachts owners can share info here, in the only online thread I'm aware of to so do. So, just to keep this going... We ordered our 2 new Volvo Penta 5.3 liter (327 Cu In) motors and DPS drives at huge expense, as you can imagine. Did I mention that we plan to keep this boat?? Well, now we are into it for more than we dreamed.. We redesigned the helm in the main salon and why? Because I'm not tall and the original design is for a tall person, or a guy like me standing on a step stool. We changed the helm to be one continuous slope, so the "step" or level section of the dashboard is now rebuilt to be a single plane that is the same slope as the top half was. Luckily, we had access to a fantastic woodworker who specializes in teak on boats! We have removed all the wiring from the boat, to clear out all the hack jobs done before we bought it and some of the questionable factory wiring. While cleaning up the hardened and still smelly leakage from the aluminum waste tank that had accumulated behind the water tank, we removed the 250 liter aluminum water tank and found that there is lots of oxidation or corrosion inside it. Yuck, that might be drinking water, so we are going to replace that with a big plastic tank. Since my last update, the engine bay has been gutted and fully painted with bilge paint, the wiring and batteries have been removed from inside too. The bilge area has been mostly painted, but will be completely painted with white bilge paint (even the parts you can't normally see). Both helms have been gutted, gauges are going to be replaced by screens that can be customized to show engine data, fuel consumption vs remaining time on remaining fuel and that can be integrated with a nav system and AIS transponder. All throttle and gear levers will be replaced by the VP unit that combines the throttle and gear controls rather neatly. We'll also add the VP "Easy Connect" kit for all of that engine and other data to appear on an iPad via Blue Tooth.
We found out that when you order a new power unit/drive package from VP and tell them what you are replacing, they didn't know or mention that it would require resizing the drive holes in the transom. We discovered that VP makes adapter plates specifically for this, but none of the holes of the old 290 drives line up with the plate, so those have to be filled and all new holes need to be lined up and drilled. the plates are about $1300 each CDN. Yippee..

Our old hydraulic windlass... well, it worked great, but as I mentioned previously, it ran off the port engine, which I was never truly comfortable with and it was leaking water down the hydraulic connections, so.... out it went and we are installing a new vertical electric Maxwell windlass with a capstan (Hey, I like capstans, what can I say?). The vertical unit means that the wiring doesn't need to go through the deck and is kept inside, so less chance of water running into the hull.. Speaking of the anchor locker, Cooper thought it would be a good idea to put the anchor locker drain about 1/2 an inch above the locker floor, so that means it has water sitting in it.. We re-drilled the hole at floor level, so now any water in there will find its way out..

We are also ripping out the stinky carpet and replacing it with click lock flooring that is made for marine use and looks like teak.. We are also adding a 2400 watt inverter and 2 new starter batteries, but the big house batteries are still very good. (a previous owner ripped out the original inverter.)
Those goofy engine bay covers (ours is not an aft cabin, so we have these..), never liked the way they open, so a new aluminum single lid with struts is going in there.

The flybridge seating sucks.. We are looking at a more usable setup for the flybridge, because if we go out with another couple, 3 seats is silly. Maybe a 2 seater bench or 2 up there, not sure yet.

The previous owner lost his bumming (???), so we have a new custome one coming that will cover the flybridge and another part to cover the back.

We are looking for a dinght outboard solution that will allow our outboard to be lowered onto the dinghy, but the only one I've seen is over $5K CDN, so that's out. Cheaper for us to have a crane and mount the outboard on the transom. By the way, the transom on this boat is one of the sturdiest both our shops have ever seen. At 4" thick, it is one solid piece of boat!

At this point, we are beyond what any sane person would spend on a boat like this, but we plan to keep it for many years and use it year round, so for us, it will be good.

Also, we've had the new name applied to the boat and it was quickly covered up until we do the denaming and renaming ceremony. We have a great plan for that with all our friends around..

One day, we may even be back on the water again... (6 months on the hard and counting)...

I met a guy who is friends with David Cooper and he said he'd put me in touch with him, but Mr. Cooper did not reply to my email.. I can understand that he's not interested in discussing a 30 year old boat that his dad's company made, but a reply would be nice.
Coast Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:15   #32

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

In my Merc repowering and new outdrive, the original leg hole was glassed in (some minor softness found and epoxy repaired) and the new hole cut out. I had about 6 different guys recommend reglassing (each seperate businesses) rather than using some kind of plate for resizing, which we were originally going to do.

The engine going in has resulted in a two wood stringers being shaved down in one area and bolstering of the area being done so the area isn't weak. My refit guy has said that in every repower he has been involved with (his business isn't doing the repowering, another is but he is helping modifying what needs changing), something had to be changed or adapted. So don't be surprised when you get a phone call saying they found some hiccup in the installation, its not a big deal, boat dollars can fix it.

I am like you and have spent a lot for my boat, but the boat has become mine, built for my needs and desires. Bigger fuel tanks for extended cruising into the Broughtons and north to Alaska (can hear the tune in my head). Efoy so I don't have to worry about extended rain not powering solar panels. And my boat for its 29 foot size is one of the few with a dedicated refrigerator and a separate dedicated freezer. And significant storage space for extended cruising as well.

As I type this the engine has been lowered into the boat and taken out again to establish a proper bedding for it. For a variety of reasons I have phoned Merc in Wisconsin and talked about using a B2 versus B3 drive and in the discussion was informed of my new top speed which I was surprised to learn should be around 31 knots. The boat is a shallow V semi-displacement designed for speed but was originally powered for about 14 knots. I was hoping to get the boat up to 18 - 20 knots, guess I did that... lol!

So as you are singing the boat dollar blues, you know you have "your" boat.

PS: edited this in - my boat went on the hard roughly 1 November 2018 and probably now won't be done until the middle to end of September. Sadly I had to cancel the boats entry into the Victoria Classic Boat Show which I was registered for this Labour Day.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:27   #33

Point well taken! Actually, after I posted that, we found out that the adapter plates are the wrong ones, so the right ones are arriving Monday. No big deal, except that the shop now owns the first set and they didn't find out until after the plates were installed... I'm very confident in the rigidity of these plates - they are extremely solid and will seal up perfectly. Our main issue with doing glass work was the time it would take, so this is the best option for us.

Definitely "our" boat for sure. With a pair of 300hp 5.3s in there, we expect to be able to hit 30 or come close. Apparently the 350hp option is just somftware in these engines, but it really only buys you a little more speed. I'll be too poor to go that fast in this boat, lol..

Our previous pair of 5.7s in their old age were still able to push us to 18 knots, but we doubted the reliability of them and the drives. Good thing we did - the drives were badly worn, thanks to no maintenance from previous owners. Hope your repower goes very well!
Old 06-01-2020, 06:18   #34

Hello fellow Prowler owners! Joined this forum so I could offer my 2 cents! I have a 89 Prowler sunbridge (express) With twin 4.3L Volvo Pentas W. SP drives. The boat has been great and is now 31 years old! Everything mechanically is original and well maintained, we cruise Georgian Bay in the summer months almost every weekend and then for a week holiday each year. The boat has been in the family since 1991 and I purchased it from my folks roughly 10 years ago. We spend a few thousand on the boat in maintenance each year regardless if it is needed or not, we take long trips in all kinds of weather and we want it to be reliable...in fact our boat has proven to be more reliable than our many in our marina with much newer hardware. I mean it's pretty remarkable, original motors we cruise on plane between 20-25 mph all the time and she keeps trucking along, she gets up on plane without hesitation full of fuel, water, gear, and even a small tender with a 25hp and console on a davit. Starters, alternators even the carbs and belts are still original lol! We do keep up on using original oem Volvo parts when needed...especially the water pump impellers! Do not use cheap aftermarket ones as they don't fit properly and don't seal against the cover plate.
Keep it tuned up, service drives annually and grease the bearing in the bell housing! Also keep up on your waxing We have also done many aesthetic improvements such as teak and holly flooring below, Woven vinyl flooring above, new canvas, new interior fabrics and new removable bolsters and cushions in the aft cockpit. She really does look mint!
Anyways, we are now thinking about selling her to get something bigger. I am looking at either a 10M Prowler or a Tollycraft. I'm hesitant to sell because I know our boat so well and don't want to end up with someones junk. If anyone is interested let me know
I'd also be happy to share any info I can on Prowler Express and Volvo's that I can.
Oh and for the record, Volvo drives from the late 80's are probably the best drive ever built. Mine are proof, 31 years of service, O issues. If these were Merc's they would have been replaced 3 times over by now! If we end up keeping the boat I would re power with the exact same 4.3L V6 set up only I'd try to go fuel injected if possible.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	206395   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	206396  

Name:	boat3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	206397  
Carpspudpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:40   #35

[/url][/IMG]Hey there, I purchased a 1990 Cooper Prowler 10M from Seattle and brought it down to SoCal. did a full remodel. I had been searching for a few years on this boat and held out for the sedan model versus the aft cabin model to have the 2 staterooms instead. It also allowed for an up galley which was great for viewing out the windows when in the galley. I have set up a facebook club page for anyone who wishes to join . It is listed under "Cooper Prowler Southern California looking to gain members and hopefully create a location to share insight on the boat as well as organize local owners to cruise, etc. Look it up and check it out!
Brandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:04   #36

Re: 10 metre Cooper Prowler thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanislander View Post
Loupdemer - The surveyor told me the blisters were not important enough to worry about. Maybe yours are more pervasive than mine.

I would love to start a 10 m Prowler thread! I think you can subscribe to a thread so that if one of the interested parties does a post, the subscribers get notified - Makes for more up-to-date replies. I am just not sure how to start one. (Hint Hint moderator!)
I have created a facebook group cooper prowler southern California for owners of Cooper Prowler boats, feel free to join.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:05   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpspudpicker View Post
Hello fellow Prowler owners! Joined this forum so I could offer my 2 cents! I have a 89 Prowler sunbridge (express) With twin 4.3L Volvo Pentas W. SP drives. The boat has been great and is now 31 years old! Everything mechanically is original and well maintained, we cruise Georgian Bay in the summer months almost every weekend and then for a week holiday each year. The boat has been in the family since 1991 and I purchased it from my folks roughly 10 years ago. We spend a few thousand on the boat in maintenance each year regardless if it is needed or not, we take long trips in all kinds of weather and we want it to be reliable...in fact our boat has proven to be more reliable than our many in our marina with much newer hardware. I mean it's pretty remarkable, original motors we cruise on plane between 20-25 mph all the time and she keeps trucking along, she gets up on plane without hesitation full of fuel, water, gear, and even a small tender with a 25hp and console on a davit. Starters, alternators even the carbs and belts are still original lol! We do keep up on using original oem Volvo parts when needed...especially the water pump impellers! Do not use cheap aftermarket ones as they don't fit properly and don't seal against the cover plate.
Keep it tuned up, service drives annually and grease the bearing in the bell housing! Also keep up on your waxing We have also done many aesthetic improvements such as teak and holly flooring below, Woven vinyl flooring above, new canvas, new interior fabrics and new removable bolsters and cushions in the aft cockpit. She really does look mint!
Anyways, we are now thinking about selling her to get something bigger. I am looking at either a 10M Prowler or a Tollycraft. I'm hesitant to sell because I know our boat so well and don't want to end up with someones junk. If anyone is interested let me know
I'd also be happy to share any info I can on Prowler Express and Volvo's that I can.
Oh and for the record, Volvo drives from the late 80's are probably the best drive ever built. Mine are proof, 31 years of service, O issues. If these were Merc's they would have been replaced 3 times over by now! If we end up keeping the boat I would re power with the exact same 4.3L V6 set up only I'd try to go fuel injected if possible.

Cheers!
I have created a facebook group cooper prowler southern California for owners of Cooper Prowler boats, feel free to join.
Old 01-09-2020, 16:42   #38

Boat: 1988 Cooper Prowler 10M Sundeck

Greetings all! My wife & just acquired a 1988 Cooper Prowler 10M Sundeck with twin Volvo diesels. So I thought I’d revive this thread! “Escapade” is in pretty good shape overall. I believe we are the fourth owners and it spent its whole life in SF Bay Area. Both turbos were seized when we bought it and were rebuilt at sellers expense. Runs great now! Our survey revealed a few small blisters in the hull near the bow. We were told they could wait until the next haulout & bottom paint job, probably a year from now.

Here’s a pic just after she arrived at her new home:

One question. Can anyone tell me where to find replace window pull knobs? She’s missing a few. They look like this:

Thanks!
Roamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 16:20   #39

Boat: Cooper Prowler 10m Sundeck

Hi all:
New 10m Prowler owner here. Just bought one in Seattle where it will stay for the winter and then we'll bring it here to Alaska. We'd like to do the Inside Passage to Juneau and then that's where things get interesting.
We're not sure it has enough fuel on board to do the Gulf of Alaska crossing with any kind of safety margin, even stopping in Yakutat for fuel.
Does anyone know how tall they are without a radar arch or hardtop? We could possibly put it on a trailer and bring it to Whittier on the Alaska Marine Highway System car ferry if it would fit.
Evidently there aren't any barges running from Juneau to Whittier direct anymore.
EyeOnAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 16:45   #40

@EyeOnAlaska Congrats on your purchase! Bridge clearance is 12 ft., according to this original factory flier (attached). I believe that’s from the waterline, without radar arch or hardtop.

Old 17-11-2020, 17:10   #41

Thanks for the info. That possibly gives me another option to getting it here.
Old 23-11-2020, 15:27   #42

Port-side transmission just stopped shifting on my Cooper. I mean, the shift lever at both helm stations is seized — won’t move at all. I’m guessing a linkage problem. Feedback...?
Old 24-11-2020, 09:21   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamad View Post
@EyeOnAlaska Congrats on your purchase! Bridge clearance is 12 ft., according to this original factory flier (attached). I believe that’s from the waterline, without radar arch or hardtop.

You wouldn't happen to have a scan of that page, would you? It's the only place I've seen any info about our sedan version. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would appreciate a copy that is easy to read..Cheers.
Old 24-11-2020, 09:25   #44

I'd love a scan of this as well.
Old 26-11-2020, 21:10   #45

I’ve attempted to attach both jpg and pdf copies. Hopefully one or the other will be adequate. (BTW, this was framed on the wall of our galley by a previous owner of our Cooper).

Name:	53EED87B-DBFA-421B-B62E-54A13C2C678A.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	227684

Document.pdf

Tags
cooper, seaworthy