Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2024, 14:48   #1

Stainless Screw Technical Name?

Does anyone know what you call the stainless steel screws that (in my case) hold my melamine skirts to the railing on my upper back deck of my Bluewater Coastal Cruiser. They are slotted pan head screws with a fine #10 thread but they also have a cutting edge on the business end to help get the screw started into the threaded holes in the railing that the skirts mount to. This edge is not like self drilling screws. The end of the screw is just flattened at the starting end on one edge and may "cut" just a wee bit. I think this prevents the screws from starting "cross threaded" when installing. Wish I could send a photo but don't have a url address to get a photo posted.

This boat is 35 years old and I suppose this is an antique fastener system. The melamine panels are irreplaceable.

Question is, do these special screws have a type name. Thanks
Tcheairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 15:08   #2

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'
Re: Stainless Screw Technical Name?

Tcheairs -

You don't need a URL to post photos. "Click" the "Post Reply" button. Beneath the "Reply to Thread" window you'll see an "Additional Options" window. There, you'll find an "Attach Files" section with a "Manage Attachments" button. "Clicking" on that button opens a "Manage Attachments" floating window with an "Upload Files from your computer" section. That section has several "Choose file" buttons. "Click" on one of those buttons to open a file tree from which you can select a photo saved on your computer. Then, just close out of everything and the photo will appear in your response. "Click" on the "Preview Post" button below the "Reply to Thread" text box to see how your message/comment will look. Easy peasy!

Otherwise - "click" on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the "Quick Reply" window to start the same process.

Don't use the "attach graphic" icon on the message menu bar.
Old 07-03-2024, 15:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Stainless Screw Technical Name?

Sounds like a thread cutting screw.
Attached Images

Tags
cal, crew