Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 16:22   #61

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

In this forum there seems to be an inordinate amount of hostility from non-professional mariners towards professional mariners (those that make their living on the water). We are all human and all make our mistakes. If anyone expects perfection from others then out on the water is probably not the right place to be.
Quite frankly that's the main attraction of this place for me: a small number of active cruisers and working mariners.

If I wanted the opinions of amateur half-wits, armchair admirals and addled lubbers, I'd purchase a full-length mirror.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:39   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Quite frankly that's the main attraction of this place for me: a small number of active cruisers and working mariners.

If I wanted the opinions of amateur half-wits, armchair admirals and addled lubbers, I'd purchase a full-length mirror.
There's certainly more going on than I know, but in general even the "professional" world only means you're (hopefully) good at what it is you specifically do. I never worked on catamarans much so it's been a big learning adjustment for me to adapt to their windage and leeward slide. The first time I got on one I was as crappy docking it as anyone else would be on their first attempt during a cross wind day.

Put me on the Stars and Stripes (the big America's cup boat that does tours here) and I'd probably crash it into a dock. I've really learned to keep my ego in check. The guys I work with (and for) are really experienced delivery captains with a lot of experience doing some insane stuff. Really terrific mariners.

The license gives you access to the job and legally qualifies you for it, everything else is up to you and your abilities. There are plenty of things that although I'm legally allowed to operate I have no place touching. Normally the folks who run those operations are smart enough to know what experience they are looking for, and I try to be as honest as I can about what I can and can't do.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:45   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

so what's wrong with stinky fishermen? Isn't that the best kind?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fly rod.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	37068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark & Friends.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	37069  

Name:	DSC06370.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	37070   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06492.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	37071  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:53   #64

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Okay .... I just, as my grandmother used to say, cannot hold my Irish any longer:

1. What is this thread about? This makes me insane how this happens. A simple comment or question turns into, not a deabte, rather an argument.

If you ask a simple question, you end up getting interrogated about the intent of your question; or someone hangs onto one phrase or word in your post and "bulldogs" it.

2. You make a very kind response to someone and s/he does not have the good manners to reply, but they just further their point no matter how erroneous, as if they have nothing to learn -- because they already know it all.

3. There was nothing sexist in the OP, IMHO. Men like women, women like men, men like men, and women like women. We already know that. I have heard and read sexist and I know it when I see/hear it.

4. Eduation is important, but it does not substitute for experience. License and certification are proof that you knew (or memorized) something for a window of time. Training and experience are vital. I have a son who was USCG and a nephew who is still USAF (Major/F-15 E Pilot) and they will both tell you a little humility goes a long way.

5. Even the commercial crusieline captains have pilots come aboard in the channels and other certain situations, because they are experienced at what they do. However, if we did not require licensing, at a minimum, in some industries we would have disasters like the Concordia on a regular basis. However, IMHO -- the captain of the Concordia was a coward and was completely irresponsible -- these are character flaws, they have little to do with Maritime Education. He should have learned better in third grade.

6. I stand in awe at the work that some of the posters on this thread, and this forum, do. Amazing and courageous.

I'm better now, thank you.
Darby
+1 Well said,
still waiting for someone to talk about how we should only buy 1 boat and keep it for a lifetime due to too many derelict boats sitting around out there. LOL. Sometimes this forum can get a little strange, Thanks RebelHeart and others for livining it up!!!
I havent looked but maybe there needs to be a "Beating My Chest" Thread!!! Get to post and brag about anything you think is over the top Like my wifes first Mahi!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	renee fish 1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	37072  
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:54   #65

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
1) small boats
2) girls

ROck on Rebal Heart

Ignore the haters....I smell jealousy
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:57   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There's certainly more going on than I know, but in general even the "professional" world only means you're (hopefully) good at what it is you specifically do. .
professional means that you approach your task (paid or unpaid) with the highest possible standard, applying all of your knowledge (experience and training) showing commitment and responsibility for your actions, and always seeking to achieve higher standards. At least that is what i was taught as a kid by some one who knew a bit more than average about the sea and seamanship.
Old 06-02-2012, 16:58   #67

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Wow Rebel you got it ALL over me LOL ive a 200 ton +sail, never had a group like that ever !! As you said smelly fisher men a plenty, never any perfumed ladies YET LOL Well at my age the sandwichs sound good !! Gee 55 yrs sailing maybe my time will come !! maybe I better start Prayin LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:59   #68

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Gee, 'Zee'... I thought we were friends! I do agree that learning from some of the 'old masters' was a whole different marine education than the eqivalent to the '90 day wonder' licensing schools that pop out 100 tonners like popcorn. It's the miles that count, the variety of vessels, tow and sail endorsements along with experience in all kinds of weather, sea and offshore conditions. Wouldn't trade my 'school of hard knocks' training on the northwest coast for anything... are you still in Maz by the way?... cheers, Capt Phil
Wonder schools, may pop them out, but you still have to have sea hours to get the license. "book learning", may not be the end all for a hands on activity like sailing, but it a start, and a solid foundation to build your experience, and required to take on a paying position.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:05   #69

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple
Okay .... I just, as my grandmother used to say, cannot hold my Irish any longer:

1. What is this thread about? This makes me insane how this happens. A simple comment or question turns into, not a deabte, rather an argument.

If you ask a simple question, you end up getting interrogated about the intent of your question; or someone hangs onto one phrase or word in your post and "bulldogs" it.

2. You make a very kind response to someone and s/he does not have the good manners to reply, but they just further their point no matter how erroneous, as if they have nothing to learn -- because they already know it all.

3. There was nothing sexist in the OP, IMHO. Men like women, women like men, men like men, and women like women. We already know that. I have heard and read sexist and I know it when I see/hear it.

4. Eduation is important, but it does not substitute for experience. License and certification are proof that you knew (or memorized) something for a window of time. Training and experience are vital. I have a son who was USCG and a nephew who is still USAF (Major/F-15 E Pilot) and they will both tell you a little humility goes a long way.

5. Even the commercial crusieline captains have pilots come aboard in the channels and other certain situations, because they are experienced at what they do. However, if we did not require licensing, at a minimum, in some industries we would have disasters like the Concordia on a regular basis. However, IMHO -- the captain of the Concordia was a coward and was completely irresponsible -- these are character flaws, they have little to do with Maritime Education. He should have learned better in third grade.

6. I stand in awe at the work that some of the posters on this thread, and this forum, do. Amazing and courageous.

Darby

Really picking a fight as a new bee this might be fun to watch. Zeehag has alot of respect on this board but probably better things to do. I didn't hear anyone put down rebel heart or his profession. Don't be so sensitive it just starts fights.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:41   #70

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
Really picking a fight as a new bee this might be fun to watch. Zeehag has alot of respect on this board but probably better things to do. I didn't hear anyone put down rebel heart or his profession. Don't be so sensitive it just starts fights.
Then as Zeehag said .... you must not have read the entire thread. She put his profession down from the beginning and that is what took this thread off on this tangent. But, that kind of behavior and your comments in this post are typical for the internet because you don't have to look the person in the eye after making such comments (as above).

Apparently, you did not read #10 .... I thought I had very nice and respectful things to say to Zeehag and I recognized the respect she has on this board.

I, however, am a 50 year old, professional female, who gladly paid my $15.01 to be here just like anyone else. I am not "so sensitive," I simply believe in holding people accountable for their actions.

Finally, when I want your advice on my sensitivites -- I know where to find you and I will be sure to come calling. And "new bee" is a demeaning term and I got the full meaning of the insult as you intended -- with no impact at all, as I am not that sensitive.

Speaking of better things to do.

Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:47   #71

Take it to PM people.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:47   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

Quote:

Its about someone having a laugh....
Thats CF for ya...

Maybe they don't have time.... they're sailing the next day... or the other side of the world in a different time zone

I like sheep.... but then I'm Welsh....and on my next job I'm headed for Oz.....

I was expelled at 14.5yrs.... so I'm dead thick.....

Its called 'Local Knowledge'... and I always assumed a person innocent until proved guilty...

So do I.....

Darby
A good vent often helps....
I don't work so you can relax... awe not required....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:53   #73

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A good vent often helps....
I don't work so you can relax... awe not required....

Boatman .....

"Dinghy ashore and grab a Costello/salada con batata fritas and a few Superbocks, listen to some live music then head back to the boat." Boatman61

Is looking really GREAT right now!

Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:07   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: the advantages of being a 100 ton captain

Quote:
Boatman .....

"Dinghy ashore and grab a Costello/salada con batata fritas and a few Superbocks, listen to some live music then head back to the boat." Boatman61

Is looking really GREAT right now!

Darby
So's Zee.... set fair for points South.... should hear from her in a coupla days....
PS; I'm the different time zone... its 2am... my official warnings hour.... ahahaaaaaHHAAAAAAAAA

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:17   #75

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

As Rebel's wife I would like to add that he is not sexist, nor do I feel offended by his very first posting or the picture.

Threads like this are exactly why I avoid posting on CF. Seriously? Dude posts a photo from his awesome day sail and then five pages of this?

Would it have been better if the picture was of a plate of cheese and a nice bottle of wine?

Props to everyone who has maintained that this thread is ridiculous.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain