Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2019, 23:51   #16

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader
Re: product available for eye roll prevention

Ha ha, I fell for the same and got reading.
However I disagree with water etc ... it has everything to do with sailing or boating if you prefer. It has to do with the human aspect of it and to do with those who participate in this lifestyle.
Brook ... there is no need for any proprietary product, unless you want to use the readily abundant and omnipresent wet blankets and party poopers.
Keep rolling your eyes, it adds value to your day and you can always add a bit more fun by playing dumb or pretend you appreciate the silly advice you get dished.

Is this ladder secure?
Oh my gosh! get down from there this instant, it can fall at any minute !!!!
And watch him scramble down in a heap
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 19:23   #17

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

True fact: Eye rolling is good for ocular health. Maybe an eyeroll delay product is better for relationship health.

Dumbest questions from skippered charter customers:

Is it safe?
What do I do if we sink? (after the safety briefing)
We forgot our bikini's ... is it OK if we swim naked?
We'll go between the lighthouse and the land, right? ... I'm nervous that we'll sink while too far from land).

And the most common: "Have you been sailing before?" Sometimes after untieing, coiling the lines, leaving the marina and getting the sails up. (I'd say I'm glad you asked, hand them a "teaching beginners to sail" book, tell them it was my first time, that I was as nervous as crap, and ask them to read it aloud, so to help ... eye roll).

True .. all these think have been said.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 21:06   #18

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.
Jim Carrey
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 09:04   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Humility. Its free, easy to carry and makes anyone a more lovable person.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:54   #20

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Does this post have anything at all to do about sailing, cruising, boating or watersports at all? Moderator, please close it. The title suggests it would be a serious question about a medical issue that occurs while on the ocean waves.
Waterman46, don't be such a wet blanket, it's a bit of light humour after all, and we need as much of that as we can get in this crazy f**ked up world!
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:27   #21

Quote:
Does this post have anything at all to do about sailing, cruising, boating or watersports at all? Moderator, please close it. The title suggests it would be a serious question about a medical issue that occurs while on the ocean waves.
Waterman46,

Are you serious? Can you see me rolling my eyes? What is the problem? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? I have seen plenty of threads less related to sailing, etc that this on. There is even a "New Joke Thread".

How long did it take to determine you were not interested or to determine you thought the thread was inappropriate? 2 seconds? Why spend the minute to post a reply? Or think it about any further.

My approach when encountering what the OP described is treat it as part of "Life's Rich Pageant" and enjoy it with a interested but quizzical smile. Maybe the other party will get the message as a result of my interested but quizzical smile.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 08:16   #22

Boat: porta bote

Quote:

Thanks for the eye roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
True fact: Eye rolling is good for ocular health.

Helped instantly
Martin

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 08:53   #23

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
She's short and still looks young. But it will probably never change.
Vertically challenged!!!!!!
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 08:56   #24

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

There is a product that sailors have traditionally carried aboard for just this sort of situation. It is called rum, and is widely available.

Warning: There may be a correlation (more research is underweigh) between application of the above remedy and situations that promote "eye roll".
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:08   #25

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
There is a product that sailors have traditionally carried aboard for just this sort of situation. It is called rum, and is widely available.

Warning: There may be a correlation (more research is underweigh) between application of the above remedy and situations that promote "eye roll".
It's funny you mention this. I am going to apply for a government grant to study this. Back in the thirties, forties, and even into the eighties, the three martini lunch was de rigueur. America was also the economic powerhouse of the world. Today, we frown upon drinking while at work, and some will say that we Americans have lost our way.

I want to study if the three martini lunch will make us great again. Some questions to be answered include:
Does it have to be a martini?
Will run be an equally effective substitute?
What happens if it is only two drinks?
What happens if it is four?

There is a lot of studying to be done and I think that three or four million dollars U.S. and I should have a good start. Follow on studies include the exact ratio of rum to martinis, brands of rum, beer, and other such important details!

Who would like to help with this important study? Remember, it's all about the science!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:52   #26

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Citizen Science is the current best practice. A thousand (or more) dedicated amateurs are in a unique position to provide data.

Rather than grant funding, I suggest a sponsor: Perhaps there is a socially conscious producer who could provide product, and a few grad student/liveaboards who could analyze the data. (Yikes! this is actually possible, as a PR project)
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 10:03   #27

Quote:

Yes rum is a temporary solution for any problem among other similar remedies.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 10:25   #28

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
It's funny you mention this. I am going to apply for a government grant to study this.
Wouldn't surprise me if you were awarded it.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 10:28   #29

Quote:
Citizen Science is the current best practice. A thousand (or more) dedicated amateurs are in a unique position to provide data.

Rather than grant funding, I suggest a sponsor: Perhaps there is a socially conscious producer who could provide product, and a few grad student/liveaboards who could analyze the data. (Yikes! this is actually possible, as a PR project)

Why suffer from the tyranny of OR, when with me you can have the genius of AND! Let's get a sponsor AND grant money.

A follow on study will be this: Does cruising cruising on $10,000 per month reduce stress? We'll have one group cruise with the three drink lunch and the control group will not have the three drink lunch. I just don't want to be in the control group! I am not going to say which group I think will have less stress. I will let the science determine the results, but again, it is all about the science, and there's a lot of science here!
Old 29-04-2019, 10:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if you were awarded it.
I'll drink to that!