Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2020, 18:46   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Post your story of sails saving the day

Long ago, in San Diego, we were motoring, and the engine overheated. Boat was mostly a headsail driven IOR design, but I could sail her with just the main. Up main. Sail slowly around. Followed by a lot of fussing below. Eventually Jim came out, and reported that he'd used the dinghy air pump to blow out the engine water intake, so we were able to start the engine to go dock the boat. It had apparently sucked something up (MAYBE a plastic bag), but the air pressure worked to clear the line.

But I think the best sail saved the day story is when we were caught in Denham Bay, at Raoul Is., and the eye of cyclone Lisa came right over. The safe anchorage became a lee shore, and the engine was not powerful enough alone to claw our way out. We put up the storm jib, and motor-sailed out of the bay to where we could heave to, and let the strong winds move off to the SE. I guess it may not "count" because we used the engine, too, but, it saved us. Cyclone was supposed to go over Tonga, not us. Oh, well. That's cyclone forecasting for you.

Ann
Old 07-11-2020, 20:02   #47

Went out in a tandem kayak with a lovely companion to do a little fishing along the rocky shoreline. A few miles and a couple of fish later, the onshore wind started really kicking in, and we could not traverse the shoreline under paddle power without getting pushed up on the sharp rocks.
So I convinced said lovely to raise her shirt above her head at an angle to “sail” the boat as I steered from the stern. This actually worked rather well, especially after I convinced her that turning to face me would be easier on her arms!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 20:09   #48

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
Went out in a tandem kayak with a lovely companion to do a little fishing along the rocky shoreline. A few miles and a couple of fish later, the onshore wind started really kicking in, and we could not traverse the shoreline under paddle power without getting pushed up on the sharp rocks.
So I convinced said lovely to raise her shirt above her head at an angle to “sail” the boat as I steered from the stern. This actually worked rather well, especially after I convinced her that turning to face me would be easier on her arms!
Damn, you got your lovely lady turn towards you AND you got her shirt off Wind says “you’re welcome”
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 21:12   #49

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I really don’t have a story about “saving” the boat by using the sails. I mean we’re always using the sails so if we ever got out of any tough spots, it was by the sails. A more meaningful question would be if we ever saved ourselves by using the motor? But no, not that one either.

However a couple of years ago, before the start of a race when it was totally calm and we needed to motor to the starting area our propeller dropped off. Completely. No forward motion when in forward gear. After confirming that the transmission was properly turning the prop shaft I dove over the side and it took only a glance to see…No propeller!

But the wind filled in and we were able to make the start and we sailed the race.

Afterwards the committee boat, who was by then aware of our dilemma, asked if we needed some help.

“No, thank you, I think we’re OK” I answered.

Sailing into the slip was not much of a problem since we usually sail at least into the fairway before dropping the main and starting the engine. On that night we sailed into the finger piers, dropped the main about 4 slips away from ours, and sculled the boat into the slip, saving the day.
Old 07-11-2020, 23:04   #50

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Went through a channel at low tide which was going to be close - kissed the bottom once - put some sail up and heeled over and out of it.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 10:26   #51

Boat: Hullmaster 31 (Aka Douglas 31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
My first sailboat was a POS Hobie wannabe. But it got me on the water. Unfortunately, the Columbia River, on one of it's last free-flowing stretches. Had a nice down-river sail for a few miles. Came about to head upriver, when the clew ripped out of the jib, and I had no way to repair.

I could just make way upriver on the main alone, but could not tack, so gybed at each bank, losing nearly all I had gained. some hours later, made it back to my launch point and trailer.

Really should have beached it and walked back. But ... I was a "sailor" ...

Old post but reading this reminded me of something I read - if this ever happens to you, put a tennis ball, golf ball or really anything into the sail near the torn out clew and pull the sail nice and tight. Then re-tie your sheet around the ball and you're back in business.

Could probably just crumple up the sail and it'd be good enough to get back.
paradoxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 15:22   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxbox View Post
Old post but reading this reminded me of something I read - if this ever happens to you, put a tennis ball, golf ball or really anything into the sail near the torn out clew and pull the sail nice and tight. Then re-tie your sheet around the ball and you're back in business.

Could probably just crumple up the sail and it'd be good enough to get back.
Yes, a place to use a constrictor knot. Knot knowledge can save the day.

Ann

Tags
sail, sails