Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 10:48   #16

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
enjoy sailing whenever and wherever you can, don't be a slave to working on the boat and enjoy each day as best you can - you never know how many you have got left.
Hault the tagline vote we've got a new winner!
Amen and thanks for the perspective.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 15:02   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
Hault the tagline vote we've got a new winner!
Amen and thanks for the perspective.
Yes, a heartfelt thanks to Randy/Benny for that one too. He got right to the bottom of it. No matter how rough a hand of cards boats deal you, it's usually better than not having one at all.

Thanks.

On our end, we have talked endlessly about this situation over the past week or so while pouring through boats for sale. We came up with the big zilch in our price range that can go cruising anyway. So... like many who have had to cut their dreams short, we also have to. We will just live aboard in the USA since we can't afford to go anywhere else. Maybe someday... maybe someday...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 18:43   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 447
I bought a "mint" Nor'sea last summer... ready to cruise. I sailed it up from MD to LI... great boat, everything worked perfect. Now, 8 months later after living abaoard, the list is endless... such is the nature.

Money, cruising, working, sailing... i have a loan... while its better then paying rent... its so frustrating to not be able to truly "go". Ssullivan, I feel your pain. BTW, when you comin out this way?

And unbusted -- I was planning to move to MV this summer. Was going to live on teh hook outside the breakwater there in VH. Would be looking for work in web design, sailing, boat maintenance... whatever I can do. Where is your boat?
benjiwoodboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 00:26   #19

Boat's in Boston. I grew up on the Vineyard but didn't sail a day until I moved to the city. Weird. Living on the hook in VH harbour could be cool until you realize the ferry goes by every 45 minutes and kicks up a mean wake. I'd be curious to hear about your experience, if you decide to go. Might even be able to hook you up with some business. PM me if you decide to go.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:51   #20
cruiser

I'll be out your way within 2 weeks, Ben. Pretty psyched to be leaving Jersey. I'll let you know when I arrive.

Also, Unbusted - Sitting outside will annoy you when the ferry goes by, but also it will be sheer hell if you get a wind coming at you from the open water. What is your plan for that situation? Is there anywhere you plan to hide on those occasions?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:44   #21

All boats are projects. It’s just a matter of degree. And, the only difference between a project boat and a ready-to-sail boat is that the ready-to-sail-boat needs less work. They both need more than you think when you write the check, but you’ll probably be sailing the ready-to-sail boat a lot sooner. Also, there is a big difference between getting a boat ready to ‘sail’ and getting a boat ready for cruising. It’s all about comfort level and for cruising, comfort level is everything.

Unfortunately, ssullivan’s story is not uncommon. I have heard many variations. Usually, from people who found a way to make the dream come true after a setback. Often, these folks had years of sailing experience and had owned, loved, repaired several boats before they decided to go cruising. All of a sudden the rigging, sails, electrical system, engine, etc. that were just fine for sailing out of the yacht club become ...... well, maybe they ought to replaced/upgraded. Plus, you wind up buying spares that you don’t need yet: alternator, smart charger, water pump, filters, lines, wires, etc. because when you’re island hopping the Bahamas/Caribbean you probably will need them. All of this is smart, but the trick (and it’s real easy to say, but hard to do) is to find a comfort level you can live with and go anyway. Some very wise cruisers once said: Go simple, go slow, and go now.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:15   #22
cruiser

This thread has been quite a source of inspiration. Thanks.

We may never get to go cruising, but I am attempting to find beauty and adventure within the United States and if we're lucky... the Caribbean.

I'm trying to say to myself, "Just because I can't do a circumnavigation (financially) doesn't mean I'm any less of a cruiser." I'll have to deal with that and hope that someday we can at least get back to the Caribbean.

Hey, maybe after all the years of working and cruising we'll be able to do Europe.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:26   #23

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
This thread has been quite a source of inspiration. Thanks.

We may never get to go cruising, but I am attempting to find beauty and adventure within the United States and if we're lucky... the Caribbean.

I'm trying to say to myself, "Just because I can't do a circumnavigation (financially) doesn't mean I'm any less of a cruiser." I'll have to deal with that and hope that someday we can at least get back to the Caribbean.

Hey, maybe after all the years of working and cruising we'll be able to do Europe.
Heck, someone once told me cruising was as much "a state of mind" as "a way of life!"

Mark
Old 11-04-2007, 11:00   #24

Didn't mean to sound like the wise old man - well, the 'old' part is true. But, you could do a lot worse than island hopping through the Bahamas/Caribbean. It's paradise; you can do it for years and still see different places; it counts as 'real' cruising; and you do not need a bomb-proof bluewater boat to do it.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Also, Unbusted - Sitting outside will annoy you when the ferry goes by, but also it will be sheer hell if you get a wind coming at you from the open water. What is your plan for that situation? Is there anywhere you plan to hide on those occasions?
Oh I dunno, I am not planning on anchoring there (as I said I am in Boston) but a lot of people do it every summer and don't seem to have a problem. That big-ass-friggin-granite-breakwater could be one hell of an unpleasant leeshore though. There is a lagoon with a draw bridge behind the harbour. It seems pretty shallow though. Dunno. I'm sure there are a few people on this forum that have tried it.

Keep up the good work and never give up. You can make it happen. Just don't forget that everyone who has ever circumnavigated - everyone - has felt at one time or another the way you feel right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion
Go simple, go slow, and go now.
Yet another great tagline someone call an admin!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:42   #26

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion
Go simple, go slow, and go now.

Good idea - excuse me - I have to take a leak
Old 11-04-2007, 13:39   #27

Go simple, go slow, and go now

Yeah, I stole it - but I admitted it.

First of all, cruising the Bahamas/Caribbean counts - it's "real" cruising.

Second, for some words of wisdom from people who know what they're talking about, go here:

BoatUS.com Cruising Log