Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 16:35   #241

Boat: too many
Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Thank you. In actual fact it does help me to be thinking about this. It has helped me to clarify my thoughts, and to dispute some of the theories about the flight path which have arisen, simply because they don't fit in with what I saw. And because I no longer doubt my sanity, I am sure of what I saw, and of the thoughts that accompanied them. So thank you for that.

I am also grateful that the majority of reporters have backed off, and are leaving me to it.

I wasn't so happy with the CNN guy who came into the workshop today, shouted at me "What's your name? Yes, you're Katherine, I wanna speak to you. I said "no comment" he said "but I'm from CNN and we wanna lead with you on the TV tomorrow". I said "I'm happy to answer your questions, just write them on the forum". He said, looking really confused, "What forum? How do I do that?" I said "No comment", and thought 'Is this guy stupid or what, and he's supposed to be a reporter?' And then literally had to duck under his arm to get to the loo. What a bloody idiot.
I'm sorry Kate I gave CNN a tip on your sighting back on May 31. They sat on it for 6 days. The only reason I did is they had devoted so much coverage over the last two months and I wanted them to have a leg up on other media. The tip included a link here, so the stringer has no excuse for not knowing about the forum. I don't think I'll ever bother to tip them on anything in the future.
deckofficer is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 16:58   #242

Boat: Sabre 426
Seriously CNN??
dp1404 is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 17:02   #243

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I wasn't so happy with the CNN guy who came into the workshop today, shouted at me "What's your name? Yes, you're Katherine, I wanna speak to you. I said "no comment" he said "but I'm from CNN and we wanna lead with you on the TV tomorrow". I said "I'm happy to answer your questions, just write them on the forum". He said, looking really confused, "What forum? How do I do that?" I said "No comment", and thought 'Is this guy stupid or what, and he's supposed to be a reporter?' And then literally had to duck under his arm to get to the loo. What a bloody idiot.
Oh, oh, oh, why couldn't I see his face ?!?!?
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 17:06   #244

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1404 View Post
Seriously CNN??
I know, I'm bad, but ever since they had the only reporters on the ground for the 1st Gulf war in 1990, I've watched. I think things have changed since Ted Turner sold it.

My new choice for in depth reporting is HBO's Vice, but no breaking news there.
deckofficer is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 20:02   #245

Hi, I have some questions about the weather. You mentioned that the sky was "patchy" with some clouds, and that the glowing aircraft was below these clouds.

Can you please describe these clouds in more detail? E.g. low cumulus humilis (google for some images), or something else? This can help establish the height of the plane.

Also you mention some mountainous weather. Is this related, or much earlier in the voyage?
Yasuhiro is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 20:41   #246
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I know, I'm bad, but ever since they had the only reporters on the ground for the 1st Gulf war in 1990, I've watched. I think things have changed since Ted Turner sold it.

My new choice for in depth reporting is HBO's Vice, but no breaking news there.
Al Jaziera is much better...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 20:47   #247
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The guy who said he was from CNN is back. His name is Mark but the CNN lady who is with him now, this minute, doesn't know his last name. Her name is Kocha Olain. She is here to request an interview on camera, even though she knows I only answer questions on the forum. She needs to do her duty and ask me in person if I would consider doing an interview with her.

Marc has offered to do a live 3 minute interview, with nothing edited. If they guarantees a live interview, my husband will accept.

She wants to say the reason she has come is she has been to many families who are not sophisticated, with much info from locals and Malaysian fisherman who believe the aircraft headed into the Indian Ocean. She thinks the Inmarsat info has convinced the authorites that the plane is near Perth, She thinks the families believe there is some missing information. She believes the scientists are too confident in their technology. That makes them ignore some other information.

She apologised for CNN Mark's behaviour yesterday. She would still like an interview on camera, since it looks boring without.

Husband Marc is telling her the qualtiy of investigative journalism is like toilet paper, and the freedom of speech is non existant. Somebody needs to check and balance this.

She feels that she needs to keep hammering on that there is information here. A personal interview will be one strike of the hammer. Some family members feel they are being taken advantage of due to financial things involved, and they are the last ones who can say anything. They feel they are being regarded as difficult. Transport Minister HishamMuddhin Hussein says the hardest part to deal with is human factor.

I am going to consider this.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 20:51   #248
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a flight path I created from what I saw, which I superimposed, in green, over a projected flight path from an anonymous source, according to last known radar positions and Inmarsat's first alleged ping. Clearly what I believe I saw can only be correct if the Inmarsat timings are out, since my believed track is from the perspective of the boat at that time. It would only fit if my sighting was around an hour later.

11.41: Edited to add in clarification of which is my track, and source of data for projection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH370 radar and Inmarsat zoom - Copy.png
Views:	439
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	82567  
Old 05-06-2014, 21:02   #249
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think I am now able to further clarify my observations of the plane's track. When I was watching it, I was sitting on the starboard side behind the helm, with my legs crossed, facing to port - much as I was in the photo some of the papers have picked up from Facebook. I think that when I first spotted it, it was probably between 8 o'clock and half past 8 relative to boat. At that stage it was just an orange speck. I think when I first thought it looked like a plane it was when it had moved towards 7 o'clock. This is when I spotted the smoke thought it could be a plane on fire, but dismissed the thought because such things never happen.... I watched it until it was almost at half past six relative to boat.
I know at this stage I must have gone below, probably to use the heads and grab a snack. When I came back out of the companionway, it was at about 5 o'clock relative to boat. I watched it for a while, and had the impression it was moving away from us. At this stage I had decided it was probably a military plane, and for some reason at this stage I thought it was the size of a cargo plane. The closest I could identify the glow as wa was sodium lights for some reason (it put me in mind of some tankers I have seen at anchor), and remember wondering at this stage whether they had too much oil in the mix, or too little (I can never remember which makes smoke turn black, and that's on boats anyway!!!); but that either way they should get the exhaust checked (it's strange how he mind rationalises these things). I also reassured myself that it was OK, since it appeared too have changed course.

In fairness, this is stuff I have just clarified in my head tonight, and after seeing the attached theoretical tracks on the chart. It hadn't occurred to me before that the plane would be able to change course, which was why I was unsure about the last part of the track. I have copied the chart and added in what I believe is the approximate line, in green, that I believe the aircraft was following, relative to the boat. I have no idea of the actual directions. But I am positive we were on the port tack.
This is part of an emailI sent to ATSB in the early hours of this morning. They have acknowledged receipt.
Old 05-06-2014, 21:36   #250
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, so I just read Post #249 aloud to the nice lady's mobile phone, and gave her permission to use it, providing she uses full sentences, and tells listeners they can read the entire post on Cruisers' Forum (so they can verify what I actually said, and in context).
Old 05-06-2014, 21:48   #251
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

After it bore away, I did also wonder if the was getting lower, but decided it couldn't be since there was nowhere for it to land. Of course, my sighting does not fit this projection, although it might be close if we were on the port tack. Is it possible that this could have occurred a little later than currently thought, ie after 1915 UST+0? Just let me know if this is feasible or not.
Old 05-06-2014, 22:12   #252
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasuhiro View Post
Hi, I have some questions about the weather. You mentioned that the sky was "patchy" with some clouds, and that the glowing aircraft was below these clouds.

Can you please describe these clouds in more detail? E.g. low cumulus humilis (google for some images), or something else? This can help establish the height of the plane.

Also you mention some mountainous weather. Is this related, or much earlier in the voyage?
There weren't many clouds, and meteorology is not my strong point. There were clouds behind it as it approached, that's all I remember about them. Not many of them. I know the skies were clear behind our boat, since that was where I saw the two higher planes. I have deliberately not checked this, as I don't want to influence my memory!

The mountainous seas were once we passed the channel between India and Sri Lanka. They were about ten foot back there. It calmed down a little by mid ocean, when we started drying out, but it was still choppy, and we were still uncomfortable.

By the time we got to here, the wind had become light. If there were waves at that time they were nothing worth remembering, so they were only small. We infer from our track that we had the engine on from 0200ish (when we tacked, to be precise) until around 0600ish when we bore away.
Old 05-06-2014, 22:25   #253

Thanks for the answer.

Here is a weather satellite image of the region at the time:

Can you identify the clouds that you saw? It seems to show a clear sky but perhaps I am misinterpreting your position.
Yasuhiro is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 22:50   #254
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are no clouds that I can see there at that time.
Old 05-06-2014, 22:53   #255
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What about for an hour later?
Closed Thread