Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-07-2018, 02:26   #1

How I lost my boat!

I have been dreaming to own a sail boat since I was 14. I grew up in Cyprus and I was not a good student. As most lazy students did, who went to atari play clubs instead of going to the class, I went to the old harbour to watch the docking and mooring sailing yachts coming from the far countries while I was enjoying my beer without the knowledge of my family (back in 1983 there was no age limit for alcohol).
And of course, I couldn't pass the exams but spoiled all my summers not going to the beach but studying for the make-up exams.

Anyway, sometimes feeling very far to own a sailing boat, sometimes feeling close, 29 years passed and a chance to own a sailing boat had appeared. I could have efforded a 86 Jeanneau Sun Legende 41 quite in a bad condition with missing rigging, pullies, winches, only with spare anchor, no batteries, no navigation equipment except for an auto-pilot, perkins prima with all leakage of oil, fuel, water, very poor condition 20 year old sails with many patches on etc etc.. But I was very happy because she was the best boat in the world for me and I had owned her.

I had completed the very essential things like the complete overhauled engine, batteries etc and started to sail only with the genoa in the bay. And as I have completed gradually the other missing parts like rigging, anchor and winches my boat was almost ready to sail and I was probably the happiest guy in the world.

But the troublesome days were not so far. The business that I am in started to fail due to the current political situation in my country.

Selling the boat as the first option in an economical crisis, became my last option and to be able to maintain my boat, insisting not to sell her even though it was too late, I have advertised in some of the cruise booking sites to skippered charter.

Then in my first job, I got caught with my pants down when the guests were boarding. Then I found myself facing up to very heavy penalties. Then what happened? of course I priced to be able sell her under her value and she has gone soon then I started again to dream another 29 years to own a sailing yacht.

Sometimes the people may do wrong things and I am one of them who did wrong only once in a lifetime and it costed me a 29 years of dream.

All the best and far winds
Kemal
ykemal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lost