Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 07:22   #1

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch
Folding prop/ generating electricity?

Can you have the best of both “worlds”? I was just thinking about how you could benefit from a folding prop to reduce drag but also generate electricity? Seems to me it’s one or the other?
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 07:24   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Folding prop/ generating electricity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorgan562 View Post
Can you have the best of both “worlds”? I was just thinking about how you could benefit from a folding prop to reduce drag but also generate electricity? Seems to me it’s one or the other?

Folding prop no, a feathering prop feathered in reverse will work.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 07:28   #3

Argh.!! Thank you. ⛵️
Old 14-12-2020, 07:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How do you get a feathering prop to feather in reverse?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 07:40   #5

I don’t know? Isn’t it possible?
Old 14-12-2020, 07:51   #6

If you could lock it in reverse how could it spin to generate?
Old 14-12-2020, 07:58   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Can not do both. If it is feathering it isn't generating power and if it is generating power it by definition is taking power from your follow progress. A generating prop you drag isn't “free” power like solar, it is taking it from your boat speed.
Old 14-12-2020, 08:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Can not do both. If it is feathering it isn't generating power and if it is generating power it by definition is taking power from your follow progress. A generating prop you drag isn't “free” power like solar, it is taking it from your boat speed.
So.then do think Generating from a free spinning prop is totally counter productive? Or is it just a function of the components and individual situation. ?
Old 14-12-2020, 08:25   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
If you could lock it in reverse how could it spin to generate?

You put the engine in reverse and switch it off then engage neutral. The forward momentum of the boat will keep it open (un-feathered). I had an arrangement like this the shafts were belt driven from the engines. It did work but the wear on the gearboxes would have been high, requiring some form of clutch. A 2 bladed 12 inch prop was capable of producing about 4 hp at 8 knots, at the cost of 1-2knots of boat speed, a lot of drag and complexity.

A towed generator would be more practical. Unless you are looking at electric motor. IMO still not worth the drag penalty.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 08:27   #10

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Yes, you can do both with Max prop (classic range). If you run the engine in reverse, then kill the engine (leaving the gearbox in that 'astern' position), when engine has stopped gearbox can be put in neutral. Then the propshaft will turn when you are sailing, and thus can drive an alternator on the propshaft.

If you do not want to drive the alternator, then turn the engine off while the gearbox in 'forward' gear and the blades will feather and the shaft will not turn when you are sailing. When the engine is stopped one can leave the gearbox in forward or neutral, does not really matter as the propshaft is not turning. However I prefer it in neutral just in case I forget when I start the engine next time.

Best of both worlds, but..... not at the same time

Edit: I see that post above wrote something similar, however I think that one can not get 4 HP from such small prop, 4 HP approximates 3 KW and at 12 Volt that is approx 250 Amps (without losses). Hmm not even close to that magnitude, maybe 5 to 10 Amps? and the boat speed loss is less barely measurable, maybe 0.5 knot? I guess all the figures depend on: speed of boat, size and pitch of prop, type of alternator, and the pulleys on shaft and alternator (giving the alternator sufficient RPM).
Old 14-12-2020, 08:49   #11
DIJ

Boat: Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Yes, you can do both with Max prop (classic range). If you run the engine in reverse, then kill the engine (leaving the gearbox in that 'astern' position), when engine has stopped gearbox can be put in neutral. Then the propshaft will turn when you are sailing, and thus can drive an alternator on the propshaft.

And presumably lifting the valves to deal with the engine compression to help the engine rotation?

But with the other ways of generating electricity this does seem bottom of the pile.
DIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Yes, you can do both with Max prop (classic range).
Thanks! I am interested in this subject too. I'll look into details later.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:16   #13

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIJ View Post
And presumably lifting the valves to deal with the engine compression to help the engine rotation?

But with the other ways of generating electricity this does seem bottom of the pile.
Not sure if the reference to a valve lifter on the engine is an expression of sarcasm or not understanding what I (possibly poorly) wrote.

When you have a Max feathering prop, and you want a alternator on the propshaft to charge the batteries whilst sailing, then
1. start the engine (with engine in neutral)
2. put gear briefly in reverse (ie 2-4 seconds)
3. when gear is still astern, stop engine
4. put gear in neutral
5. blades are locked in and propshaft will keep turning whilst sailing
6. when an alternator is mounted on propshaft than it will start generating amps (on my boat at approx 4 knots)
7. I can not see a speed reduction on my boat, generating 2 to 10 amps
8. Yes the generation of electricity has to come from somewhere: ie with 5 amps at 1 volts is about 60 watts, less 0.1 of a HP.

Have a look at this how much HP a sail can generate:
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/h...e-3#post292129
A bit extrapolation: 1 sq ft of sail generates 0.1 HP at 30 knots of wind (yes many variables here).

So, speed reduction is minimal.

If propshaft alternators are the bottom of the pile compared with other ways of producing electricity...... could well be true; definitely not as simple as solar. But it might work for some people, and that was the question of the original poster: if it was possible to have bot a feathering/folding prop and penetrating electricity.
Old 14-12-2020, 09:17   #14

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Quote:
Hydro generators are the only way to go.
https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/kno...dro-generators
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:39   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIJ View Post

You do not leave the engine in gear. Yon need a transmission that can freewheel without damage - some cannot due to lack of lubrication.

Procedure is: put transmission in reverse with engine running. Stop engine, go to neutral. Prop will stay in reverse and spin. You need a pulley on the prop shaft to turn a separate generator. You may need a lay shaft and a second belt to get the prop speed up to the speed needed to produce power. Many people/companies used permanent magnet DC motors as generators. Computer tape drive motors were commonly used.

I used a drag prop generator for many years on passage. In trade wind sailing I could not see any speed reduction. Got about one amp for every knot, above 6 knots. There is a minimum speed that the generator needs to turn to get up to charging voltage output. That is generator design dependent.

Had a friend that had an alternator driven by a lay shaft off his propulsion prop - a big three blade prop and always had a lot of power to spare. This needs a lot of clearance around the prop shaft for the pulley. Many boats don't have that clearance.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric