Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 13:15   #1

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
Never Ever pull into La Salina, MX

I broke my own rule of entering a harbor at half tide rising. I wen in at high tide and bumped once but got in. It would take 18 months to get back out. La Salina is halfway between TJ and Ensenada, MX There are no police services with in 30 miles. It looked great on the internet, my friends checked it out for me and we wanted to be near them. Well El Nino came in and burried the entry to the port. The dockmaster said no worries we have 2 dredgers. he was the same guy that lied about the water depth.

Six months later still no dredging then the dockmaster gets killed (you are fired), gunned down on the road. The new dockmaster lasted about 9 months and they shot him too, not dead just wounded. Then the bad guys moved in and started collecting protection money. We got a group together to dredge ourselves but the bad guys ran off the first dredging crew. The next crew came and we just made arrangements ahead of time so they wouldn't get ran off. After all dredging is good for everybody.

About a week into the dredging work about 200 police, FBI, Marines etc show up and run the bad guys out. The marine captain gave us permission to keep dredging and his phone number in case more bad guys show up.

We took out 140 dump truck loads of sand, working at low tide only. We got out July 3 and celebrated Independence Day in Ensenada at our new marina.

I am happy to be here as laying in the bottom of your boat listening to bullets whiz overhead is not much fun. So NEVER EVER ENTER a new harbor, cove, port, anchorage at high tide if there is any doubt about water depth, always go in at half tide rising.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 15:32   #2

Boat: Tasman 40' catamaran
Re: Never Ever pull into La Salina, MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Headlee View Post
So NEVER EVER ENTER a new harbor, cove, port, anchorage at high tide if there is any doubt about water depth, always go in at half tide rising.
sound advice (and an interesting story...)

cheers,