Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 06:50   #136

Boat: Past: H25, P26, C&C27; Future: The Black Pearl
Send a message via Skype™ to rlaribee
Re: Don't quit yet, but here some advice...

I grew up boating; it was the family business. I've owned and sold various sloops over the years. For years I've been carefully maneuvering my retirement planning around my intention for liveaboard cruising. (I agree with Reese Palley that there's no advantage in dying on land than dying at sea.) My family's claim that nobody loves sailing more than I and that sailing is all I think about is grossly exaggerated.

I say all of that before saying that I love Corpus' original post here, and commend it to others. I've come back and read this again and again. It helps keep me grounded as I move forward in my planning. There's coming that longed-for day when I cast off lines for my longest voyage ever, but until that day, while planning and dreaming, it's good to be grounded.

Thanks for that post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
Are you planning on taking some time off, maybe a year, maybe fovever, sail down the carribean and if things go well, cross the Panama canal and just keep going? Ya so was I, here's what I've learned.

-Get as big of boat as you can handle, maybe even a little bigger. Yes people have crossed oceans in canoes, but there is a reason most people take a cruise ship, or a plane. A bigger boat will bounce less, go faster, and has more storage room. Try living in just your bathroom for a week, or just an hour and see if you still think that Catalina 27' is fine.

-The ocean is never flat, and the wind will always be against you. It was for me and it probably will be for you. Even if you don't get seasick, pounding into waves crawling your way up-wind just isn't very fun (the smaller the boat the worse it will be).

-Invest in a good dinghy, with a good motor. Rowing to shore in a kayak against the wind with your grociers getting all wet kind of sucks. Sitting on your boat all day eating stale crackers and peanut butter sucks more.

-It can be boring, especially if your alone. Yes the water is beautiful and there are time when it is amazing, but a lot of the time it's boring. Eventualy the novelty wears off and you're sitting alone in a piece of fiberglass with nothing to do but look at the same water all day long. Then you get to port, a storm hits and you have to ride it out for three days in your boat because there is no way you could row your kayak in that water. (Longest three days of my life)

-Don't get to hung on the sailing part. Actualy sailing the boat is pretty easy, the hard part is all the other stuff. Reading the signs, figureing out where to go (btw get a good gps) stocking food, buying equipment, etc.

-There aren't sandy beaches where you can tie off to a coconut tree everywhere, or anywhere (at least not in the keys). You're going to have to go to designated anchorages, many of which aren't very exciting at all.

-The moral of the story is: buy a power boat, better yet, convience your friend to buy a power boat. While sailing my sailboat I was passed by many a power boat full of girls in bikinis hanging over the sides, not one sailboat though. So don't give up. I certainly don't regret my adventure, but it wasn't at all what I expected.
rlaribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:30   #137

Boat: O'Day 28

Yeah, well, the truth may set you free but won't make you popular. And, that was just the truth for him and his mindset.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 08:18   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Must be Hell, Charlie, dropping all the way down to a nine after a lifetime of tens.

After 20 years of being with her, that's her rating from me. Other males may not rate her so high, not that I GAS.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 19:53   #139

pirate Re: Don't quit yet, but here some advice...

good stuff. I love to run into people who really like each other.
Old 28-02-2013, 06:07   #140

Another in a list of great CF threads for us armchair sailors prepping for when our safe dry land fantasy meets a cold wet reality. Reminds me to actually “dip a toe in the water” before jumping in head first.
Thanks to all for sharing thoughts! Turds and all
bobbyg4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 07:17   #141

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg4eagle View Post
Another in a list of great CF threads for us armchair sailors prepping for when our safe dry land fantasy meets a cold wet reality. Reminds me to actually “dip a toe in the water” before jumping in head first.
Thanks to all for sharing thoughts! Turds and all
Yes and no - "Dipping a toe" has it's downside as well, depending on how you do it. Chartering a luxury catamaran with an experienced cruising captain = yes. Buying a tiny boat improperly outfitted for cruising = no.

It appears that this fellow tried the second method. Of course, there is a full spectrum in between.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08   #142

I'd say living in a typical NY city or Sf California apartment gets one ready a little at least. You really come to realize how little space you need, especially when so close to activity. I share a 1000 sq ft apt with 5 people, and it works more than just fine. Thinking about the sq ft space in AND outside even my 27 ft boat, its not too small. But it is an adjustment to be sure.

Oh and I don't know about you guys but sailboats seem to be just as much of a draw to the opposite sex, though generally the more intelligent and adventurous types. This does not mean any less attractive either. I'll take that any day.
aclevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29   #143
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

ROFLMTO.... you guys watch WAY to much Capt Ron...
NY apartment.... ehehehheeee

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclevername View Post
Oh and I don't know about you guys but sailboats seem to be just as much of a draw to the opposite sex, though generally the more intelligent and adventurous types. This does not mean any less attractive either. I'll take that any day.
Learn sumin new ever day!
Old 08-10-2016, 16:50   #145

Boat: Jensen, Cal 25, Tayana 37

so because it wasn't what you expected your plan is never to do it again and to try and discourage everyone else in the process?
nnb4oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:23   #146

At last I find a thread where the OP confirms the sense of having a larger boat. For a moment I was almost convinced to go for a 45'. Now I'm once again looking for tge 56' to 62' beauties.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:38   #147
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
At last I find a thread where the OP confirms the sense of having a larger boat. For a moment I was almost convinced to go for a 45'. Now I'm once again looking for tge 56' to 62' beauties.
Go for what you can afford to mange..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:51   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Go for what you can afford to mange..
Thanks for the encouragement boatman.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:17   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnb4oc View Post
so because it wasn't what you expected your plan is never to do it again and to try and discourage everyone else in the process?
I think many here misinterpret what the op is really saying. I think his first words are the point here. Don't quit yet! I enjoyed the op's post and I think if everybody kept that "Don't quit yet" message to the fore front of thought when continuing to read, they will see a different message than discouragement. So from me at least, thank you to the op for a thought provoking and humorous post.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:04   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
-The moral of the story is: buy a power boat, better yet, convience your friend to buy a power boat. While sailing my sailboat I was passed by many a power boat full of girls in bikinis hanging over the sides, not one sailboat though. So don't give up. I certainly don't regret my adventure, but it wasn't at all what I expected.
Man, that lady with her blog who dissed the seller who didn't have women on his promotional literature would get a hoot outta this!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote