Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Who should look after you when a cleat brakes on the pontoon?
The marina where the cleat is? 23 82.14%
The owner of the boat who had no control over the integrity of the cleat? 4 14.29%
The cleat make sold 20 odd years ago 0 0%
You should not accept assistance of struggling boat owners. 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 08:59   #1

Cleat failure who is responsible?

Cleat failure on marina, whose fault is it?

We all pay a lot for mooring of boats in marina(s) but when something happens in the marina that is outside of our control and outside of our responsibility such as the cleat that is on the dock fails under human loads (sweating by hand) who is responsible and Who must take the liability in case of injury.

for yachts:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...407/min176.pdf
Sheemgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:33   #2

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Cleat failure who is responsible?

Huh?

Can you explain the last three choices just a little bit?

ANYWAY ... I would generally say the marina owns the cleat and along with ownership comes responsibility.

But if the boater is aware that the cleat has been compromised somehow and says nothing to the marina ... then, I'm not so sure.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:47   #3

Oh yes.

Ok the cleat no one knew about.

The wal.com cleat just failed under a bit of load but not enough to NOT be able to sweat ihe lifht bow in between two cleats on a floating pontoon. Rated for 1 tonne they break at 5-6, according to an engineer at Wal.com but 20 odd years...! Perhaps they need to be replaced more often.

I have come stern to into a dock used the same cleats and used mooring winches and engine assist and they dont just rip apart.

Basically if every cleat failed as easy as this cleat then we wouldn't tie our boats up using cleats.

Ps tough with using voice dictation to get the spelling right coupled with fat finger syndrome on phone.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:50   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I think if you are in a US marina, and look at the leasing agreement you signed, you will find that the marina is not legally responsible for any damage to your boat in any instance.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12   #5

Hi no boat damage but damage to crew of nearby yacht asked to help owner who was struggling to park his boat as a result of the cleat on the marina pontoon failing
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42   #6

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Not legally responsible ... in any way?

really ... in any way?

Maybe a little like the disclaimer on the back of a sports ticket?

I think this comes under the category of what does the judge say?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:26   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

And that is why we have insurance. Your insurance hunts down the marina if they have been negligent. That said, a good marina will step-up. I've known Herrington Harbor to jump right in and pay for things without a word.

As an engineer, I can't imagine designing a cleat placement that was not strong enough to break any nylon/polyester rope attached to it. If someone ripped off a cleat with a Dyneema line I would feel differently, as they are not used for yacht mooring.

And yet I know damn well the cleats at my marina are no where close to that standard. I'm glad we are way up the creek.
Old 01-06-2015, 13:52   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sheemgal,

Pay the money and speak with a solicitor (UK) or a lawyer (US) if the injured crew is thinking of suit.

Generally speaking, with maritime law, blame is apportioned between the involved parties.

In the US, with civil law, it's (IMO) a crapshoot.

What I personally think is that the person who asked for the assistance is responsible if the helper was injured doing what the asker wanted. It was possibly a true accident where no one knew the cleat might fail, that no one was aware it was cracked. It is also possible someone had reported it to the marina. There are too many variables to reach a good decision, and discussing issues like this on the internet can leave an e-trail that works to the detriment of the injured party (or parties).

Ann
Old 02-06-2015, 07:54   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

Why is everything somebody elses fault. I guess when I grew up we were told to be careful, to look around and be aware of possible danger and to remember that life happens while we make plans.

A way too many lawyers in this world that are not busy enough doing real work.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dock cleats are responsibility of marina, HOWEVER, it is YOUR responsibility to advise the marina of potential fail points, such as loose cleats and damages to dock ...
take pix if possible.
the old addage BUYER BEWARE goes double in renting marina space.
be smart--inspect everything and report to marina as the responsibility party for your boat is yourself...be aware.
if marina chooses not to repair loose cleats, then report to some higher agency-- owners of marina, as opposed to the manager.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:48   #11

While interesting question, Not enough information to answer intelligently.
is the "pontoon", a boat of the dock, pier, wharf?

Not heard of a floating dock, referred to as a pontoon.
dbaoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Why is everything somebody elses fault. I guess when I grew up we were told to be careful, to look around and be aware of possible danger and to remember that life happens while we make plans.

A way too many lawyers in this world that are not busy enough doing real work.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
That all sounds good in theory, but what if you just purchased a brand new car and on the way home from the dealership the brakes fail and you smash into another car. What if you just purchased a new set of tires and on the way home one falls off and again you smash into another car?

You going to take responsibility for these or go back to the dealer and ask them to stand behind their work and product?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:05   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Regarding the original question, I agree there doesn't seem to be enough information. Also will very much depend on the laws of the place where the incident occurred.

In general

- a marina or any other business is responsible for the condition and safety of the equipment and premises, especially equipment that is directly involved in the business or service they provide, like a cleat at a marina where boats are expected to be tied up.

- That does not absolve the customers from all liability. For example if you were using a small cleat at the dinghy dock to tie up a 50' power boat and the cleat failed then obviously there would be liability on your part.

- if the cleat used was obviously intended for the purpose at hand and failed then one would think the liability would go back to the marina. If the cleat was defective then it would be between the marina and the manufacturer of the cleat to resolve.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
What I personally think is that the person who asked for the assistance is responsible if the helper was injured doing what the asker wanted.
Bingo...
We go to the public pump out dock pretty much like clockwork every weekend and every time we approach the dock the tourists watching us come in always rush over to help and take a dock line. My entire crew knows to NEVER...EVER...hand them the line! We politely tell them to please stand back. They usually don't listen and insist on thinking they can be of help in pushing on a 55,000lb boat while holding their Starbucks coffee in one hand. It's not because I'm arrogant and think I'm an ace in docking our Hudson Force 50...but because I know unskilled "helpers" have a better chance of getting hurt than actually helping.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaoter View Post
While interesting question, Not enough information to answer intelligently.
is the "pontoon", a boat of the dock, pier, wharf?

Not heard of a floating dock, referred to as a pontoon.
Unfortunately this is a symptom of the differences between the languages we like to call "English" on opposite sides of the Atlantic. To the inhabitants of the British Isles a pontoon is a floating component of a marina, whereas docks and quays are generally made of stone. Piers while originally made of stone , (the word "pier" is French for "stone"!), can sometimes be also made of wood, as can wharfs.
To us, a "floating dock" is something which, when filled with water a boat or ship can be sailed into. It is then closed and the water pumped out so that the bottom of the ship can be worked on.
A "slip" is a ramp which is used for launching boats on trailers.
I am constantly amused by the term "bottom paint" to refer to what we call "antifouling". Whenever I come across it I can visualise the person painting their ass (we say arse!), blue
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote