Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Who should look after you when a cleat brakes on the pontoon?
The marina where the cleat is? 23 82.14%
The owner of the boat who had no control over the integrity of the cleat? 4 14.29%
The cleat make sold 20 odd years ago 0 0%
You should not accept assistance of struggling boat owners. 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 17:35   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cleat failure who is responsible?

Boy, Sheemgal, that was a POS cleat! Good thing the guy was only wet, eh? Any landing you walk away from is a good landing......
Old 02-06-2015, 18:16   #32

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM6WET View Post
I think the marina is responsible.

OK, if it had been compromised and nobody said anything then it is not the marina but the marina owns it and as earlier said, with ownership comes responsibility - ESPECIALTY because they are selling the service.
The marina should have failing cleats on their PFMEA (potential Fault Mode & Effects Analysis) here they would find that to be on the safe side they must make a review/check/audit of the status of the marina cleats 2 times or whatnot a season or so and install a schedule to do this in the "serial maintenance protocol" or whatever they use.

my cents

And that is a bureaucratic response if I've ever seen one.........I am personally exhausted of being surround by stuff like this......really, serial maintenance protocol, PFMEA.....and people wonder why the cost of anything is skyrocketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 18:24   #33

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I think if you are in a US marina, and look at the leasing agreement you signed, you will find that the marina is not legally responsible for any damage to your boat in any instance.
Those 'we accept no liability for anything, ever' disclaimers are usually in violation of numerous pieces of consumer protection legislation.

That being said us little people are rarely ever able to exercise our rights under law.

I would expect most marinas would blame the supplier of the cleat. As a user of the cleat you probably don't have any direct legal connection to the cleat supplier. Therefore restricting your legal redress options.

In reality you need a plan b when docking on the rare occasion a cleat fails. Or a line or you trip and fall off, etc.

Docking rule number 1. Never enter the dock faster than you are prepared to hit something.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 23:07   #34

I looked on line and found a company that tests bollards with special tools. In the old days they used to be tested using a tug which resulted with injury and damage to the tug in cases when the bollard failed just google 'failed bollards'.

After using cleats for 20 odd years, nothing in any boat training has ever said "when using a cleat it may break under human strength".

I have applied so much pressure using thrust or winching to similar cleats that it was either never tested or it had suffered electrolysis (stainless steel chain around aluminum cleat) not sure else why it failed
Sheemgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:47   #35

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I think if you are in a US marina, and look at the leasing agreement you signed, you will find that the marina is not legally responsible for any damage to your boat in any instance.
Tell that to your insurance company! I'm sure they care! Not...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote