Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 09:29   #151

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
ps. Folks, I am sure sailing is a great time, especially when ya can put the boat up at night and go home. However, for an inexperienced sailor, such as myself, in unknown waters, going via the water to a place I have never been to, through places I have never traveled through to get there its a tad bit stressful.
Well, true enough. Most people kinda start at the other end, learning to sail, learning to navigate, THEN leave on a big trip. (well, honestly, most never DO leave on that trip). But since you're there, and you're alive and well, try to relax and enjoy the trip.

Things to do: Fish, bird watch, read, explore little bays/islands (called gunkholeing), etc. Some people don't like being alone...and some of us actually LIKE watching paint dry It sounds like you have at least some cash, so perhaps some fishing gear and a license wouldn't be too much of a stretch? Oh...you do have tunes right? I can sit all day (literally) and listen to good music!
Old 28-12-2012, 10:04   #152
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
ps. Folks, I am sure sailing is a great time, especially when ya can put the boat up at night and go home. However, for an inexperienced sailor, such as myself, in unknown waters, going via the water to a place I have never been to, through places I have never traveled through to get there its a tad bit stressful.
I dunno your route, but sounds (from others) that you have little choice but to proceed mainly by motor (both for wind direction / lack of sailing room and needing to reach a next destination) - but sailing does get better, yer just need to get the sails up .........apart from the day sailing angle (not to be sniffed at), the trick to doing that is to be heading to places where the sails work enroute (and that you have the time to do so!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 10:07   #153

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Black oak sorry we didnt get get a chance to hook up. Were off shore heading north now. Its awesome out! Trolling the whole way caught a huge grouper on a stretch 25 magnum and really nice bonita that wore the wifes arms out. Just a wrd of caution we saw currents as high as 2.5 knots at some of the bridges just south of you. If you stay inside keep that in mind. If you go to anchor near boca. Pelican bay is Awesome!!!!! Great island, lots of great scenery lots of boat people and well worth it. Just watch your depths going in or best to follow another sail boat. Dont trust the charts we ran hit ground where the navionics and paper said 17'!! Near an inlet north of there. Best wishes and give a shout if u.need to,

Crew of Jellicle Cat.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 10:29   #154
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Really not having a good time, slow boat, GIWW, missing home an family, cold weather, and sitting on that damn little toilet!! I tried squatting the other day, and missed just as a wave passed under my boat. Cya all later. Gonna be here a couple of days.
There is much to be said for having some onboard heating when it is cold and damp outside. I have had good experience with Webasto units. I see Chineese knockoffs new for ~700US$ on auction sites. Original Webasto/Espar units can be obtained even cheaper used - talk to car junkyard/mechanics. Installation is pretty straightforward. They come in 24V and 12V versions so be sure what you get if you choose to install one.

Probably not much use once you get to your destination, but in the meantime maybe a small boat project worth some time and money?

Enjoy your journey - all the best!
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 11:11   #155

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

I added a couple more photos to the photobucket. Not many though. My Seafarer and Adventures 2012 Photos by blackoak1 | Photobucket

Thanks for the well wishes and advice. Don't think I will do Venice to Boca Grande on the inside, I will try sunday morning on the outside, if the wind/weather and my frame of mind is right. Then it will be duck in at Boca, then to the outside again to Gordon Pass and then to Marco. These weather fronts seem to be back to back, with the favorable winds at night, and the daytime winds in the face situation. I'm not to keen on night travel yet.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 11:16   #156

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Black oak sorry we didnt get get a chance to hook up. Were off shore heading north now. Its awesome out! Trolling the whole way caught a huge grouper on a stretch 25 magnum and really nice bonita that wore the wifes arms out. Just a wrd of caution we saw currents as high as 2.5 knots at some of the bridges just south of you. If you stay inside keep that in mind. If you go to anchor near boca. Pelican bay is Awesome!!!!! Great island, lots of great scenery lots of boat people and well worth it. Just watch your depths going in or best to follow another sail boat. Dont trust the charts we ran hit ground where the navionics and paper said 17'!! Near an inlet north of there. Best wishes and give a shout if u.need to,

Crew of Jellicle Cat.
Also sorry we missed yall Ryan, maybe next go round. Sounds like yall had a great day of fishing and sailing. If I liked fish I would give it a go, but the only seafood I favor is lobster and shrimp.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 11:31   #157

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
From post 1, you remind me of kids faces on milk cartons. Every paragraph of yours has a distress flair going off. You do not do well on land or sea. Maybe air is your venue?

4 knots is moving right along, what did you expect? You are not entered into powerboat races.

I notice you focus on things like land showers and shopping in box stores. Yet you wanted to go to distant islands? What vast box store do you think awaits you there?

Before you can be comfortable on a sailboat, you have to be comfortable with yourself. If 4 knots is slow, would 6 knots be any better? If 27 foot long is too small to find interesting things to do, would 54 foot be any better?

Park that sailboat of yours, and get back on a motorcycle where police can chase you through traffic, Sturgis is around the corner, and between you and Sturgis is 200 box stores.

For all you complain about, the rest of us would enjoy, or would enjoy given the chance.

If you are really as three footed as you pen, get off that bucket before you hurt someone, or cause property damage to someone else's boat.

I still think all this is pulling legs. Not buying into it even 2% on the 1% it is legit, quit already and move as far from big water as you can get.
Old 28-12-2012, 11:52   #158

I dont see it as bad a our first offshore trip was 10x more stressful. Some times you have to go thru hell to get to heaven. Though ive heard the bermuda trip can be hell.
With sailing trips sometimes the 1 hour of great sailing is worth the 6 hours of slow motoring. Hell we just lost wind to an approaching thunderstorm and will probable motor next 5-6 hours. Th

If blackoak didnt want the adventure and experience im sure he would of flown there.
Old 28-12-2012, 12:08   #159

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
From post 1, you remind me of kids faces on milk cartons. Every paragraph of yours has a distress flair going off. You do not do well on land or sea. Maybe air is your venue?

4 knots is moving right along, what did you expect? You are not entered into powerboat races.

I notice you focus on things like land showers and shopping in box stores. Yet you wanted to go to distant islands? What vast box store do you think awaits you there?

Before you can be comfortable on a sailboat, you have to be comfortable with yourself. If 4 knots is slow, would 6 knots be any better? If 27 foot long is too small to find interesting things to do, would 54 foot be any better?

Park that sailboat of yours, and get back on a motorcycle where police can chase you through traffic, Sturgis is around the corner, and between you and Sturgis is 200 box stores.

For all you complain about, the rest of us would enjoy, or would enjoy given the chance.

If you are really as three footed as you pen, get off that bucket before you hurt someone, or cause property damage to someone else's boat.

I still think all this is pulling legs. Not buying into it even 2% on the 1% it is legit, quit already and move as far from big water as you can get.
Would it help if I tell you I know this guy, about 20 members of his family, and where he is headed, Bermuda, there are box stores--- or wait a minute,---YOU are not reaL--you are the troll.
Sail on a lake--in NEBRASKA-- get real.
Old 28-12-2012, 14:40   #160

GaryMayo gets the buzz killer award! Black Oak, keep on moving, be cautious and keep up the frame of mind that you are in school right now. You are learning and don't have enough experience or knowledge to make this fun. Thats what I keep telling myself. Just like flying...it took me most of my high school years and about four years in the military before I actually started to enjoy flying! Before that I kind of thought it would be fun but I really didn't have a good idea about it. So the way I look at it is that I can't make an informed decision about sailing until I get some more...well lots more experience. I am starting to get a good idea about working on boats though!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 15:24   #161

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
I don't care if blackoak is a troll or it's all fiction, it's still great fun to read. And if you do hit the road to Sturgis, you can stay overnight at our house here in Sioux Falls, although we need to do some work on the boat on the way so dress warm.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 15:45   #162

Hes not trolling. The great thing about forums if you dont like whats going on change the channel and quit yer bitchin!!!
Old 28-12-2012, 16:39   #163

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Exactly - I have no idea why a certain sailor from Nebraska gets so worked up about it. Darn funny writing either way.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 21:24   #164

Boat: Pearson 281

Oak...what a hoot, thank you...much more fun than any ol' bumfuzzle! Keep goin and keep the stories coming!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 22:48   #165

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman
GaryMayo gets the buzz killer award!
+1 :-)

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda