Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 15:03   #151

Re: Yachties deported from NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post

Let's see how many Aussie's really want to see Queenstown this year.
Speak for yourself sunshine, i love NZ and especially Queenstown, in fact i don't know of a single Australian who has visited Queenstown NZ that wouldn't go back tomorrow if given the chance.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:35   #152

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
Would be nice if you had dressed down those that insulted our own nation, and yes tit for tat gains absolutely nothing however passionate discussion can sometimes overrides and dominates common sense. Take care.
Onward
Chuckle, you are right. But I see them having a go at our governments policies and rules, not insulting kiwi people and name calling the whole population. After reading and agreeing with most of your posts, I’m surprised you are okay with that.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:40   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Maybe the sheep are on strike for better conditions...or are in lockdown?
Wotti, don’t mention the sheep. The reason we got the sheep and you got the Aussie girls, was because we won the toss.
Old 06-10-2020, 16:13   #154
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Wotti, don’t mention the sheep. The reason we got the sheep and you got the Aussie girls, was because we won the toss.
I'm stumped for words
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 17:22   #155

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post

Well Old Son, does that make you all tossers??

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 17:31   #156

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotiheff View Post
I say again: There is no problem. Fly home and we will sail your boats to NZ. Everyone wins. You get to enjoy your own country and all its great handling of this C19 and we get your boats. Or at least the few good ones. The rest you can burn. Why would you imagine we owe you more??? Take responsibility for your situation. You put yourself there.

How quaint in this day and age, send perceived wrongdoers home and steal their possessions.
And your politicians are heartily complaining about Australia's practice of sending convicted criminals back home to their country of origin.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 17:52   #157

Boat: S&S 40

I sincerely hope the free spirit of cruising the oceans of this world doesn't die a complete demise.
As things are at the moment I am concerned that a lot of sailors have conceded to freedom in the name of fear.
No doubt some measures are useful
No doubt some are not.
I can hear the condo brigade getting outraged.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 17:54   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Well Old Son, does that make you all tossers??
Ouch, you got me, Bob. “Bugger”
Old 06-10-2020, 21:15   #159

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

In spite of the conspiracy theories and griping about govt actions, we should realize that the people of NZ and Oz - to name a few - have done quite well with the pandemic because they simply used their brains and accepted that they should do what medical and other experts suggest. So they trusted their experts and politicians and are better position to get back to something like "normal" sooner. Some notable countries did not....

Please try to not see this issue simplistically if you are someone in a comfortable position in a country of wealth and power - the usual friendly and hospitable Kiwis are not callously rejecting yachties. But NZ is a small country that has neither vast wealth or power and so must direct their efforts to keep this dangerous epidemic under control, and in the way that they see fit. That is smart and that is their right - and it is working! And none of us looking on are likely to be in the position of knowing more about what is actually happening than the Kiwis themselves, and especially the particular details of the yacht in question, even if some laws appear unfair or draconian.

As well, this situation might be partly tainted by the behaviour of other visitors. I refer to the suffering NZ has had where apparently civilized visitors literally and figuratively crap on their country. People should know that for years they have had a big problem with "freedom campers" wherein large numbers of Europeans and others come and rent camper-vans and tour their beautiful, clean country. But what many have irresponsibly done to save a few dollars is literally dump the sewage on the side of the road or street or in a park - and return the van and fly off home.

Imagine that - and you might also be indignant! NZ had to pass laws and clamp down on the whole industry to try to prevent this foul behaviour. Yes, more laws, expense and hassle - simply due to bad guest in their country.

If that happened to you, I think you would also take offense and take a pretty careful look at the people who promise to behave and follow your laws - and then not do it. Unfortunately the innocent and decent people can be tarred with the same brush - especially if they arrive defying NZ laws when they arrive! You can't blame NZ authorities for being "once bitten - twice shy" with visitors - even apparently saintly sailors!

Cheers, RR.
Old 06-10-2020, 21:36   #160

RR.You seem to be equating members of the pacific cruising fleet with freeloaders who crap on NZ?
worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 22:08   #161

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
Last 10 years average 100 per year both within and outside of NZ SAR, majority foreign flagged and includes vessels of all types. Inshore averages 600 since 2005 majority NZ recreational boaters kayaks etc.
Nothing there to back up Yottiheff's unsubstantiated statement.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 22:08   #162

Boat: Gazelle, 25ft. Ganley 44ft

Worsley, no he is not, have another read
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 22:13   #163

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsley View Post
RR.You seem to be equating members of the pacific cruising fleet with freeloaders who crap on NZ?
The 'freedom campers crapping by the roadside' thing is trotted out and fed to the media once a year by the Caravan Park Owners Association of New Zealand... I think they may have an agenda.....I wouldn't be too surprised if DNA testing of the offending turds linked them to the park owners themselves...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 22:42   #164

Boat: Volkscruiser

Ping it's a fair dinkum problem in NZ. We were there two years ago and to try and combat the problem they had portable toilets dumped in some of the hot spots. Just check out this video below. Bloody hell one thing NZ is not short of is public toilets.
I wonder if NZ will really confiscate the yacht?
Cheers
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...treet.amp.html
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 22:46   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The 'freedom campers crapping by the roadside' thing is trotted out and fed to the media once a year by the Caravan Park Owners Association of New Zealand... I think they may have an agenda.....I wouldn't be too surprised if DNA testing of the offending turds linked them to the park owners themselves...
Ha, I reckon your on to something there mate.

Tags
yacht