Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2020, 14:59   #16

Re: The BVI's, a word of caution

Thank you Joli for the informative post regarding the BVI's exclusion zone.

I took the liberty to add your notice to the main Covid 19 thread titled:

Corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...31055-109.html

Please add similar rules regarding ports of call to that thread also.

We could do without the presumptuous anger issues regarding how sovereign countries safeguard their populations.

No time to be traveling during a pandemic, to the BVI's or elsewhere. Stay at home, stay safe everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BVI photo_boaters_advised_not_to_sail_in_exclusion_zone.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	227439  
Old 22-11-2020, 15:00   #17

Boat: Shark 24 / Compac23

I have no problem with the BVI closing their ports and beaches to transits. Seems to make sense to me. But impounding your boat just because you are sailing through their waters on your way to somewhere else is another thing.
Old 22-11-2020, 17:00   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

OK...let's get a few facts straight! Our worst outbreak, here in the BVI, came a few months ago when some folks illegally came over from the USVI, went to the bar, and wound up infecting about 60 people. The sea border between the USVI and the BVI is very hard to maintain as the distances are close. Following this incident, barges have been put in place that monitor the most obvious places, by radar, etc, and further vessels have been interdicted at night. The Governor organized a British Navy Vessel (which sometimes helps out the USVI) to also maintain a patrol, via various different high and low tech means, and whose position is not shared with even the police or customs. Notwithstanding this, a week ago we had a major cocaine bust, to the tune of a street value of $250 million, or most of a year's budget for the Territory! A policeman was involved. Obviously, it had to come by sea. So, the border is a very sensitive thing. Since the borders closed, the area from West End to just west of the Indians has been closed to pleasure yachts, without advance permission, to better keep the area clearer of boats and easier to monitor. It's actually a reasonable position. So, whilst this is all Covid inspired, there are a few other issues.

With regard to the seizures, yes, it was certainly heavy handed. I don't believe either vessel contacted the BVI, or they would have been told. I do know that one was a charter boat from the USVI, that was tacking upwind between St. John and Tortola, and crossed the line....easy to do. Not deliberate. Probably not even careless, but simply ignorant of the regs. They were fined $20,000. I am not aware of anyone actually being fined more than that, but I could be wrong. It certainly has not been publicized, and such things usually are. As for impoundment, that was probably a heavy handed consequence of being unable to pay...I certainly don't sail around with $20K in my pocket.

I think that everyone here was a bit shocked at Customs, even though we know that their mission is to protect us from intrusion. Certainly the marine sector was. That said, the BVI has long had an enforcement policy that is uneven but very heavy handed. It's probably a good deal less uneven these days! And, it probably heads off a lot of "innocent", better to ask forgiveness than permission, violations. It is also true that cruisers in the Caribbean take a fairly casual view of many regulations, and that the Right of Passage does not cover every situation, as noted above. It probably does no good to get on one's high horse and claim that it does.

A couple of other notes.....the Protocols have been a real pain. They are still not completely formulated or at least dispersed. The charter industry, here, still is crying out for answers, and that is incredibly stupid on the part of Government. Having said that, it is true that charterers will be able to quarantine aboard, but it is nowhere near as lax as a previous poster outlined. The bays to which one will be able to sail have not been publicised, and, as it stands now, you will only be able to swim within 30 feet of your boat! The four days is really more than that: your arrival day is day 0, not 1. After day 4 is completed, you take your second test, and get the results within 18 to 24 hours, as we do have a lab here to do the PCR testing. Only then will you be free to move. So, you may be restricted for as many as six days. This is the plan for three months, but if there is one thing that has been true throughout Covid, is that regulations get changed. In the meantime, we, here, have been frustrated, but have worked hard to make a charter at least somewhat plausible, and we hope people do come. The sailing is great, and there will certainly not be the customary crowds.

One other thing.....while a huge part of the Territory is dependent upon Tourism, and it is the second largest employer, it is by no means the largest source of revenue. That would be the financial sector, which supplies more than half. Just a clarification of a previous poster's comment.

Whilst the BVI has achieved one of the best records regarding Covid, in the world, with one death and around 70 cases, all told, it has taken a huge financial toll. Thankfully, it has not taken the toll, regarding mortality and infection, absorbed by some of the, shall we say, less diligent nations. Notwithstanding all of that, we need visitors to visit, and, hopefully sooner than later, we will have palatable ways for people to do that.
Old 22-11-2020, 17:03   #19

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

This is tough. As noted previously, the health care there is paper thin. A good friend slipped boarding a dinghy and just getting her evaluated for a broken rib (to rule out other problems) was difficult, to say the least. COVID? You could just kiss your uknowhat goodbye. Transiting offshore cannot possibly have consequences for them - but they have no way to enforce it and you can bet dollars to doughnuts that the first day they allow people to transit, someone will anchor. The next day, someone will go ashore. And on it goes. I think it is just the practical reality of a country that has no real health care system and no coast guard. The only thing they can do is to put up a perimeter exclusion zone with horrific fines and hope that scares people off.
There are costs and benefits of having a robust government. These are the costs of not having one.
Old 22-11-2020, 17:12   #20

Boat: Leopard 45

I have Leopard 45 in charter with Sunsail in the BVI. I was planning to vacation there from Dec 1 (the first day they would be open) until the 25th. I was told that we couldn't arrive by boat from the US Virgin Islands and that only the airport on buck Island would be allowing any tourists in. You must have a Covid 19 test within three days of arrival and another test on arrival. You must then quarantine for eight days in place (on your boat is OK but you can't move from anchorage). Then another test is necessary after which you must again quarantine in place. You are given a gps wrist bracelet to wear at all times from the time you arrive until the second quarantine is over after which you are free to go wherever you wish. The cost of all this is said to be around $600 which you are expected to fork over upon arrival. Since my stay was only going to be three weeks I would have had only five days of unrestricted sailing. I called off my trip and rescheduled for the Exumas where the Covid protocol was much less severe (test before arrival, test five days after arrival) with no restrictions on where we could sail.
jim
Old 22-11-2020, 17:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
I have Leopard 45 in charter with Sunsail in the BVI. I was planning to vacation there from Dec 1 (the first day they would be open) until the 25th. I was told that we couldn't arrive by boat from the US Virgin Islands and that only the airport on buck Island would be allowing any tourists in. You must have a Covid 19 test within three days of arrival and another test on arrival. You must then quarantine for eight days in place (on your boat is OK but you can't move from anchorage). Then another test is necessary after which you must again quarantine in place. You are given a gps wrist bracelet to wear at all times from the time you arrive until the second quarantine is over after which you are free to go wherever you wish. The cost of all this is said to be around $600 which you are expected to fork over upon arrival. Since my stay was only going to be three weeks I would have had only five days of unrestricted sailing. I called off my trip and rescheduled for the Exumas where the Covid protocol was much less severe (test before arrival, test five days after arrival) with no restrictions on where we could sail.
jim
FYI: Regarding the Exumas.

https://www.bahamas.com/pressroom/ba...ealth-measures

Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation Statement on updated COVID-19 Public Health Measures
NOVEMBER 10, 2020
Weekend Lockdowns Lifted for New Providence and Abaco; New Measures in Place for Eleuthera and Exuma, as well as Domestic Travel from New Providence

UPDATED: NOVEMBER 13, 2020

For Immediate Release

NASSAU, Bahamas, November 12, 2020 – As the national average of new COVID-19 cases continues to decrease, fueled by good progress on both New Providence and Abaco, the Government of The Bahamas has issued updated public health measures effective as of Monday, November 9.

While restrictions have eased for New Providence and Abaco, additional measures are being implemented on Eleuthera, in an effort to curb the spread of the virus. Details are as follows:

New Providence and Abaco

The 24-hour weekend curfew has been lifted; the weekday curfew has been updated to 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., Monday through Friday, while the weekend curfew has been changed to 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

Businesses are able to resume increased services and operating hours. Monday through Saturday, retail shops can open for in-store shopping, while restaurants and Fish Fry establishments may now resume outdoor dining. Hotel restaurants can offer indoor dining, and grocery stores may open to the public on Saturdays.

Beaches and parks will continue operating from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday, and can now open on Saturdays and Sundays from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Residents and visitors travelling inter-island from New Providence to any other island will be required to submit to a mandatory quarantine upon arrival for a period of 14 days or the duration of their stay – whichever is shorter.
A person who has entered The Bahamas and is transiting through New Providence to an Out Island, within a period of less than 24 hours, shall not be required to quarantine.

Eleuthera (excluding Harbour Island and Spanish Wells) and Exuma (excluding Exuma Cays)

A weekday curfew is in effect from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m., Monday through Friday. On weekends, a 24-hour curfew will be implemented, beginning 6 p.m. on Friday through 5 a.m. on Monday.
During weekend curfew hours, businesses, grocery stores and restaurants will remain closed.

All bars on Eleuthera and Exuma will be closed, including restaurants connected to bars.

At this time, no domestic inter-island travel into or out of Eleuthera or Exuma is permitted.

Anyone travelling from Exuma or Eleuthera to any other island in The Bahamas will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test.

Due to the fluidity of COVID-19, the Government of The Bahamas will continue to monitor cases across the islands and loosen or tighten restrictions as needed. The Bahamas is an archipelago with more than 700 islands and cays, spread over 100,000 square miles, which means conditions and instances of the virus can be different on each of the 16 islands available to welcome visitors. Travellers should check the status of their island destination before travelling, by visiting Bahamas.com/travelupdates.

For full details on the latest updates, protocols and regulations, please visit opm.gov.bs.

Entry and Exit Requirements:
https://bs.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? YES

Before traveling, each traveler must go to travel.gov.bs, select “International,” and submit a Travel Health Visa Application. The application will require a negative RT PCR nasal swab COVID-19 test result (see below).
Applications take up to 72 hours to process, after which each traveler will receive a confirmation regarding their application’s approval.
Each traveler must present their final confirmation document of their Travel Health Visa application, along with their negative RT PCR COVID-19 test results, upon boarding flights to The Bahamas and again upon arrival in The Bahamas.

For questions, contact the Ministry of Tourism COVID-19 Travel Compliance Unit at +1 (242) 502-0829 or healthvisa@bahamas.com.
Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? YES
Each traveler* must present a COVID-19 RT PCR (molecular swab) test with a negative result in order to apply for the Travel Health Visa Application (see above) needed to enter The Bahamas. The test sample must not have been taken more than five (5) days prior to the date of arrival. No other type of COVID-19 test is acceptable. The name and address of the lab where the test was taken must be clearly displayed on the test result.
Each traveler must upload evidence of their negative result when completing the Travel Health Visa Application prior to arrival (see above).
For testing locations in the United States, contact your local or state health department.
*The following travelers are exempt from presenting a COVID-19 test: Children under the age of 10, pilots and crew who will remain in The Bahamas for not more than one night.
On Day 5 of the visit (unless departing on Day 5 or sooner), a COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test must be taken. More information is available here.

Mandatory COVID-19 health insurance: Effective November 14, 2020, all visitors are required to opt-in to mandatory COVID-19 health insurance when applying for their Travel Health Visa. The insurance covers travelers for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas. Fees for the Bahamas Health Travel Visa, inclusive of Day 5 Rapid Antigen Test and mandatory health insurance, are:
$40 – Visitors staying up to four nights and five days.
$40 – Citizens and returning residents.
$60 – Visitors staying more than four nights.
Free – Children 10 years and under
Coverage includes:
Medical expenses incurred on-island due to COVID-19, up to $50,000 USD
Trip interruption/delay for necessary quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19, up to $500 USD per day/$7,000 USD max
Medical evacuation due to COVID-19, and subject to medical necessity, up to $50,000 USD

Entry by sea: Every port of entry in every Family Island shall be closed with the exception of any port which is a public dock. All individuals entering by boat must follow all entry requirements above, plus must stop at the port of entry of their intended destination and deliver a copy of their negative RT PCR test results not more than 5 days old and a copy of their valid Travel Health Visa.
If a visitor traveling by boat is symptomatic, they must go to the first port of call and submit to RT PCR COVID-19 test and mandatory quarantine until the test results are available. If the RT PCR COVID-19 test result is positive, the individual must remain in mandatory quarantine for 14 days or the duration of stay, whichever is shorter.
Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? YES
For questions regarding Bahamian visa extensions for residents and/or tourists, please visit https://www.immigration.gov.bs.

Movement Restrictions:

Is a curfew in place? YES, on a limited number of islands:

New Providence (Nassau) and its surrounding islands and cays including Paradise Island; and Abaco Island and its surrounding islands and cays excluding Green Turtle Cay, Grand Cay, Man O War Cay, and Elbow Cay:
Weeknight curfews are in effect from 9:00pm each night until 5:00am the following morning.
Weekend curfews are in effect on Saturdays and Sundays from 6:00pm to 5:00am.
Exercise is permitted in one’s neighborhood Monday through Friday from 5:00am to 9:00pm and on Saturdays and Sundays from 5:00am to 6:00pm.
Private and public beaches and parks are open on New Providence (Nassau) and Abaco Monday through Friday from 5:00am to 9:00pm, and on Saturdays and Sundays from 5:00am to 6:00pm. Groups may not exceed five (5) people.
Grand Bahama Island: Weeknight curfews (Monday – Friday) are in effect from 9:00pm to 5:00am.
Eleuthera Island (mainland island only; excludes Spanish Wells and Harbour Island):
Weekend curfews are in effect starting each Friday at 6:00pm through the following Monday at 5:00am.
Weeknight curfews are in effect from 6:00pm to 5:00am the following morning.
All private and public social gatherings are prohibited.

Exuma (limited to Great Exuma and Little Exuma):
Weekend curfews are in effect starting each Friday at 6:00pm through the following Monday at 5:00am.
Weeknight curfews are in effect from 6:00pm to 5:00am the following morning.
Are there restrictions on intercity of interstate travel? YES
All inter-island travel requires the completion of an online health application at https://travel.gov.bs/domestic

For Eleuthera and Exuma: No domestic travel either TO or FROM these islands by either air or sea is permitted until further notice, except for emergencies or other travel approved by the Director-General of the Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority or the Chairman of the Bahamas Maritime Authority

Persons travelling inter-island from New Providence (Nassau) and its surrounding islands and Cays including Paradise Islands, or from Exuma (limited to Great Exuma and Little Exuma) to other islands are required to undergo a RT PCR test no more than five (5) days prior to travel and produce a negative result. However, if a person who entered The Bahamas and is transiting through New Providence (Nassau) to any other Bahamian island within a period of less than 24 hours, they are not required to apply for a Travel Health Visa for inter-island (domestic) travel nor are they subject to the mandatory quarantine process currently in effect for individuals traveling from New Providence.

Quarantine Information:

Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? YES (Individuals who are symptomatic or have tested positive for COVID-19)
While mandatory quarantining is not required upon arrival, individuals who become symptomatic or test positively for COVID-19 while in The Bahamas must quarantine.
Additionally, anyone traveling from New Providence (Nassau) and its surrounding islands and cays including Paradise Island, to any of the other Bahamian islands, is required to quarantine for a period of 14 days, or for the duration of stay if for a lesser period. However, if a person who entered The Bahamas and is transiting through New Providence (Nassau) to any other Bahamian island within a period of less than 24 hours, they are not required to apply for a Travel Health Visa for inter-island (domestic) travel nor are they subject to the mandatory quarantine process currently in effect for individuals traveling from New Providence.
Quarantine periods must be completed at one of the following locations:
A private residence or rented accommodation (like AirBnB) where the person can quarantine in an unoccupied bedroom with its own connected bathroom.
A hotel or private club where the person can quarantine in an unoccupied bedroom with its own connected bathroom.
A private boat
If the traveler cannot quarantine in any of the above, they will be directed to a Government Mandated Quarantine Facility at their own expense.
Old 23-11-2020, 07:31   #22

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

Well first off $20,000.00 for accidently crossing a line at sea while on an upwind tack is just short of piracy. Technology can easily see if their intentions were to move up wind and not go to the BVI's. I wonder what the BVI government would do if the US did that to one of their charters? Tourism may not be their #1 source of income but I be its a major amount. All this sounds like the first step in mandating vaccination before you can go anywhere. Put your hand up if you want to be first because I want to see the side effects first. How many get sick or die from the vaccine? Or permanently disabled. Then do they want to chip you? So much for the free life of cruising.
Old 23-11-2020, 08:31   #23

FYI, this is not a new exclusion zone, it has been in effect since June 11, 2020 and has been a broadly published Maritime announcement.

https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/boat...exclusion-zone

No one should be surprised by the implementation of an exclusion zone, actually during a pandemic, one should be surprised that one would be allowed to enter or transit a country.

Recalling earlier this year - "As of Monday, March 23rd, 2020 the Government of the BVI has closed all borders and no-one at all can enter the BVI" and that was with the expectation to last until at least September 1st.

The Bahamas also implemented restrictions on transiting their country early on during the pandemic and many if not most countries closed their borders.

Boaters Advised Not To Sail In Exclusion Zone
Press Release

Premier's Office
Royal Virgin Islands Police Force
Immigration Department
Her Majesty’s Customs
Topics: Marine Transport, Ministry of Health, Novel Coronavirus
Release Date:
Thursday, 11 June 2020 - 6:56pm

The Government of the Virgin Islands has introduced an exclusion zone that would limit marine traffic as a result of COVID-19.

Premier and Minister of Finance, Honourable Andrew A. Fahie said that
unrestricted marine traffic and activity will be allowed only between 5:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

The Premier said, “Unrestricted marine traffic and activity will be permitted East of 64*38.300'W on the south side of Tortola and an area East of the dividing line between the western most tip of Jost Van Dyke and Western most tip of Tortola.”

The Territory’s leader further stated that traffic through the exclusion zone and outside of the navigational limits is restricted and requires pre-clearance from the Multi-Agency Operational Command prior to transit.

Premier Fahie added that vessels fitted with Automatic Identification System technology will be required to use same while navigating within the Territorial waters, especially in the exclusion zone to make them easily identifiable to law enforcement from a distance.

Licenced or approved fisherfolk can contact 311 in advance of departure for their approval if they wish to traverse the exclusion zone. Boaters that enter the exclusion zone without prior permission will be in violation of Curfew (No. 21) Order, 2020 and can be penalised.

All cargo vessels and other vessels that have been granted permission by the Ministry of Health and Social Development, Environmental Health Division and the Joint Border Taskforce to arrive or depart the Territory are exempted.

The exclusion zone is an area west of 64*38.300’W on the south side of Tortola. This area is loosely described as a line between the westernmost tip of Norman Island and Nanny Cay and remains clear of USVI territorial waters and west of a dividing line formed between the westernmost tip of Jost Van Dyke and the westernmost tip of Tortola. The exclusion zone around the BVI encompasses the western tip of Jost Van Dyke and western tip of Anegada.

###

Trespassing has its consequences, do not trespass.
Old 23-11-2020, 08:48   #24

Notice from Prime Minister of the Bahamas.

EXUMA LOCKDOWN: PM shuts down domestic travel as COVID-19 cases soar
Local November 11, 2020, November 13, 2020 at 8:18 pm Ava Turnquest

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis announced new emergency measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in Exuma tonight.

As he announced a 24-hour weekend curfew and the restriction of all domestic travel from the island, he urged residents to adhere to the measures to mitigate the “exponential spread” of the virus.

“I know that this is short notice,” Minnis said.

“But such a measure is a critical part of the strategy to contain and to control the spread of COVID-19 throughout the country. This measure is designed to stop possible spikes on other islands because of individuals who may be COVID 19 positive quickly moving to other islands.”

As of yesterday, there were 79 cases on the island of Exuma.

Of that number, 28 cases are active, and two are hospitalized.

There was also one COVID-19 related death reported, Minnis said.

Minnis said health officials have observed an exponential increase in Exuma following the October holiday weekend and two major events.

Effective tomorrow, domestic travel by air or sea vessels is prohibited in and out of Exuma except for exemptions provided in the emergency orders and approved by officials.

Anyone traveling from Exuma to any other island in The Bahamas will be required to have a negative COVID RT PCR testing.

Minnis said a negative diagnostic test will be required in order to leave the island of Exuma except where exemptions are allowed in emergency powers order.

On Friday, November 13, Exuma will go into a 24-hour weekend lockdown at 6pm, ending Monday 5am. During the weekend curfew, business operations will not be allowed to open.

The weekday curfew will take effect this Thursday, from Monday to Friday 6pm to 5am.

Minnis said commercial activity may continue as normal during the week, except as follows: fish fries, bars, and restaurants connected to bars.

“Private and public social gatherings are not allowed,” he said.

“Funeral services may take place at the graveside only and will be limited to 10 people, not including officiant and caretakers. Wedding limited to 10 people, not including officiants.”

Repass and receptions are also prohibited.

“Church services may take place only by virtual means,” Minnis said.

“A maximum of 10 persons may provide live stream services from the sanctuary. In-person classroom instruction is also prohibited but may take place by virtual means.”

During a live broadcasted statement, Minnis said the country has made considerable progress with restrictive measures in New Providence, Grand Bahama, and Abaco.

A team from the Ministry of Health’s Surveillance Unit and contact tracers have been deployed to Exuma, and the number of health officials on the island has also been increased.

Minnis said the efforts of a similar team in Eleuthera have proven successful as all positive cases on the island are in isolation and all of their contacts are in quarantine, being closely monitored.
Old 23-11-2020, 09:52   #25

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesspursuit View Post
...Put your hand up if you want to be first because I want to see the side effects first...
You can't be first because there are already tens of thousands, maybe more than 100,000 who have stepped up already to receive the various vaccines in the trials. More people volunteered than could be enrolled.
Some significant side effects have been reported and as we have heard in the media there have been a couple "clinical holds" imposed to pause the trials while these were evaluated.
The full data are not in, so none of our opinions about efficacy and side effects are of any value. But they will be presented to FDA soon. Then we will hear from the FDA commissioner (and Dr. Fauci!) on their expert recommendations for approval and indications (and contraindications).
Just to prepare everyone, there will be adverse effects. You can have adverse effects if you inject sterile saline into a person. Any bioactive vaccine will have some increment above that. The hope is that this increment is modest and on balance, much less hazardous than COVID disease itself.
There are only two paths out of this pandemic - one is to vaccinate and the other is natural infection. Don't know about you all, but I am desperate to see borders and businesses reopen. Count me in for a vaccine even with modest side effects.
Old 23-11-2020, 17:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesspursuit View Post
All this sounds like the first step in mandating vaccination before you can go anywhere. Put your hand up if you want to be first because I want to see the side effects first. How many get sick or die from the vaccine? Or permanently disabled. Then do they want to chip you? So much for the free life of cruising.
FYI. I would expect that freedom from travel restrictions or to return to workplaces will be dependent on having had a vaccination. By way of example:

International air travellers will in future need to prove they have been vaccinated against Covid-19 in order to board Qantas flights, the airline says.

The Australian flag carrier's boss, Alan Joyce, said the move would be "a necessity" when vaccines are available.

"I think that's going to be a common thing talking to my colleagues in other airlines around the globe," he said.

Australia shut down its international borders early in the pandemic and required those returning to quarantine.

The country has more recently relied on lockdowns, widespread testing and aggressive contact tracing to push daily infections nationwide close to zero

"We will ask people to have a vaccination before they can get on the aircraft... for international visitors coming out and people leaving the country we think that's a necessity,"

In August, Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison said it was likely that any successful vaccine would become "as mandatory as you could possibly make it". "There are always exemptions for any vaccine on medical grounds, but that should be the only basis,"
Old 24-11-2020, 15:36   #27

US State Department Travel Advisory November 24, 2020.

Travel Advisory – Traveling By Sea Near the British Virgin Islands.

U.S. Embassy Bridgetown advises travelers to exercise caution when traveling by sea near the British Virgin Islands including private/charter vessel day cruises. BVI borders are closed to U.S. tourists because of COVID restrictions and the government is strictly adhering to its border restrictions and COVID-19 protocols. Violating current restrictions and protocols may result in criminal charges including detention with the inability to disembark, significant fines, and boat seizure.

The current Travel Advisory Level for the British Virgin Islands is Level 3 – Reconsider Travel.
Old 24-11-2020, 16:26   #28

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Kd9truck, it doesn't matter what their reasoning is, they have screwed the pooch, killed the golden goose, and dicked themselves with the dangling dong of destiny. I donated money to BVI workers after Irma but no more. They made their beds, now let them sleep in them.

I agree! I supported them post Irma, now they can go f*ck themselves.
Old 24-11-2020, 17:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
I have Leopard 45 in charter with Sunsail in the BVI. I was planning to vacation there from Dec 1 (the first day they would be open) until the 25th. I was told that we couldn't arrive by boat from the US Virgin Islands and that only the airport on buck Island would be allowing any tourists in. . . . I called off my trip and rescheduled for the Exumas where the Covid protocol was much less severe (test before arrival, test five days after arrival) with no restrictions on where we could sail.
jim
Exuma has been placed in lockdown. Here are snipets of the most pertinent emergency orders from the Prime Minister. Especially reference 15(2)

Reference: https://opm.gov.bs/emergency-powers-...13-order-2020/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bahama emergency rule.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	227542   Click image for larger version

Name:	bahama emergency rule2.PNG
Views:	84
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	227543  

Old 25-11-2020, 08:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Kd9truck, it doesn't matter what their reasoning is, they have screwed the pooch, killed the golden goose, and dicked themselves with the dangling dong of destiny. I donated money to BVI workers after Irma but no more. They made their beds, now let them sleep in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDW View Post
I agree! I supported them post Irma, now they can go f*ck themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
So the government of the BVI should give up on trying to protect their own citizens, and let passing cruisers do whatever they want during this pandemic? Never mind that most every country on Earth has implemented many restrictions to protect their citizens, despite substantial economic consequences. The BVI should ashamed of doing anything that limits the choices of independent-minded cruisers? Isn't that a little self-centered?
Answer to the question. IMHO, it is a lot of self-centeredness and presumptuous sense of privilege.

Let us not forget that more borders are closed than open, just try to enter or leave the USA or Canada for example.

There is a pandemic, it is not a big ask to act responsibly and not selfishly.
Closed Thread

Tags
BVI