Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 14:46   #31

Boat: HOBIE 18
Exclamation Re: Sustainable Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Most people do not consider these as contaminants at the levels used in municipal systems.
No, they don't, but I do.

It wasn't until Fukushima that I learned about iodine, fluorine, chlorine, and bromine, and how these things impact ones thyroid gland.

Quote:
Halogens are a family of non-metal elements on the periodic table that share similar chemical properties. Three of these halogens are toxic to your body. These three toxic elements include Fluorine (think Fluoride), Chlorine, and Bromine. Another halogen is Iodine, which is the only halogen that the human body needs. Fluoride, Chlorine and Bromine are toxic in themselves, but are also highly detrimental because they tend to block your body’s Iodine receptors, and therefore prevent your body from absorbing the Iodine it needs.
https://beyondthyroidcancer.com/iodi...s-of-halogens/
Old 15-04-2019, 14:51   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Sustainable Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Kenny View Post
My problem with municipal water is the fluoride and chlorine and other contaminants.

Hence the RO filter for my drinking water.

Floride is a benefit. Ask the people who grew up on well water and have rotten teeth.

Chlorine is VERY easy to remove with carbon. By using a cheap ($15) NSF 53-rated filter, you can remove chlorine, cysts, and practically all bacteria and viruses (they are not rated for that, but they do--there are better filters rated for this for ~ $100). Seagull, is frankly, over priced for the new market. They are out of touch and not NSF rated.

Sail Delmarva: Drinking Water Filtration--The Short Version

But honestly, that is all just for taste. If you travel you can NOT reduce your heath risk more than about 80% with water filtration, no matter what you do. You will meet people, eat food, and breath air. WHO has studied this. You can't live in a blue bubble and shouldn't want to.
Old 15-04-2019, 15:06   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

It wasn't until Fukushima that I learned about iodine, fluorine, chlorine, and bromine, and how these things impact ones thyroid gland.
Whatever keeps you smilin’ . But I’m sure you realize most chemicals are toxic given high enough concentrations. Heck, oxygen and water are deadly at sufficient concentrations.
Old 15-04-2019, 15:18   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

...These three toxic elements include Fluorine (think Fluoride), Chlorine,...

https://beyondthyroidcancer.com/iodi...s-of-halogens/

...(think chloride)...

Guess I'd better cut Sodium Chloride completely out of my diet then.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 15:43   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
1)Floride is a benefit. Ask the people who grew up on well water and have rotten teeth.

2) Chlorine is VERY easy to remove with carbon. .
1. Fluoride is not required for healthy teeth. I have been fluoride free for over seven years and my teeth have never been healthier. Tooth health, and more importantly, bone health depends on vitamin K2, not the industrial toxic waste from aluminum smelting.

K2; https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...inally-solved/

https://neurogal.com/neuro-blog/is-f...c-to-the-brain

2) Yes, it is, which is why I run a carbon filter in front of my RO membrane.
Old 15-04-2019, 15:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
...(think chloride)...

Guess I'd better cut Sodium Chloride completely out of my diet then.
I was thinking maybe a chemistry class could help you understand the differences between the two.

Pour salt in one hand, and aqueous chlorine on the other, and tell me which one gets warm first.
Old 15-04-2019, 21:59   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I was thinking maybe a chemistry class could help you understand the differences between the two.

Pour salt in one hand, and aqueous chlorine on the other, and tell me which one gets warm first.

I don't need the help but the author of the quoted article does.

I was just pointing out the speciousness of "Fluorine (think Fluoride)" by doing the same thing with Chlorine/Chloride..

Put a couple of sodium fluoride tablets in one hand and ...
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 22:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Floride is a benefit. Ask the people who grew up on well water and have rotten teeth.
I grew up on well water and have all my teeth...including wisdom...no signs that I will lose them any time in the near future.

We do use bottled water but refill them from the tanks. We like cold water and it's easier to fit small bottles in the fridge. When they start getting noticeably worn, we replace them. We've tried "permanent" bottles but they don't seem to hold up noticeably better plus when you are out and about, you have to hang onto the bottle after you finish the water.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 05:29   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It’s hard to know what is made up and what’s real. But back in he states I see a number of Asian folks walking around with respirators on. What’s up with that?

I think it’s civic duty if you will. I think they may be sick or feel sick and are trying to not spread the sickness.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 05:34   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sustainable Sailing

Do you know how fluoridation of water to prevent caries (cavities) was discovered?
It’s naturally occurring in many Wells, and someone put two and two together about where fluoride was naturally occurring that there was a very low incidence of dental caries.

Too much of it however will stain your teeth brown. Reason a lot of people in West Tx have brown teeth, fluoride naturally occurs at a level much higher than is normal for threaded water.

Fluoridation of water, chlorine treatment and vaccinations have resulted in the healthiest people have ever been.
I for one do not want a return of the good old days of Cholera etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 06:39   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The custom of facemask-wearing began in Japan during the early years of the 20th century, when a massive pandemic of influenza killed between 20 and 40 million people around the world—more than died in World War I. There were outbreaks of the disease on every inhabited continent, including Asia (where it devastated India, leading to the deaths of a full 5% of the population). Covering the face with scarves, veils and masks became a prevalent (if ineffective) means of warding off the disease in many parts of the world, until the epidemic finally faded at the end of 1919.
Influenza victims crowd into an emergency hospital at Camp Funston, a subdivision of Fort Riley in Kansas, in 1918.

In Japan, a few years later, the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, triggered a massive inferno that consumed nearly 600,000 homes in the most populous part of the nation. After the quake, the sky was filled with smoke and ash for weeks, and air quality suffered for months afterward. Facemasks came out of storage and became a typical accessory on the streets of Tokyo and Yokohama. A second global flu epidemic in 1934 cemented Japan’s love affair with the facemask, which began to be worn with regularity during the winter months—primarily, given Japan’s obsession with social courtesy, by cough-and-cold victims seeking to avoid transmitting their germs to others, rather than healthy people looking to prevent the onset of illness.

Then, in the 1950s, Japan’s rapid post-World War II industrialization led to rampant air pollution and booming growth of the pollen-rich Japanese cedar, which flourished due to rising ambient levels of carbon dioxide. Mask-wearing went from seasonal affectation to year-round habit. Today, Japanese consumers buy $230 million in surgical masks a year, and neighboring countries facing chronic pollution issues—most notably China and Korea—have also adopted the practice.
Japanese consumers buy $230 million in surgical masks a year.

Of course, pollution is everywhere, as is airborne illness. So why has the mask-wearing trend primarily been limited to East Asian nations?

The underlying reason could be philosophical: All three countries have been broadly influenced by Taoism and the health precepts of Traditional Chinese Medicine, in which breath and breathing are seen as a central element in good health. “‘Qi’ is a central concept in Chinese cosmology—and thereby physiology—generally having to do with energy and vapor,” explains Michelle M. Ching, a board certified practitioner of acupuncture and herbal medicine based in Los Angeles. “Qi has numerous meanings in Chinese including ‘air’ [kong qi], ‘atmosphere’ [qi fen], ‘odor’ [qi wei], which is perhaps another reason masks are so necessary in China!, ‘strength’ [li qi] and ‘pathogen’ [xie qi]. When bodily qi is depleted, or its movement deranged, pain and disease develop. So breathing is critical in order to maintain good qi in the body.”

Meanwhile, the intake of “feng,” or noxious wind, is considered the most potent and common of TCM’s “Six External Causes” of disease. “Think about wind,” says Ching. “It can blow open doors, blow cool air off a body of water to the land surrounding it, or fire from one part of the forest to another. The door analogy relates to TCM’s understanding of how exposure to wind can weaken our body’s defenses.”(Perhaps as a permutation of these ideas, East Asia has numerous ancillary superstitions about air and wind, the most notable of which is a deathly fear of sleeping in rooms with running electric fans, a belief that has its epicenter in Korea, where “fan death” phobia remains rampant even today.)

The bottom line is that in East Asia, the predilection toward using face-coverings to prevent exposure to bad air is something that predates the germ theory of disease, and extends into the very foundations of East Asian culture. In recent years, however, mask-wearing has become rooted in new and increasingly postmodern rationales.

Studies have found that among many young Japanese, masks have evolved into social firewalls; perfectly healthy teens now wear them, along with audio headsets, to signal a lack of desire to communicate with those around them. This is particularly true for young women seeking to avoid harassment on public transit, who also appreciate the relative anonymity the masks provide.

Masks are even becoming an element of East Asian style: In Japan, surgical masks bearing chic designs or the images of cute licensed characters can be purchased in every corner drugstore, while last month at China Fashion Week, designer Yin Peng unveiled a line of “smog couture” clothese paired with a variety of masks, from Vader-esque ventilators to whole-head riot-gear rebreathers.

So who knows? As pollution, climate change and pandemic illness become a routine aspect of our global reality, we may soon see facemask fashion go viral (excuse the pun) in Western countries as well.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 07:16   #42

Boat: Islander 36

I too avoid plastic waste: I just use the water tanks, save any grocery store plastics to reuse where I can, make sure no trash goes into the water — but trip on the fact that my boat, sails and most of my lines are all plastic...
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 08:31   #43

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...Too much of it however will stain your teeth brown. Reason a lot of people in West Tx have brown teeth, fluoride naturally occurs at a level much higher than is normal for threaded water..
Exactly. As I said, just about anything is toxic at sufficient levels. It is a logical fallacy to equate toxicity at some level to toxicity at all levels. And clearly the human body benefits from a range of chemicals at various concentrations. The research on the beneficial uses of flouride in the water systems is long. The research showing negative outcomes are few and generally dubious. As with all things is science, nothing is 100% settled, but the vast predominance of research shows clear benefit to most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Fluoridation of water, chlorine treatment and vaccinations have resulted in the healthiest people have ever been.
I for one do not want a return of the good old days of Cholera etc.
I haven’t looked into this specifically, but I’d bet there is a strong correlation between the anti-fluoride/chlorine folks and the anti-vaccinations movement.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:44   #44

Boat: Hunter 340

I have never bought a bottle of water in my life and don't plan to. Buying bottled water is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. When I'm in my home, I drink water from the tap. When I'm on my boat, I drink water from the tank. Apart from being obstinate, stubborn and off by half a bubble, I'm perfectly normal.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 09:09   #45

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I have never bought a bottle of water in my life and don't plan to. Buying bottled water is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. When I'm in my home, I drink water from the tap. When I'm on my boat, I drink water from the tank. Apart from being obstinate, stubborn and off by half a bubble, I'm perfectly normal.
We buy a reverse osmosis under counter system for everywhere we live, and a water cooler. We never buy water bottles, we process cistern or tap water with the system.
When I showed our local crew in Nevis how we make water, the declared they don't drink tap water and refused to drink it. They buy cases of little plastic bottles of water and throw them everywhere on the job site. They'll drink untreated cistern water but not reverse osmosis water.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing