Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 09:01   #271

Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAEguy View Post
Don't appreciate the identity theft Ken..
Old 22-09-2016, 08:38   #272

Boat: sunmagic44

My wife and I sailed across from Sri Lanka ,Gulf of Aden and up Red Sea last March,2016. We were not in convoy but were in touch with nine other yachts in the area.None of us had any problems.We stopped in Massawa,Eritrea,and Suakin ,Sudan.The people could not have been nicer to us.The Russian we heard was arrested because he anchored in the island reserve off Massawa without a permit.These are volatile places who have been through rough times,respect their rules and they will be glad of your visit.
Google our blog "laragh456" for details of our most enjoyable cruise.
Davehen

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
davehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 12:55   #273

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehen View Post
My wife and I sailed across from Sri Lanka ,Gulf of Aden and up Red Sea last March,2016. We were not in convoy but were in touch with nine other yachts in the area.None of us had any problems.We stopped in Massawa,Eritrea,and Suakin ,Sudan.The people could not have been nicer to us.The Russian we heard was arrested because he anchored in the island reserve off Massawa without a permit.These are volatile places who have been through rough times,respect their rules and they will be glad of your visit.
Davehen

Nice blog writeup on the Red Sea passage. The Suez Canal sounds like a bit of a hassle. So after making the passage how has your opinion of the saftey/security in the area changed?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 17:58   #274

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehen View Post
Davehen

An interesting blog with lots of useful detail about your experiences. Well done . I will definitely follow now and go back over your Indian ocean leg.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-09-2016, 04:25   #275

Boat: sunmagic44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Nice blog writeup on the Red Sea passage. The Suez Canal sounds like a bit of a hassle. So after making the passage how has your opinion of the saftey/security in the area changed?
Paul,we made our decision based on the reported facts at the time.These stats are well documented and the piracy issue seems to be under control at the moment.The taskforce mandate is to be reviewed at the end of 2016,I would watch this.There are a lot of emotive sensationalist reports out there ,I suppose resulting from the tragic incidents in the past.We visited the island of Socotra which was at the centre of the problem some years ago.The people could not have been more welcoming and security was not a worry.We heard shelling coming from Yemen to the east of us as we sailed through the narrow southern end of the Red Sea.We hugged the west side.
I am not recommending anything,just reporting our own experience last March.
A skipper makes his own call.
davehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:39   #276

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It sounds to me like piracy may be down, but other threats may be increasing.

Yemeni Rebels Destroy UAE Military Logistics Ship in Red Sea – gCaptain
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy