Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 18:35   #106

Quote:
safe is not a place... it's a state of mind...
Old 14-07-2010, 21:49   #107

Boat: 42 US YACHT
Motion Detectors for your cockpit and foredeck.

I just checked at the local hardware store and they have motion detectors available for $25.00.

They have a 15 foot range, take a 9 volt battery and you can set them to make a squeal or a sound a loud horn.

For about $50 Bucks you can set one on the foredeck and one in the cockpit.

Just set them up before you go to bed and they'll make a racket when someone gets on the boat.
boatrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:35   #108
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatrips View Post
I just checked at the local hardware store and they have motion detectors available for $25.00.

They have a 15 foot range, take a 9 volt battery and you can set them to make a squeal or a sound a loud horn.

For about $50 Bucks you can set one on the foredeck and one in the cockpit.

Just set them up before you go to bed and they'll make a racket when someone gets on the boat.
I think that is a great idea. They also make a lot of wireless security systems where the only part that is powered is the main key panel. It would draw very little power so if you leave a small inverter on, it would power the system. These then have dedicated alarm horns and panic buttons. Amazon has them for less then $150.
Old 15-07-2010, 06:46   #109

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
safe is not a place... it's a state of mind...
I'm making a note to add "safe" to the list of states you can be in and still be robbed and beaten. I'll insert it between Alabama and Mississippi.

Zen is great, but buddhists are still emotionally human - both violent and victims of violence.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:59   #110
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
You all misunderstand.

You can be in danger anywhere. In your bedroom, asleep, in the middle of the night.

To be safe you must take responsibility for *making* yourself safe. No matter where you are, even in the most dangerous location you can take steps to avoid, minimize, abate and eliminate risks.

You can't get them all, all the time, but you can, by using your mind, and thru your attitude reduce significantly the odds of being a victim.

I expect the friend in Afghanistan knows this better than anyone...

You can be in danger anywhere. It is foolish in my book to make a list of *safe places* because bad things happen everywhere. Being somewhere on that list doesn't make you safe. Keep in mind that good things happen everywhere as well, and often in the most unexpected places. You make yourself safe where ever you are. Or you don't.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 07:42   #111
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
You all misunderstand.

You can be in danger anywhere. It is foolish in my book to make a list of *safe places* because bad things happen everywhere. Being somewhere on that list doesn't make you safe. Keep in mind that good things happen everywhere as well, and often in the most unexpected places. You make yourself safe where ever you are. Or you don't.
I think that where you miss the point is that there is a higher likelihood of something bad happening at certain times and places.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 15:26   #112

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
You all misunderstand.

You can be in danger anywhere. In your bedroom, asleep, in the middle of the night.

To be safe you must take responsibility for *making* yourself safe. No matter where you are, even in the most dangerous location you can take steps to avoid, minimize, abate and eliminate risks.

You can't get them all, all the time, but you can, by using your mind, and thru your attitude reduce significantly the odds of being a victim.

Wow. I completely agree with everything you said here, including that I misunderstood that you were trying to say all this with your "state of mind" post.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 10:01   #113
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
It sounds like Mike is getting better and ready to move on:

David,
That is so kind of you to offer me your reserve laptop.
I discovered that my credit cards were not taken from their hiding place and they work, so was able to buy a replacement MacBook here at Blue Point. The Indian owner heard of my plight and gave me a good deal.
Thanks for the well wishes. I am healing very well, the pain is mostly gone and i can chew again. I have one more appointment with the face surgeon and then I will head south to the Grenadines.
I won't be here after next week, but thanks for the offer. I will return to the area in November for the new season.
Mike Harker
WanderLust 3
Old 16-07-2010, 12:32   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks for the update, Palarran.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 17:14   #115

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Glad to hear that his recent experiences hasn't diminished his drive. I second Gord thanks Palarran!

Regards
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:51   #116

Boat: trojan,sportfisherman,36
this is a sad story!!!! I'm glad I have my english mastiff on my boat and my ar15. I know alot of people are against guns but I'm in the army and when I get out in december I will surely want to protect my self.
barryfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 12:25   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfish View Post
my ar15...
I'd advise checking out Mexican firearms regulations, prior to moving to Cozumel.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...l-40170-2.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 19:49   #118

Boat: Catalina 30
After 15 years of cruising both the eastern Caribbean and the western parts also, my wife and I bought a condo in St. Croix and moved off our Idylle 15.5. Many of those years were spent living aboard and at our mooring in Christinsted Harbor. Never did notice any theft around me. We used to go to Puerto La Cruz quite a lot and even have a sister that has a place there.
After Chavez told the people via both radio and TV that it was OK to Steal from the rich, crime went up exponentially. We currently have a house guest that came up from Venezuela after their boat was boarded in an overnight anchorage in Isla Borracha. Her husband was shot and killed as soon as they were boarded. There was no resistance from their part. Both her Beneteau 473 and our Idylle 15.5 are currently on the hard in Nanny Cay, Tortola for sale. We had allthe bell and whistles.
Cayenne III will no longer take us to all the wonderful ilands in the Caribbean. Safest place we visited was Cuba.
I did buy an old J-36 to continue cruising and racing closer to home.
cayennita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 21:21   #119

Send a message via Skype™ to oceangypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennita View Post
After 15 years of cruising both the eastern Caribbean and the western parts also, my wife and I bought a condo in St. Croix and moved off our Idylle 15.5. Many of those years were spent living aboard and at our mooring in Christinsted Harbor. Never did notice any theft around me. We used to go to Puerto La Cruz quite a lot and even have a sister that has a place there.
Just curious Cap... do you feel "safer" in your condo than you did at anchor? BTW, say hi to our friend w/the Bene for sale for me. Hope to get back to STX soon.

Quote:
You all misunderstand.

To be safe you must take responsibility for *making* yourself safe. No matter where you are...

I completely agree w/ Sarafina... safety is a perception not a reality...it is up to each individual to "feel safe"... many people don't think even the act of going to sea is "safe" yet they happily drive at 70mph+ to and from work and feel safe doing it.
oceangypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 21:36   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennita View Post
Cayenne III will no longer take us to all the wonderful ilands in the Caribbean.
Because of the sale or the environment??
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain