Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2009, 05:38   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 40cc
Laura (13) Ready for Solo 'Round the World

Laura Dekker a 13y old girl from the Netherlands will start the 1st of September 2009 for a circumnavigation. She was raised aboard their parents sailboat while they were doing a circumnavigation and back in Holland her father bought her a Hurley 700 and she sailed around the inland waters and crossing the North Sea channel to the UK and back on her own. In the media she appeared to be a very capable, clever and sensible girl very well trained by her father...but...but...there are rules concerning compulsory education and the dutch organization for the protection of children (Kinderbescherming) brought this case to court and the judge will decide today to let her go or not. What's your opinion if she was your daughter ?
I say: ok, i'll light a candle each day you'r at sea but: GO for it girl !
Follow her on her website: LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! (alive soon)
sokkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 05:45   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
If she entered US waters for instance, would authorities take her into care in the way they would on land if her parent/s/guardian were not present to be her legal carer? Im not doubting her sailing abilities but questioning the legal status.
Old 24-08-2009, 05:47   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
13 years old! looks like a race to be the younger child to circunnavigate ,13 is a baby, but if she is ready to do that, Go for it!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 05:56   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Shaking head.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 06:17   #5

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
No way. There's plenty of time to circumnavigate when she's >18. Don't give this meme the attention it so craves.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 06:19   #6

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
She looks young and small.

Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 07:40   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
13 is just a number of years. real question is her maturity. i have a brother who is 44 and i wouldnt trust him to walk past a liquor store much less circumnavigate the globe. some 13 y/o yes others no. problem is the price she pays if she cant do it. i would be afraid if my daughter wanted to do it -- but i would make sure she had the knowledge/skills she needed and then say yes as i cholked back tears.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 07:47   #8

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Nuts! Completely and utterly Nuts! Maturity AND ability apply and I'm not talking just seamanship. Body strength and endurance ability are also significant if not determining factors.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 07:59   #9

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
What kind of an idiot would let their child do this? Some people just should not be allowed to be parents.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 08:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You guys probably already know my opinion.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 08:04   #11

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
What is she trying to prove and whos approval is she trying to gain? I wouldnt let my 13 yr old daughter run away to sea alone.
Old 24-08-2009, 08:53   #12

Boat: 33ft sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
13 is just a number of years. real question is her maturity. i have a brother who is 44 and i wouldnt trust him to walk past a liquor store much less circumnavigate the globe. some 13 y/o yes others no. problem is the price she pays if she cant do it. i would be afraid if my daughter wanted to do it -- but i would make sure she had the knowledge/skills she needed and then say yes as i cholked back tears.
Charlie, I have put your heartwarming reply on the biggest sailor's forum of Holland.
Because everyone is square against her planned voyage and meanwhile the Dutch Government is already interfering. Nevertheless, I have a friend who has a granddaughter with similar capacities although she is not older than 9 or 10.
What to say......
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 09:53   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is so predictable. I should start buying Lotto tickets. I don't think the people involved are prepared for a very real possibility.

Old 24-08-2009, 09:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
What is she trying to prove and whos approval is she trying to gain? I wouldnt let my 13 yr old daughter run away to sea alone.
My great uncle ran away to sea at the same kind of age. When he was caught and taken home, he just bade his time and ran away again; went further, and didn't come home for a long time.

Of course, he didn't try single handing the square riggers that were all the rage back then. He would probably approve of Laura: but I think we've over done the single handed romance. It would make more sense to have small crews. They'd have to finish before becoming 16, wouldn't they?

If the court stops her: she'll have to try again during a school vacation, from a more mature country. France or Spain would do? If not there is always Brazil.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:01   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Mature" is allowing a child to do something which could quite possibly result in death? I consider that to be "irresponsible" which is a sign of immaturity.

Does anyone who is for this acknowledge that the younger they are the more likely they are to die?

How far must his be pushed for it to make any sense?

Why not stop now before someone dies?

Why does it seem to be the case that in out society that a tragedy must occur first before action is taken to prevent it from happening again? Isn't being proactive better then being reactive?

Tags
round the world