Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2009, 10:21   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Somebody please post the name and if possible the address of this child's parents - I'd like to personally beat the crap out of them for being so negligent. The only thing for which I feel sorry is that I doubt I'd get there first.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:27   #17

Nuts ! there were no 13 yr olds on the Mayflower, were there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Nuts! Completely and utterly Nuts! Maturity AND ability apply and I'm not talking just seamanship. Body strength and endurance ability are also significant if not determining factors.
I'd agree that people from the United Kingdom, where I grew up and the United States should not encourage their children to sail around the world single handed. We have the weakest and stupidest children in our history. Not their fault. About 1/3rd have a measurable disability: mental or physical.

Small crews would work 100 times better. Away from pollution the children would have a chance of growing stronger and doing their school work well... Laura has already done that once...
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:27   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's a big difference between running away to sea (or to join the circus, or the army, or whatever), doing so quietly and without fanfare, and starting a website, soliciting donations, doing interviews and trying to get your name in the Guiness Book of World Records.

TaoJones
Old 24-08-2009, 10:47   #19

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
There's a reason why children under 18 aren't held responsible for their actions. It's because they're children. I don't care how "special" the parents think their child is. It's still a child.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:48   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41
at fourteen I would have tried it. Age is so totally random. It is just set up in books for laws. It is used to quantify. Yes there is a real chance that she could die. Just like there is a chance that you could die walking across the sreet. I don't think that it is wise for any 13 year old child to do it but some can. I don't have a particuilar opinion on this child. Joan of Arc was 17 when she led the forces of France. Zac Sunderland was 16 when he started sailing around the world. Yes it is possible she will make it as well. If it were my daughter I would want her to take a safe route -- thru the canal and i would want her to have some places to bail out if she decided it was too much but i feel modern society coddles children way too much. in the US it is especially bad. I am afflicted by coddling as well.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:53   #21

"There's a big difference between running away to sea (or to join the circus, or the army, or whatever), doing so quietly and without fanfare, and starting a website, soliciting donations, doing interviews and trying to get your name in the Guiness Book of World Records.

TaoJones"

The army and the circus both make a big fanfare. Why shouldn't we do the same at sea ? We do have some big challenges to overcome this next 25 years, or so. Some of us will do it quietly, some not.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 11:08   #22

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Tell ya'll what...use your search engine of choice for "Tried as Adult" and tell me what ages come up in the headlines...that is one pretty telling measure of what governments really think qualifies as "Adult". I'll give you a hint...its no where near 18. Life Prison Sentences have been handed out to kids her age.
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 11:13   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wade View Post
"There's a big difference between running away to sea (or to join the circus, or the army, or whatever), doing so quietly and without fanfare, and starting a website, soliciting donations, doing interviews and trying to get your name in the Guiness Book of World Records.

TaoJones"

The army and the circus both make a big fanfare. Why shouldn't we do the same at sea ? We do have some big challenges to overcome this next 25 years, or so. Some of us will do it quietly, some not.
You have apparently misunderstood the point I was making. When your great uncle ran away to sea, I doubt it was announced in advance, nor did he ask for contributions to aid him in his adventure, nor did the media of the day publish anything about it. It was his personal choice, and he did it quietly to satisfy some inner urge.

If these young people, bent on solo circumnavigating, are truly motivated by some similar urge that they must attempt to satisfy, and not by some ill-conceived quest for "fame" or "respect," or some other dubious wish, then why don't they just quietly go about their business?

Surely, you can see what a huge difference this is.

TaoJones
Old 24-08-2009, 11:23   #24

Boat: 33ft sloop
The English have a long tradition and history of going early to see - as do the Dutch.

In the 17th and 18th, even the 19th century it was quite normal to find a number of midshipman of around the age of 12 on board of the man 'o war's.
Where in the US kids of minor age are running and killing at will on the streets, this kid wants to sail.
We know that the oceans now are more unsafe than in the 19th century.

So let it be.

Tomorrow there will be a ruling of the court who handles this case.
Let 'see what's happening then.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 11:28   #25

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Quote:
13 is just a number of years. real question is her maturity
Actually - its all about experience. Now I am sure that someone will say that people have sailed without experience in the past. That is true, but they had life experience even if they had little sailing experience. A 13 year-old has little of either.

Anyone can land an airplane. A pilot has the skills to do it repeatedly, and everyone else would merely be lucky.

If they want to put another boat with her and follow her in the event somthing does happen? Well, she is not going alone I suppose, but then again, at 13 we rarely let them drive, drink, own a gun or any number of things an adult can do. Because they lack the understanding of the risks and consequences.

Wishes are not goals and luck is not a plan.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 11:34   #26

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
The English have a long tradition and history of going early to see - as do the Dutch.

In the 17th and 18th, even the 19th century it was quite normal to find a number of midshipman of around the age of 12 on board of the man 'o war's...
Yeah, it was also quite normal to see slavery.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 11:36   #27
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
MacG, The Dutch and the English have strong sea-going traditions, but I don't think any nation has a history of sending 13 year old girls to sea alone.

The issue isn't simply age or maturity level. It's having tried and true experience handling a boat in extreme conditions, the ability to make repairs when equipment fails, having the endurance and physical strength to perform tasks that are easy in port, but difficult in the middle of a gale at sea, etc., etc.

I don't know this little girl or her abilities. I do think that the age of 13 implies that her depth of experience with the above items may be a bit on the light side. Or maybe not; I just don't know.

I can say that I wouldn't have allowed my daughter to take such risks at such a young age.
Old 24-08-2009, 11:49   #28

Boat: 33ft sloop
Of course, but in this case although I have to agree with a number of the disadvantages of her age I just am very curious what the ruling of the court will be - tomorrow. I have, somewhere, a strange feeling that she might convince the people who are firewalling her trip with similar and completely justified arguments like yours.

I just admire courageous people .........
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 12:28   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
It takes courage to be a parent, not a childs enabling best friend.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 12:56   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Now hold on a bit...

When I was 13 I was driving, held down 2 part time jobs and one full time job and was saving money for school in the fall. (New Mexico allows a motorcycle license to a 13 yo)
People mature at different rates, and don't underestimate a 13 year old.
I do worry about the isolation on a 13 yo's psyche though....teens need socialization.
And yeah Tao, Nobody new I was that young where I worked, and I didn't make a web page about it. In fact I saw my first PC 7 years later
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world