Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2016, 07:35   #151

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: FL boaters get ready to fight again.....

It appears that the governor has signed these bills into law. Thanks to everyone who participated. Will be watching the implementation and enforcement.

Mod's please un-sticky this thread.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 08:37   #152

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Not to be stupid but are you saying it's going to be illegal to anchor in florida? Or is it only in certain spots?
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 08:43   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Not to be stupid but are you saying it's going to be illegal to anchor in florida?
No, only if your boat costs less than the house whose view it is blocking.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 08:48   #154

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Not to be stupid but are you saying it's going to be illegal to anchor in florida?
It will be unlawful to anchor overnight in the areas mentioned in the bill, Sunset Lake in Miami Beach and the Middle River in Ft Lauderdale and a few other places. It will be interesting to see how they are implemented and enforced.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 08:57   #155

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
It will be unlawful to anchor overnight in the areas mentioned in the bill, Sunset Lake in Miami Beach and the Middle River in Ft Lauderdale and a few other places. It will be interesting to see how they are implemented and enforced.
Thanks for the quick response. I was re-reading but I was worried I might have missed something.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:29   #156

Re: Mummy-looking dead man found in yacht off Philippines

To add confusion to the story, the autopsy done showed that he was dead and mummified in a week but sailors in a race reported him dead and in a decomposing state almost a month before near Guam I believe. They reported it to race authorities and were told to get on with the race, nothing they could do, and they would report it to the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard reports that they were never notified.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Roseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:23   #157
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseboat View Post
To add confusion to the story, the autopsy done showed that he was dead and mummified in a week but sailors in a race reported him dead and in a decomposing state almost a month before near Guam I believe. They reported it to race authorities and were told to get on with the race, nothing they could do, and they would report it to the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard reports that they were never notified.

Nooooo thats NOT what was reported. They reported the boat seemed to be adrift or abandoned. And I don't believe it was a month
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:55   #158

On January 31 Clipper Race sailors found the boat near Guam. One of the sailors swam to the boat and found the decomposing body inside. The rest of the story is as I posted.

Roseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 11:01   #159

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

What unadulterated bull***t.

There is a reason that nautical laws and issues have been distinguished from ALL land borne matters for the entirety of the history of man. Nautical wayfaring is an entity unto itself with no land-based equivalent. PERIOD!

If you give these wealthy land-owning narcissistic egomaniacs an inch they will eat it along with your liver, some fava beans and a nice bottle of Chianti. Get it? They will declare the dangers of 'second-hand sailing' as if you were poisoning their environment by your very presence. What a crock of CRAP! I do mean CRAP!

By the way, if you for a moment think that this will begin and end in Florida, let me add you to my list of people that should immediately qualify for the Darwin awards.

Now, would you like to know what I really think?
Old 24-10-2016, 06:57   #160

I agree CareKnot. I would hope that someone in Florida would challenge this in federal court, on the basis that a state cannot put restrictions on navigable waters like this. But that will require someone who has "standing" (that is, who has been fined under this new law) and also who has deep enough pockets to pay the attorney's fees if they lose (which I certainly do not!).

In the meantime, I guess the good news is that the state has said that individual cities and counties cannot just pass any law that they like. These few restrictions exist within state law, but any future restrictions will also require a change to state law. Had they allowed local jurisdictions to pass anchoring laws you'd soon have a patchwork-quilt that absolutely no one would ever be able to keep track of!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 22:24   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I agree CareKnot. I would hope that someone in Florida would challenge this in federal court, on the basis that a state cannot put restrictions on navigable waters like this.

That was the next step last time but it never got past Florida high court. Hence we got the pilot program which allowed the towns to get rid of the bum boats if they put in a mooring field which has been a fail in several places.Sarasota had a company put in a bunch of screw mooring but they were found to be a fail but the money had already been paid and key west still has issues with the bum boats but has a large mooring field.Bootkey seems in good shape.

Get rid of bum boat the legal way is very expensive. Much more so than cars.Frankly why some masked good citizens dont tow them out a couple miles and turn them into a impromptu reef is beyond me

Frankly all these issues have been about bum boats except one
https://books.google.com/books?id=3d...0fight&f=false

this guy got his own personal bill passed now.

The Destin issue was about a constant sandbar issue where powerboaters wont leave room for the cops and fire dept to get in there to haul the injured drunks out of the water on sundays.The third spot has something to do with nighttime water skiing which I never got

The biggest issue on this bill was the 200 foot setback rule which would have effected the whole state.Thankfully that was removed.
parrotsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 07:34   #162

Boat: C&C 37/CB

There are so many issues that could be dealt with, but this lesgisation is definitely trying to protect wealthy landowners. Sad, but no surprise.

A huge proportion of jobs in Florida rely on transient population - including cruisers. It is irresponsible of the government to forget this.

If Florida makes it difficult for transient cruisers to visit, these cruisers (and their money) will go elsewhere...

I would support the idea of a state cruising permit - if some shore side facilities were provided. I feel this would be a much better solution - particularly from an environmental point of view.

Never expect governments to act for the general good. They are always protecting their self interests.
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 09:13   #163

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
*SNIP*

I would support the idea of a state cruising permit - if some shore side facilities were provided. I feel this would be a much better solution - particularly from an environmental point of view.

Never expect governments to act for the general good. They are always protecting their self interests.
ANOTHER LAYER OF BUREAUCRACY? Are you kidding me? They have more than enough laws on the books to protect the environment and MANAGE the lives of Cruisers.

The way to manage politicians is to put super glue in their Preparation H. They are already so full of it, when they explode we could label them for what they really are: terrorist!

Now, do you want to know what I really think?
Old 20-04-2017, 10:36   #164

Boat: C&C 37/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
ANOTHER LAYER OF BUREAUCRACY? Are you kidding me? ...

The way to manage politicians is to put super glue in their Preparation H. They are already so full of it, when they explode we could label them for what they really are: terrorist!
I like your solution if it weren't that these politicians would just be replaced by others...

I'd pay for decent dinghy docks, access to water and a few showers. This may be a burden for long-term anchor folks - but with politicians - money talks. Many Caribbean countries are doing the same.

It's the carrot or the stick. Better that cruisers are seen as a valued asset and not a burden... It would be nice if small business owners showed support - but more likely that marina owners will win the day on that one...
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 23:47   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
I'd pay for decent dinghy docks, access to water and a few showers. This may be a burden for long-term anchor folks - but with politicians - money talks. ...
You are paying. Access points, boat launches public docks pump out boats and stations are all payed for by the federal and state taxes on boating and fishing equipment etc
parrotsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, yacht