Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2021, 13:53   #256

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Dismasted by an aircraft carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
No mention of flight operations made in government report:
https://www.premar-mediterranee.gouv...s-toulonnaises

Report says the CDG was on a training mission and that the collision will not affect the mission. The report does not say what the training mission was for.

If planes were taking off or landing, the Polish skipper, who was awake but below on his boat, would certainly have heard them over the sound of his own engine well before any collision with the CDG. I have sailed off Hyères and seen jets taking off from and landing at the airbase near there. The planes can be heard from miles away.
No mention that they weren't conducting flight ops either. Pretty big leap that the solo sailor would hear anything - or if planes are flying around and can be heard from miles away, why that would then alert him to the presence of a carrier.

Probably need to wait for the investigation before we can say anything with certainty.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 16:26   #257

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say10 View Post
Oh Man! I hope your okay, next time I’ll be sure to check with you before posting. Here’s a tissue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What however does being a private pilot have to do with it?
Another example of the self-important but irrelevant appeal to authority we see at times here. Generally a good indication that the poster doesn't really know what he is talking about.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 20:00   #258

Quote:
I think everyone in this thread is thoroughly familiar with how AIS works.

And yes, it's completely different from radar. That was indeed the point.

What however does being a private pilot have to do with it? You don't have AIS (TCAS and ADS are completely different), nor do you have the same kind of radar we do (yours is for weather, not collision avoidance or navigation). Aircraft collision avoidance is a fundamentally different process from what we do on the sea.

Your rock solid understanding is deeply flawed on both technologies.
Say10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 20:09   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Another example of the self-important but irrelevant appeal to authority we see at times here. Generally a good indication that the poster doesn't really know what he is talking about.
I’ll make it shorter for you. Radar isn’t in my plane but AIS is. It’s also required by the FAA for certain areas. Kinda telling.

I like that song your singing me… very nice.
Old 25-11-2021, 00:49   #260

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I’ll make it shorter for you. Radar isn’t in my plane but AIS is. It’s also required by the FAA for certain areas. Kinda telling.

Please provide a reference.

I'm aware of the FAA's Aviation Information System (AIS) and their Aeronatuical Information Services (AIS) but I have been unable to find any information concerning the FAA and use of the maritime Automatic Identification System (AIS) by aircraft.
Old 25-11-2021, 01:43   #261

Really? How did you do your research?
Old 25-11-2021, 03:04   #262

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Really? How did you do your research?

I take it you don't have a reference then?
Old 25-11-2021, 05:12   #263

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

ADS-B in planes is not the same as AIS, although it serves much of the same purpose.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 09:17   #264

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Please provide a reference.

I'm aware of the FAA's Aviation Information System (AIS) and their Aeronatuical Information Services (AIS) but I have been unable to find any information concerning the FAA and use of the maritime Automatic Identification System (AIS) by aircraft.
I think the poster is deeply confused -- confusing Aviation Information System with our Automatic Identification System, two utterly and completely different systems having nothing whatsoever to do with each other, with not even similar functions.

Our AIS (Automatic Identification System) IS found on some aircraft, and even broadcasts on some -- but this is only for SAR aircraft, not private planes.

We are wasting our time engaging this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 09:22   #265

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
ADS-B in planes is not the same as AIS, although it serves much of the same purpose.

Indeed, but it works according to completely different principles, not surprising since collision avoidance is carried in the air according to completely different principles.

There is a system on planes called AIS. But this is the Aeronautical Information System. See: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...section_1.html
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-11-2021, 11:23   #266

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Indeed, but it works according to completely different principles, not surprising since collision avoidance is carried in the air according to completely different principles.

There is a system on planes called AIS. But this is the Aeronautical Information System. See: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...section_1.html
Sounds much the same to me
'What is ADS-B?

ADS-B is a broadcast surveillance system in which an aircraft automatically transmits to a ground station and other air traffic its identity, precise location, altitude, velocity and other information. The system requires an aircraft to be fitted with systems such as a barometric encoder and global navigation satellite system (GNSS) equipment. '
That is from CASA but what would they know
https://www.casa.gov.au/book-page/ch...ance-and-ads-b

This is just from wiki
'The automatic identification system (AIS) is an automatic tracking system that uses transceivers on ships and is used by vessel traffic services (VTS). When satellites are used to detect AIS signatures, the term Satellite-AIS (S-AIS) is used. AIS information supplements marine radar, which continues to be the primary method of collision avoidance for water transport.[citation needed] Although technically and operationally distinct, the ADS-B system is analogous to AIS and performs a similar function for aircraft.

OK pedants, carry on.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 11:40   #267

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Our AIS (Automatic Identification System) IS found on some aircraft, and even broadcasts on some -- but this is only for SAR aircraft, not private planes.
Here in Oz the helicopters that take pilots out to incoming ships broadcast marine AIS. Kind of unnerving to see a "ship" on a collision course with you making 120 knots and with time to CPA 30 seconds!

Jim
Old 25-11-2021, 11:49   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Here in Oz the helicopters that take pilots out to incoming ships broadcast marine AIS. Kind of unnerving to see a "ship" on a collision course with you making 120 knots and with time to CPA 30 seconds!

Jim
That's all very well and good Jim but is a helicopter in commercial service a 'private plane'??????
Old 25-11-2021, 11:53   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
No mention that they weren't conducting flight ops either. Pretty big leap that the solo sailor would hear anything - or if planes are flying around and can be heard from miles away, why that would then alert him to the presence of a carrier.

Probably need to wait for the investigation before we can say anything with certainty.
I doubt if any investigation -probably already completed - will every make the news.

We know the yachtsman was below but has anyone considered that with sun just rising somewhere south of east the yacht may have been right 'up sun'.
Old 25-11-2021, 12:28   #270

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Sounds much the same to me
'What is ADS-B?

ADS-B is a broadcast surveillance system in which an aircraft automatically transmits to a ground station and other air traffic its identity, precise location, altitude, velocity and other information. The system requires an aircraft to be fitted with systems such as a barometric encoder and global navigation satellite system (GNSS) equipment. '
That is from CASA but what would they know
https://www.casa.gov.au/book-page/ch...ance-and-ads-b

This is just from wiki
'The automatic identification system (AIS) is an automatic tracking system that uses transceivers on ships and is used by vessel traffic services (VTS). When satellites are used to detect AIS signatures, the term Satellite-AIS (S-AIS) is used. AIS information supplements marine radar, which continues to be the primary method of collision avoidance for water transport.[citation needed] Although technically and operationally distinct, the ADS-B system is analogous to AIS and performs a similar function for aircraft.

OK pedants, carry on.

ADS-B and AIS work in completely different ways, and how could it be otherwise, as collision avoidance is a totally different process in the air vs at sea. I'm not a licensed pilot, but I spent hundreds of hours in the right seat of a Pilatus PC-12, and then a Raytheon Premier One jet, and am pretty familiar with how it works, based on first hand experience.

But in any case, the poster insists that he has AIS in his plane, not ADS-B. Maybe it's a private SAR plane? Or maybe he's just trolling us?
Walt Whitman

Tags
mast