Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 04:28   #226

Boat: S&S design centercockpit 38, bluewater cruiser
Re: Common Sense Answer to Pirates

what type of weapon do you recommend on board a cruising sailboat? can the polish flare guns really fire a 12 guage shotgun shell?

Thanks.

Paul & Jan
Old 16-06-2011, 07:27   #227
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i figger whenallayouz with guns all shoot thru each others hulls, i will be sole cruiser left and world will be mine...i love my louisville slugger with gaff--is a multiuse tool.
such fear i am seeing in these postings--if you guys are so fearful, why go out cruising?
Old 16-06-2011, 07:47   #228

LOL, no fear here. I Just would never want to be unable to defend or protect those important to me if a really ugly situation were to develop in Mexico or Central America. I am not a gun person! Dont feel the need in my non cruising world. I own a speargun, thats it. But read much about bad guys off the Mexican coast these days! And that these inexpensive Polish flare pistols may be used as a last line of defense... however the slugger with a gaff is a great idea.

Thanks.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:52   #229

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimming out View Post
what type of weapon do you recommend on board a cruising sailboat? can the polish flare guns really fire a 12 guage shotgun shell?
A pump or semi-auto shotgun is certainly the easiest to carry, as it's the most accepted in the (few) places that allow you to have a firearm on board. But I'm not sure it's the best for Somali piracy...

Some have said that bringing it up at the last second, when the pirates are right alongside, & clearing the boat with 3-4 shells would work. I'm not sure I want to risk them getting that close with their AKs. I'm beginning to think that a long-range rifle, like the old Belgian semi-auto FN (or the more recent versions) firing the big NATO round (7.62x51mm) would be a better deterrant. Several rounds, fired at long range, would probably make the pirates seek an easier target. And if you're a good shot, that round is big enough to take out their outboard.

As some have said here, it's the knowledge that the gun is present that is the deterrant, not the actual use of that gun in a gunfight.

I would not attempt to fire a shotgun shell out of a plastic flare gun.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:54   #230

i am in mexico---i see nothing gonna happen to turistas without port capitan knowing and fixing.. tourists are the income and has fallen off a lot. if you are wondering about "what if" you arent cruising, you are in fear of cruising. nothing bad will happen if you keep yer eyes open and cruise with common sense--that is--DO NOT FLAUNT YOUR STUFF nor act as if something is gonna happen. because nothing will unless you are involved in drug cartel business.
you have a better chance of getting run over on a freeway than of finding something gonna happen to ye while cruising mexican waters.
btw--spearguns are not legal in mexico. louisville sluggers still are ..LOL.
btw--do not bring your shotgun or spear gun to mexico-- you could stand to lose your boat, freedom, and whatever you treasure most. they are serious.
Old 16-06-2011, 08:51   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
As some have said here, it's the knowledge that the gun is present that is the deterrant, not the actual use of that gun in a gunfight.

I would not attempt to fire a shotgun shell out of a plastic flare gun.
Ditto that. Appearances(or lack thereof) are the best deterrent. I remember reading about Slocum and how he would change his appearance to make someone think there were more than one person aboard. He would come up into the cockpit with different clothing and sit there with his rifle at hand.

Making people think that your boat is not such a prize and that taking it will not be easy so that the wolves will go to weaker prey seems like a good common sense approach even though it's a fine line of not making it into some sort of challenge/contest.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:59   #232
Vep

I've seen tests where firearms ammunition was fired out of flare guns and the flare guns always came apart upon firing, even when a sub-caliber adapter was used. My recommendation is to simply not attempt it. Besides, firearms ammo is typically in the same realm of legality of a firearm, so if you are going to carry some of that, you might as well carry a firearm. Having a secure, lockable, metal customs locker for your weapons secured to something solid like a bulkhead isn't a bad idea.
Old 16-06-2011, 10:14   #233
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

this is about the only type of flare pistol capable of firing shot,has exccelent deck clearing capabilities,but kicks like a mule.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0195.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	28597  
Old 16-06-2011, 20:27   #234

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this is about the only type of flare pistol capable of firing shot,has exccelent deck clearing capabilities,but kicks like a mule.....
And here is the USN issue, all metal barrel and breech.

And another........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flaregun.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	28617   Click image for larger version

Name:	remflgun1.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	28618  

Old 17-06-2011, 03:31   #235
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Unfortunately outside of the US carrying semi automatics is incredibly difficult and in some cases completely illegal. Witness the gun removed from a US cruiser in german waters, despite the fact he claimed it was for his red sea crossing.

Many flare guns come under firearms legislation, but acquiring ammunition definitely does.

Leaving aside the practicalities of using firearms, the hassle of legally cruising with them is the problem.

Dave
Old 17-06-2011, 05:57   #236

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

I agree that in most waters a gun or rifle or AK is illegal and in some places one could lose their boat; however in the waters off Central and South America if one is caught with a weapon, a little mordita (bribe) at the time of discovery will get the job done. What is very important here is never let them leave your vessel with your weapon and yourself. Even if you have to pay each person on the vessel of authority. It always works but the amount may vary from a little to alot. As one who has worked in over 10 latin countries or commonwealths, I will tell you, it is part of their culture. You name it and we have paid a bibie for it in order to get things done. Its why Mexico has such a large drug problem; because many in power are on the take. Its cultural. Forewarned is forearmed, it doesn't work accross the pond LOL. 'Remember this: Forget your USA culture and your values when dealing with authorities in Latin countries.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:18   #237

Hey Veehag, only "pneumatic" spearguns are illegal in Mex. Read the fishing regulations. Rubber band and spring spear guns are just fine and used by many many sport divers. Fish can only be taken "free diving". The same fishing license for above water covers spearfishing as well. All people on any boat with fishing gear must have fishing licenses, even if fishing gear is stowed away. even if just out for a day sail.. (so says the rule book)

Enjoy your mexico cruise.

Thanks, paul
Old 17-06-2011, 15:33   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimming out View Post
Hey Veehag, only "pneumatic" spearguns are illegal in Mex. Read the fishing regulations. Rubber band and spring spear guns are just fine and used by many many sport divers. Fish can only be taken "free diving". The same fishing license for above water covers spearfishing as well. All people on any boat with fishing gear must have fishing licenses, even if fishing gear is stowed away. even if just out for a day sail.. (so says the rule book)

Enjoy your mexico cruise.

Thanks, paul
the hawaiian sling, as it is known, is accepted in mexican waters. i know my mexican regs and i have my active fishing license for mexico for a year as i am here until fall.... if one does not have a license to fish in mexico and the boat is boarded, is not a good thing. they get nasty and business like after and during the search. was boarded in 1998-- good thing we were compliant..LOL....i didnt get boarded on my trip here to mazatlan... or to ensenada for that matter....also-- ye do not want to take shellfish or lobster from sea floor. is not permitted. they do not like poachers at all, and i have seen the results of poaching by mexicans --marines-- in bahia asuncion.....so--if you are coming here- be very careful to follow all laws closely.
at least they dropped the need for boat to have license as well as people.
thebest weapon inmexico is the camera and videocam-- take the pix and present to capitan del puerto-- they frown on messing with folks who bring outside money into mexico and will punish them. even the mention of showing pix to capitan del puerto is a good deterrent to the bandido criminals inn ensenada--an elsewhere in mexico--LOL
Old 17-06-2011, 16:31   #239

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomic View Post
"In 2006, 642 people died in the United States from the accidental discharge of firearms."

Yep, and as I said, around 20,000 gun-related injuries. So you'll forgive me if I'm a little wary of you exporting your your clumsy, gun-weilding arses to various ports and anchorages around the world. ;-)
Untrained people like you have accidents, Not gun toting people with training. I too, am ex-military with combat experence. Have taken more lives than you have friends, and not by chance. God Bless America.
..Michael..
Old 17-06-2011, 16:33   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Untrained people like you have accidents, Not gun toting people with training. I too, am ex-military with combat experence. Have taken more lives than you have friends, and not by chance. God Bless America.
..Michael..
still doesnt make it legal to bring them into foreign countries......
Closed Thread

Tags
guns, piracy