Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 06:32   #1

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Capt Vern Murdered in Honduras

Im sorry if someone has already posted this but Capt Vern from Roatan/Utila was murdered this past Friday while sailing his Catamaran off the coast of the Bay Islands in Honduras. I knew him. I sailed with him. He was a good guy. I know I will be taken to task on this but as I have said many times before in this forum Honduras is one of the most dangerous places to sail in the world. Watch your 6.

Captain Vern Murdered at Sea, Skipper of the Daily Utila to Roatan Honduras Catamaran Ferry Service | Honduras News – Daily News about Honduras

Rest in Peace Capt Vern. You will be sadly missed. May the thug punks who took your life rot in Hell.
Old 20-11-2012, 07:11   #2

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Re: Capt Vern Murdered in Honduras

Dang, I was just there about a month ago. Was his the cat that was tied up in west end ???
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 07:17   #3

What in the world could have been their motive? Very sad news indeed. I enjoyed my stay in Roatan last year, especially the dolphin reserve...I'd certainly like to learn more before I venture back...

Maybe I watch too much Hercule Poirot, but I'd like to know why the usual first mate stayed behind...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 07:20   #4

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Heres a little more on Capt Vern and his Cat the Nina Elisabeth II:

Vern's Catamaran - Nina Elisabeth II - Utila - Reviews of Vern's Catamaran - Nina Elisabeth II - TripAdvisor
Old 20-11-2012, 07:57   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Truly sad indeed. Catefory4J, it is not just the Bay Islands that have become increasingly unsafe for cruisers - due to the increase in thefts, boardings, robberies (and worse) in so many areas in the Caribbean, the entire area is beginning to look like 'paradise lost'. Yes, I know, there are still some reasonably safe places to go and one should always take precautions against crime: for example, it is unwise to invite strangers on board, it is unwise to anchor in isolated areas, it is unwise to show any overt signs of wealth (although the boat is probably enough to be considered that), but the landscape has changed dramatically over the last several years.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:16   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Is this thread open?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:28   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
I know I will be taken to task on this but as I have said many times before in this forum Honduras is one of the most dangerous places to sail in the world. Watch your 6.

Sad story! I don't know if you are going to be taken to task and I don't really know that much about Honduras, but I feel this goes into the the "lowlife scums are everywhere" category.
Old 20-11-2012, 10:42   #8
cruiser

Captain Vern Murdered at Sea, Skipper of the Daily Utila to Roatan Honduras Catamaran Ferry Service | Honduras News – Daily News about Honduras
We were in Utila and Roatan recently. We met Vern. This is very sad. Vern was very well known in the area. He did a Roatan/Utila ferry every day rain or shine for many years on a modified FP Cat.
I have to point out though that Vern was not a "cruiser". He ran a passenger ferry service and was murdered by "passengers". The motive is unclear. Although Honduras does have the highest murder rate in the world, the Bay Islands are relatively safe. Roatan and Utila have the best diving and the cheapest dive schools anywhere. Guanaja is the best port to leave from if heading south. We fully intend to visit these places again in 2013. These islands are almost free to check in and out of. I am hoping that they reopen the west end moorings. I am not trying to diminish what happened but want to point out that stories like this can have a profound effect on where us cruisers decide to go. This has a mixed effect. The anchorages are less crowded, but we lose safety. Also the local economy suffers. Let's not mark these places off of the map. Instead we can apply "safety in numbers" and help each other keep a sharp lookout.
Old 20-11-2012, 10:42   #9

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
the entire area is beginning to look like 'paradise lost'.

Brad
They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise,
kiss it goodbye

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:06   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

Sorry to hear about Capt. Vern, the actions of a few bad apples tends to stain the whole. I work with many folks from Honduras and have found all of them to be good, honorable, hard working people.
Old 20-11-2012, 22:36   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Truly sad indeed. Catefory4J, it is not just the Bay Islands that have become increasingly unsafe for cruisers - due to the increase in thefts, boardings, robberies (and worse) in so many areas in the Caribbean, the entire area is beginning to look like 'paradise lost'. Yes, I know, there are still some reasonably safe places to go and one should always take precautions against crime: for example, it is unwise to invite strangers on board, it is unwise to anchor in isolated areas, it is unwise to show any overt signs of wealth (although the boat is probably enough to be considered that), but the landscape has changed dramatically over the last several years.

Brad
I believe everything you say but I thought the point of cruising was self-sufficiency in remote areas. It sounds like there is little point in cruising those grounds no matter how cheap it is. It sounds more like you need a bunker on the water to enjoy the place.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 23:07   #12

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Let's not mark these places off of the map. Instead we can apply "safety in numbers" and help each other keep a sharp lookout.
I understand the concerns for the local economy etc. But, the best way to promote an attitude for change is to cause a dip in the economy. I think cruisers should avoid Honduras until such tiomes as the authorities show a measure of committment to ridding the nation of its deserved bad safety reputation.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 01:00   #13
cruiser

Quote:
I understand the concerns for the local economy etc. But, the best way to promote an attitude for change is to cause a dip in the economy
I disagree. Nobody except for a few marinas that we are all to cheap to stay at anyway depend on income from cruisers in Roatan. Utila would do fine withou us as well. What economy? Most of Honduras is poorer than dirt. This drives the people to commit desperate acts. The authorities in Honduras are never going to scrape it together. Even if we could do something to "punish" their economy it would only make matters worse. Meanwhile there are three beautiful Islands sitting there only 120 miles from Rio Dulce. Best scuba diving in this half of the world! Thousands of cruise ship passengers visit Roatan every month. The moorings that were available to us in west end were recently closed and the area is closed to anchoring. Hopefully this will be reversed. Clearing in and out of there is almost free. We shouldn't go to these places demanding that they be honored we are here. We are crapping in their water and leaving our trash on their islands. It is a privilege and an honor to be allowed to be there. Yes it can be dangerous. At least you can choose whether to be there or not. How safe would you feel if you were Honduran and had a family to feed? I am planning going back there next year. If you want to organize a boycott of dangerous places, you can do it on another thread RIP Captain Vern, you were a courageous man!
Old 21-11-2012, 07:44   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

How very sad. I've delivered two catamarans to Roatan and felt as safe as houses each time, last time two weeks' ago. Delightful people, easy and cheap clearance procedure, gorgeous area.

RIP Captain Vern.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:25   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:

Brad

we totally disagree -- we have been from mexico down and around to colombia back to panama then across to jamaica and down the island chain to trinidad --
unsafe -- if you do something stupid yes - we lived for 7 years in miami and it was probably more dangerous than most places we have been in the carib -
like any usa or canadian town there are places you do not go or anchor alone - but we have anchored all over alone - we have sailed a lot by ourselves and never once had a problem - but we listen to the cruisers nets and learn what is safe and what is not -
no we don't invite strangers aboard as they the bad guys can come from any country - can you say jose martin from spain in panama and windward islands -

we have really enjoyed the carib and the people - and it is as safe as any town in canada or the usa

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras