Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 12:09   #91
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Bounty sinking official report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
You can call the captain a fool all you want and it doesn't explain how he spent the rest of his life without people noticing that fact....

Jim
But Jim, if I made the same decision and killed someone you and everyone on the forum would call me a fool!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:43   #92

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
But Jim, if I made the same decision and killed someone you and everyone on the forum would call me a fool!

Mark
And I bet you wouldn't mind a bit!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 13:00   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:

You can call the captain a fool all you want and it doesn't explain how he spent the rest of his life without people noticing that fact nor why if the decision was so clearly apparent did the crew follow him in this foolish endeavor. Were they fools too?

Jim
You are only as good as your last balls up. Unfair, yes, but that is the way of it.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 23:36   #94

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
You are only as good as your last balls up. Unfair, yes, but that is the way of it.
These words should be hanging on a plaque at every skippers desk.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 17:55   #95

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
i agree it may be what is said here and by others who do not have a stake in this so are free to throw out stuff that makes them feel better but doesn't really affect anything.

People who care about performance don't think like that. It is impossible to go your entire life making reasonable decisions and then when you make a bad one be a "fool". You have made a bad a decision and there were reasons for it that an investigation might not be able to uncover. For people who are actually charged with improving the safety of ships and crew it has to be very disappointing that the investigation was unable to uncover that reason.

I disagree with you MarkJ. If you made a decision that killed someone I wouldn't call you a fool. You have done too many other things right to just assume that. That's not to say I would vote against keelhauling given the right circumstances though.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 18:14   #96
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Just dont keelhaul me under my own boat. That could hurt. It needs a haul out

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:11   #97

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
That's not to say I would vote against keelhauling given the right circumstances though.

Jim
Would mixing a poor quality margarita be the right circumstances?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18   #98

Boat: Various

I think calling someone a fool is a poor choice of words. I would say they acted very irresponsibly. And in the case of a Captain with the responsibility of a crew and/or passengers that irresponsible act becomes a criminal offense in endangering the lives of others.

If you're driving your car, you're sober, you're within the speed limit, and you run a red light for some reason resulting in an accident, then that's just what it is, an "Accident."

But if you're a bus driver, with the appropriate license and you're hauling a group of people as part of your job. They don't need to go anywhere tonight but you want to get there. Conditions are horrible, tornado warnings, high winds. The bus is old, the tires are worn and barely legal if they are, the steering is pulling indicating wheel alignment problems. You take off into the area of the tornado warning. You're the only vehicle on the road. You can't see with the wind and rain and you drive 30 mph over the speed limit. Between the wind and the rain you drive off the road resulting in the loss of your life and one more and critical injuries to others. Then I'd charge you with a criminal act. That's not an accident. Thats a group of horrible choices that you, as a professional, should have known could lead to a wreck and loss of life.

This isn't disparaging the life or character of the man. This is characterizing the decisions he made versus reasonable standards for a man in his position. This isn't the type mistake we all make every day. This is a conscious and overt act putting lives in danger.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote