Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2010, 14:05   #121

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Hud,where are you finding mileages covered?i would love to see 24hr runs posted daily from both the girls voyages.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 14:08   #122
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The link that sec906 posted has her daily position reported as xx miles below the Equator, so you can do the math.
Old 04-03-2010, 22:26   #123

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Abby's Latest Post.

Am I misinterpreting things here, or is there something decidedly odd about Abby's latest post?

I quote....

"Are you out of fresh food? Yes, I have been for quite awhile now. And no, I don't do any baking.

Will I go to Easter Island? I'm not planning on it. Since I was able to re-start from Cabo san Lucais I am still hoping to go the rest of the way with out stopping.

Is your AIS working? Yes, my AIS is working, both transmitting and receiving. I had been having trouble with it at first but it is up and running now.

Re: reefing in 5 knots In the picture in my last blog where the main sail is reefed, I had to reef so that I could reach to hook the main sail back to the truck on the mast. It somehow unscrewed itself. Its much more comfortable to have the sail to sit on while sitting up on the boom and I took the picture while I was up there. Don't worry, that reef came right back out as soon as I was done.

RE: outer track for staysail sheet: There is an outer track for the stay sail sheet and jib sheet, but as I have had the jib out for most of my trip so far I leave the jib sheet running through the outer track. If I was going to have my stay sail out for any length of time I would switch them."

Does that all seem as odd to you as it does to me?
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:11   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
Am I misinterpreting things here, or is there something decidedly odd about Abby's latest post?
I quote ...
... Does that all seem as odd to you as it does to me?
No, but I can be quite dense.
To what do you specifically refer?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 22:33   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
No, but I can be quite dense.
To what do you specifically refer?
I referred to 'it' above.

But now we have a post asserting she's bored....Albeit, an admission which came as a question.

To me....and of course only to me....that suggests a mind-set of AB-Z thinking. As in, can we just get 'this' over and done with. It sits in stark contrast with the attitude of other solo-circumnavigators, and does tend to support the posit that Abby has been pushed into this voyage rather than having been pulled into it for the pure pleasure of doing it.

I guess the trials of the SO will tell us more.
Old 17-03-2010, 23:08   #126

Phew! I think we can all relax a bit. Her last blog shows she's getting wedged in to way of things.

Single-handing is a bit like being in prison....not that I have, but I've read enough about it....

The first little while is serious culture shock till, one day, you wake up and everything is kinda normal.

We can just hope her wee speedy boat is up to taking a few really hard hits and that she is also up for them.
Old 18-03-2010, 08:13   #127

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post

Single-handing is a bit like being in prison....not that I have, but I've read enough about it.....
Reading someone else's preciptation and then interrupting that preciptation based on your own experiences doesn't prepare you for reality. To put it another way, you don't have a clue until you've done it.

Single-handling is an individual endeavor, something that is not enjoyed by everyone. One must be very comfortable with who and what they are.

It's interesting to compare the atitudes of Jessie and Abby from their post. Jessie sounds quite happy with her voyage, Abby is struggling a bit.

Regards John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 08:51   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Reading someone else's preciptation and then interrupting that preciptation based on your own experiences doesn't prepare you for reality ...
I'm not quite certain what you intend to say; since PRECIPITATION refers to eitherrain, sleet, hail, snow and other forms of water falling from the sky, or the condensation of a solid from a solution during a chemical reaction; and PRECIPTATION has no meaning, of which I'm aware.

Why would anyone interrupt someone's preciption?

What would prepare you for reality?

Old 18-03-2010, 09:12   #129

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Rather than continue this in an improper thread, where I'm at a disadvantage to the more judgemental/intellectual of this forum, I'll PM you.
regards John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 09:30   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

John:
I've read your PM, and take note of your criticism (which I understand), but I still don't know what you intended to convey in your post #127.
What would prepare you for reality?

Old 18-03-2010, 10:32   #131

After Hud's post on Feb. 27th, I haven't been able to follow much in the succeeding posts in this thread at all. Abby certainly indicated that she was anxious to experience some more boisterous conditions. She's getting them now and seems very pleased about it.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 12:48   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread is less about Abby; than it is about what WE THINK about Abby, her adventure(s), and allied topics.

I’ll agree that “interrupting someone’s preciptation” might be a little off-topic (or not; if/when we find out what it means), as might be some of my more dubious contributions.

To read what Abby has to say,
Goto ➥ Abby's Blog

Today is Day 55 (3/18/2010), and she’s about 262 miles North of “The Bloop”
The Bloop is located about 50̊ 0' 0" S, 100̊ 0' 0" W.
The Bloop was recorded by NOAA during the summer of1997, on the Equatorial Pacific Ocean autonomous hydrophone array. The sound rises rapidly in frequency over about one minute, and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km. The origin of the sound is unknown.
Five other significant unexplained sounds have been named by NOAA’s Acoustic Monitoring Project of the VENTS Program: Julia, Train, Slowdown, Whistle, and Upsweep.

More ➥ http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/vents/acoustics.html

Old 18-03-2010, 12:55   #133

Well, it's always risky to guess, but I suggest the words John may have intended to be "perception" and "interpreting".

~
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 13:16   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Assuming Jim D’s (thanx) interruption is kerwrecked; I’d translate thus:

“Reading someone else's perception, and then interpreting that perception based on your own experiences doesn't prepare you for reality ...”
becomes comprehensible, if not defensible.

Rereading John ‘s post, I also note the much clearer, though no less indefensible: “To put it another way, you don't have a clue until you've done it.”

I’ll agree that experience and understanding are related; but to suggest that knowledge is impossible without experience is ludicrous.

Personal or practical experience is often touted as a uniquely valuable source of knowledge. Assumptions about the necessity, superiority, or insightfulness of “first-hand familiarity” with a phenomenon can shape our perceptions of an individual’s expertise. These assumptions can be superficial, however. Prior experience can have benefits, but is not an unassailable source of knowledge and should not be treated as an unqualified “good.” Having “done it right” would certainly be more useful than merely having done it wrong (although some of us do learn from our mistakes).

Old 19-03-2010, 08:28   #135

Boat: Sceptre 41
Wild Eyes is on track to see some weather. I was lining up the Passageweather Forecasts and the location of where Wild Eyes is now and she is on course to arrive at the Cape with a 980 mb low, 35 to 50 knot winds and 5 to 8 meter seas. I hope that the weather routers have some magic up their sleeves. If it were me I would slow down and try to ride down the back of the low. but there is a 960 mb low behind it. I am scared for her now. There aren't many places to pull in along the west coast of South America and all the reading that I have done about them they are very difficult anchorages with complicated anchoring techniques. She says she is having fun in her first gale 35 knots. She is 10 knots shy of a gale. Say your prayers everyone. This is the test of what Abby is made of.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote