Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2006, 21:18   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sailing Focus - Are discussions loosing focus?

In the last couple of months I've noticed lots of posts that have little or nothing to do with sailing on here.

I've began to wonder if a couple of the most prolific posters here feel that they are the only ones with access to news sources.

I admit that I do not know all that much about sailing, cruising, and the pursuit of all things to do with boats... that's why I'm here.

I do know that there are lots of other things going on in the world but I do have access to that stuff elsewhere. I can find out all I want to know about beans that don't cause gas or volcanoes on Yahoo.

With all due respect, did the focus of this board change from an excellent source, and discussion of, marine knowledge to a contest to see who can post the most?

I deeply appreciate the help this forum has given me but can't help but wonder if the focus has changed.

John Mallon
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 21:32   #2

John.

This forum is the best forum out here on the internet.

Perhaps you should join a few other forums. And make comaprsions between the other forums to this forum. Before you start judging this site.

The other info you mentioned is a form of information & entertainment. If you cannot appriciate this forum's point of view. I suggest you go elsewhere?

No need making this place too bland with too much blah blah blah. Add a little light to the wonderful information. And other articles. And that's what makes this forum #1.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 21:34   #3
Kai Nui

Your concern has been addressed by others. The focus here is still the same. Quite a few members feel that the articles being posted have value, and many of them do, in a round about way relate to cruising. They give a feel for what is going on around the world. Since cruisers are, by definition, travelers, this information is relevant to cruising. I agree that the information is available in other locations, and personally, I usually do not read the threads that are just AP articles, but, for some, it is valuable.
Old 13-05-2006, 21:52   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Jemsea,
Your concerns are noted. The site has grown leaps and bounds just in this past year, which brings in a higher population. And with that we'll get more diversity, something we'll all have to bare.

Like KN had mentioned, pick and choose the topics that interest you and just hit the back button on the rest. One man's garbage is another's gold. At least they think so
.................................................. ._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 21:58   #5

One mans garbage is another mans gold. You hit the nail on the head delmarrey!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 13-05-2006, 23:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi John, I think firstly, it is important for all to understand that this place is growing fast. As it grows, we will have some throuble with issues as you have pointed out. The thing to take to heart, is the trust that the Moderators and Admin team are working hard in the background trying to smooth those issues out. It's being handled as diplomaticaly as possible, as none of us want anyone to take anything the wrong way and end up in a huff. Of course, when yopu mention the word, "Diplomaticly" that seems to align itself with another word called "slowly"
Here is also a tricky part to through into the mix. This type of BB is unique. There are not a lot of them around like this one, that manages to maintain community, knowledge base and and purpose. You will come across site's that are knowledge bases only. They are good, but lack community. And you will often find maybe one or two that are considered Gurus on a subject and very few others ever get a chance to have a say. Then you come across the ones that have lost their sense of purpose. These are the sites that once had good descusions on topic, but after time, the topics become more of a general banter and you end up with a very small group, may 5 or so, that talk among themselves. Even if the group is welcoming of newbies, newbies find it hard to join in, or want to join in, because they feel like they are simply entering in to a private discussion around a table in a bar, if you get what I mean.
What we have that is unique here, is we have cruisers. People that by their very nature, want to meet others. So we build up relationships, even though it is just via a net.
What we as Mod and Admin team have to do, is ensure that we maintain the "community" first and formost. That essentially means that anyone happening upon this site, feel welcome and feel like they can participate. Secondly, that a knowledge base is retained. and I do mean those two in that order. And thirdly, that the "sense of purpose" is maintained. That may not be the most appropriate word to use, but what I mean by that, is that the topics remain relevant to a general point. There will always be some grey creap in as the "community" aspect retains itself. We are and should have a bit of "creative banter" to build and maintain freindships. There are always going to be some slightly off center answers, as Newbies test the deepend of their knowledge. Some find they have to paddle back to the shallow end of the topic, but they should always be made to feel that they can at least test their abilities in the deep end every now and then.
And finaly, if we want more experianced people to comment, then they have to want to. These places are often looked by many as, "what can I get out of it" BB's. But it isn't what you can get, it's what you can give. Jemsea, you have been around for awhile, so I know you are not a newbie sailer. We would all appreciate hearing a lot more from you if you would share your knowledge and experiances. Then you might make ones like me shut up more

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 23:49   #7

I've noticed the same trend as John. Maybe that "sense of purpose" could be promoted above third priority.

The board is usu. quite patient when threads drift off into long rambles that lose their original focus, and I guess all in all that's okay (and consistent with human nature). But to begin completely unrelated topics seems a bit beyond the pale.

I enjoy all of you, even when I'm arguing with you. But I do come for the sailing/cruising atmosphere primarily.

With great respect, and much bowing and groveling,
Jeff
Old 14-05-2006, 00:46   #8

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Another point can be made is what post have you made regarding sailing?

Why not start some yourself?

The views on all sailing points can be endless and timeless.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 00:57   #9

I second Lynx's point of view.

John. I see you've been more of a listener, than a talker on this forum. Inwhich you're not contributing anything.

Also. Topics posted tend to drift into the sublime once in a while. We are all human beings here. Nobody is perfect.

Also. If we tend to drift totally into talking blah blah blah. Then we'll be just like boatdesign.com. Yuck!! BORING!! But I am a member of that forum. And 20 odd other forums as well.

This forum is very unique. No other forum can hold a light up to this forum. Also to note, is that this forums' member contributions have a bit low this past week. So that also started a negative trend towards less "technical" stuff being posted on this site.

I hope this answered some of your questions John Mallon?

Old 14-05-2006, 01:10   #10

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I hope to pose some questions on your views to enlighten myself.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 03:32   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We really don't want to unleash the thread police. Over the years I've spent online it does not work all that well. You can't beat up people up to make them behave. We can delete threads or messages but as already noted we are not using that as first remedy because none of us believe in it. We will remind people which way north is should they lose direction from time to time.

We only recently started removing spam as it seems our growth attracks that problem too. We never had any spam before recent times. It's posted by someone that just stumbles in joins and posts only once. A larger comminity comes with more diversity. We gain more than we lose but with it we get some threads we won't all like.

Join in and contribute to those threads you like or content you want to see more of. Do not reply to the others. Staying on topic or starting a new topic helps set the tone of what this forum is all about. Help when you have something usefull to say or an additional question that seems useful to you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 03:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
There were 17 threads with new postings, when I logged in this AM.
Of these 13 (76.4%) were definitely tightly focused on sailing & cruising issues.
Of the other 4:
- Hello (introduction) has evolved into a sailing school discussion.
- Focus (this thread) is a valuable examination of the Forum’s characteristics and direction.
- Volcano is newsworthy & (at least) obliquely of interest to Cruisers.
- Jokes
Not a bad ratio of content vs fluff.

Personally, I would prioritize informational content ahead of community; but (then) I’ve been labeled “antisocial”.
I come to the CruisersForum for information. I keep coming back; because I get information (content), from sources I’ve learned to trust (familiarity), in a welcoming & friendly environment (community). I think our “product” is information, and our “presentation” is community. Both are important (you wouldn’t sell Ferraris out of a decrepit slum warehouse); but let’s not put the “cart ahead of the horse”.

As one of the “talkers” on this Forum, I value the “listeners” highly. I value myself highly enough to require an audience for my ramblings. Continuing the business analogy, all commerce requires at least two parties - Producers, and Consumers. Both are active participants in trade.

I don’t think we “drift into the sublime” ; but rather we strive for the sublime (the quality of transcendent greatness), whilst avoiding the ridiculous*.
”From the sublime to the ridiculous there is but one step.” ~ Napoleon, as paraphrasing Tom Paine.

I generally agree with CaptainJeff’s entreaty to discourage ‘completely unrelated original topics’, while tolerating the occasional ‘drift’.

A public self-examination, such as this one can be a good thing. The Forum Admin’ Team is currently working on these issues, and this constructive input will be invaluable in helping your team maintain & improve the Forum.

Respectfully,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 06:05   #13
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
CaptainK

Speaking for myself..... this time of year has me running around fixing/upgrading the boat, and then ... actually sailing!! This leaves less time for posting.

As a guy who's not new to sailing, but very new to boat ownership, I treasure the membership contributions to this forum. I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all the help offered when I have a question. I can only hope that as I learn more, I can someday help others.

This is truly the best forum of it's kind, and I'd be lost without it.

Rick in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK
Also to note, is that this forums' member contributions have a bit low this past week. So that also started a negative trend towards less "technical" stuff being posted on this site.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 08:39   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
Cap'nK

You said:

"Perhaps you should join a few other forums. And make comaprsions between the other forums to this forum. Before you start judging this site.

The other info you mentioned is a form of information & entertainment. If you cannot appriciate this forum's point of view. I suggest you go elsewhere?

John. I see you've been more of a listener, than a talker on this forum. Inwhich you're not contributing anything.

Also. If we tend to drift totally into talking blah blah blah. Then we'll be just like boatdesign.com. Yuck!! BORING!! But I am a member of that forum. And 20 odd other forums as well."

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. No personal attacks from me but I respectfully ask that you lighten up a little!
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 08:42   #15

You're welcome Rick.

Some weeks there will be alot more psoting than other weeks. And so forth.

Due to all the great weather we've in the US & Canada. Being that time of the year again. Alot of members might spend more time sailing, or fixing thier boats and such.

It's just a yearly trend. And like Rick. I will happen. When you're busy working on your boat and out crusing. Well?!!!!